AWE Touring axlebacks installed - va-voom!

nyuk98GT

Established Member
SVTers,

Took advantage of Lethal's President's Day site-wide sale and got some AWE Touring axlebacks.

Installed the mufflers last week and I'm quite happy with the tone and sound volume produced. These are straight-through mufflers and the construction and fitment is top-notch. Tone is very deep at idle and I would even say tame at idle and anything under 1500 RPM. Under 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, the sound is similar to Borla S-types but a bit more aggressive (yes, it's a Touring muffler). The absence of resonators (Lethal OTA pipes) contributes to the perked up volume. Downshifting gives a nice burble. There is no rasp or 'blattiness' (windows down perspective) and there is NO drone anywhere in the RPM range (only up to about 4k, so far) despite trying to induce drone by lugging the engine while going up a hill. AWE has figured out how to eliminate drone.

The only minor concern I have is starting the car in the early morning. The authoritative staccato bark on a cold start no doubt aggravates the neighbors but I think the sound can be reduced a good bit by dropping the initial crank RPM from 1200 to something more reasonable.

Sorry for not posting a video yet; I'll see what I can do in the next few days.

If you're looking for some high quality, made in the USA mufflers, take a look at AWE. I think you'll like what you see and hear.

edit
I hope these links work:

edit2
Links didn't work. Back to the video hosting drawing board.
end of edit2

end of edit

Chris

Last edited:

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Attempted to add videos of warm idle and a cold start-up.

EDIT: ... and my video hosting skills are near zero. Let me work on this for a bit, lol.

Chris

Last edited:

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Update:

The AWE Tourings were just too much of a good thing for me: they produce a lot of sound volume. So, off they came and the FRPP GT500 Touring mufflers went back on.

Recently picked up some Kooks axle-backs from a forum member and I think the Kooks are just about perfect in terms of exhaust sound quality. There is slight drone (with stock manifolds w/cats, MRT after-cat H-pipe, LP OTA pipes). Nice deep tone, a bit louder at start-up and idle than the Tourings, and a good bark at higher RPM. The exhaust note still provides the 5.0L V8 staccato voice and doesn't mush the pulses together. On a scale of 1 to 10 between Touring and Sport (FRPP), the Kooks are a 4 - noticably healthier sound than Touring but not as raw as Sports sound.

One last paragraph for axle-back shoppers: the AWE's have the same sound (to my ears) as Corsa Sports and there is absolutely zero drone with AWE's. Cabin volume is not intrusive - all the sound is out the back. The AWE's are top-notch quality so don't be shy about putting them on your car if you want a very healthy exhaust note.

Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread