AZ only has E54 now, any other states like this?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a fricking bummer stupid az voted down weed now this, **** man sucks I gained 27 hp using e85 b4 I'm just intake and exhaust. I threw a GT350 Manifold on and getting it dyno tune today and I was like I got e85 in the trunk and he was like no its e54 now I'm like damn it I was hoping for some sexy gains well still be better than 91 I'm thinking but who knows.

I only lost 2 degrees of timing going from E85 to E54, you shouldn't lose more than 10whp and it's safer than 91

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Went to the same station Stripes I filled up on 9-16-16.....tested E90 today!

So far, that "54-83" sticker has not been accurate. Tested higher than max (86 n 90) the two times I've filled up the past 2 months

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Is an E55 tune safe for E85 gasoline? If not, you guys may have to get a few tunes that run the gamut of ethanol content ratings and swap tunes as your tests indicate.

I wonder if they do this during the winter due to ethanol's propensity to absorb moisture? Lower the ethanol content, lower to potential water content.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
A quick search has a couple sources saying its due to cold starts in the colder temperatures due to flash points and vapor pressures and other such science stuff. Every region runs a different class of ethanol at different seasons. Class 1 being a "summer" blend with the highest ethanol content. They talked about 70% being to lowest ethanol content allowed though, not 55...

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yes I've always read they lower it for cold starts in northern states.

I left 1 gallon of pre tested ethanol in a plastic container for 9 months in a very humid garage. It tested 85% at the pump. I tested it again 9 months later and got 85% again. No additional water that I could tell....or one would figure the ethanol test would have changed.

I dumped the gallon in the car and it ran just as good as it always does. No issues.

MG0h3

Established Member
Is an E55 tune safe for E85 gasoline? If not, you guys may have to get a few tunes that run the gamut of ethanol content ratings and swap tunes as your tests indicate.

I wonder if they do this during the winter due to ethanol's propensity to absorb moisture? Lower the ethanol content, lower to potential water content.

Running a higher ethanol content than what you are tuned for will leave you lean. As the number goes up, there is less gasoline and you need more volume.

Users who are viewing this thread