Avoid JJ @ Woodbine Motorsports

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
I've never created one of these threads before, and I've been on the internet in car forums for a while. I generally have a positive experience with the shops I use.

A little about me (for character purposes) I'm 35 years old. I work in law enforcement and I'm a Veteran of Iraq twice. I served in the Army for 8 years. I have a 900hp Camaro that's been in GM High Tech Performance I built myself with the help of an FBody Shop. I held the stock SRT-4 1/4 mile record (that I think still exists) and I do all of my own wrenching, with the exception of tuning and engine building. I could probably open my own shop, but I have hammer hands and drop stuff every 5 seconds.

This morning I was hung-up on by JJ @ Woodbine. I'm not really sure what I did to him to receive such treatment. As you can see below, I've said Woobine was known for their service:

There are many good tuners, however geographically it's not always possible to get to some of these guys. Me? I refuse to do a mail-order tune. It ain't happen'n. Here are my opinions on tuners on the East Coast:

If you're in Eastern PA/Jersey take a ride to JDM.
If you're in Maryland/NOVA Woodbine or Revolution.
If you're in VA Excessive Motorsports.

The tune JJ@Woodbine put into my car was a nightmare. I can't describe how bad it was. It was so bad that I never wanted to return to his shop. Why was it so bad?

My theory is that the car was rushed. JJ @ Woodbine wanted to make NMRA in Chicago. He tuned my car just before he left for the event. Woodbine was going to do both of my family's 2013 GT's, but he didn't have time (the other car went to Revolution Auto).

In defense and for transparency, my car's PCM bricked at one point during tuning. I've heard two theories so far as to why: Something proprietary with Vortech's tune or the last update from SCT is wonky. Either way, JJ had to put in extra work to get the car to start. I guess that is somehow my fault? I'm not sure.

So here we go. The story. All I ask during this, is that if you think it's MY FAULT, why would I want to get my car tuned TWICE and spend over $800.00? My only want was a properly running car for Mustang week.

JJ@Woodbine is 65 miles away from me (90 minutes one way). I spoke with JJ ahead of time and wanted to make sure the car would be right for Mustang week. He assured me it would make power and be safe to drive. At some point between July 8th-10th JJ attempted to tune the car.

The car in question is a 2013 Mustang GT, with a Vortech V3, JLT Supercharger Intake, Kooks SS Headers, Borla S-Type and X pipe.

I brought JJ my show-quality (read clean) orange vinyl wrapped car. When I picked the car back up, the vinyl looked like it had been molested by greasy hands. It was filthy. Also my Innovate gauge plug was hanging on the floor with footprints on it.

I had my exhaust tips wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. My vinyl installer worked very hard to get it right. JJ melted the vinyl on the tips because "he didn't know it was vinyl and I should have told him". He was very rude about this and didn't apologize for the damage (even though I wasn't that upset about it). That wrap job cost over $100.00. But I'd rather maintain a good relationship with a shop in the long run.

20130730_120853_zps1b7021d2.jpg

JJ was rushing me out the door. He wanted to leave for NMRA and as a racer I completely understood.

I'm not a dyno whore. So I didn't get all crazy about the numbers, because a dyno is just a tuning tool. JJ said the numbers on his dyno were low because it was hot out. Um, ok? I didn't ask. I only asked JJ where a good place to eat was and I was on my way back home.

JJ doesn't own a shop. He works out of his home garage (keep this in mind for late). I had to maneuver the car out of his driveway, while I waited for my friend to maneuver my truck. When I pulled out of the driveway, the car stalled. It stalled again when I got to the tavern he recommended for food.

When I got into the tavern, I looked at the dyno sheet. This is what I saw:

20130730_120950_zps1c7bff78.jpg

This is the whole sheet:

20130730_120802_zpse5a13ceb.jpg

Notice anything? How about this:

20130730_120811_zpse3ca1bd9.jpg

See that? That's called faking the funk. Everyone uses SAE. You use Standard Smoothing if you want to inflate numbers. Also, notice there's not a baseline. At this point, I gave JJ @ Woodbine the benefit of the doubt and figured he gave me the wrong dyno sheet. No big deal.

So when I finally got to a place to where I could do a WOT pull, my ass dyno told me the car was down on power. Now granted, it was in the 90's, but now the car's dying at stop lights, and the dyno sheet. Oh... Boy.

The credit car receipt that JJ has attached to my bill states the credit card was run at 15:29:31 (3:29pm) I picked the car up approximately 4-5pm, ate for an hour at the tavern and continued home.

When I finished my drive, the car was a WRECK. Stalling, no power and throwing codes. WOT AFR was 10-10.5. I CALLED JJ that night:

20130730_122532_zps819a9aad.jpg

That's approximately 2-3 hours after I picked up the car, to tell him the car wasn't right. JJ @ Woodbine gave me numerous excuses. Again, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He said the car had to adjust, it was hot, he didn't turn off all the electronic nannies yadda yadda yadda. Now keep in mind this is my first modular GT. None of this would have flown on my LSX's. But, what can I do? Well over the next few weeks I educated myself.

The next morning I'm driving the car to work, like he told me to:
Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-28-23_zpse3e761e1.png

Shortly after I texted this? The car started to stall again (you'll just have to trust my integrity here)

Screenshot_2013-07-30-13-25-19_zps6b525db8.png

So now it's amateur hour. Even if you're 100% with JJ at the end of this story, and all the excuses that I'm sure are about to come, he didn't BASELINE the car BEFORE working on it. So that to me, means, he was in a rush from the beginning. Meanwhile JJ lives at his shop. Insult to injury.

I then asked him a question I already knew the answer to:
Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-29-09_zps5e996367.png

When I asked him if the car was safe? He called me. I don't have any more text messages. He said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car. Everything I was telling him had some sort of excuse or explanation. So at this point, I'm already almost done with him. Why? Because he wouldn't shoot me straight. It was never JJ. It was my car, me, Vortech, the heat... EVERYTHING under the sun. Oh, and then this happened:

Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-29-19_zps88cfb95d.png

I broke down at my bank. I had to have my car towed to my house. More money and time down the drain. JJ was in Chicago at NMRA. That's all he cared about. At this point he calls me again and tells me he's going to send me Vortech's original tune to put in the car. WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW WAS JJ WAS LYING ABOUT THE TUNE. HE RE-SENT ME THE SAME TUNE AND ADMITTED THIS ON THE PHONE BEFORE HANGING UP ON ME TODAY 7/30/13.

I went over the whole car. Top to bottom. No boost leaks, no ripped couplers, no belt slip, the MAF was clear. I checked everything. When I told JJ this? He scoffed at me. (Meanwhile I was literally ripping the engine out of a Mach1 last night).

I babied the car down to Mustang Week. It got 19mpg average when I usually got 24-26mpg. I didn't want to put another tune in the car in the case the car bricked.

That's when I got this:
Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-29-44_zpseca2f793.png

Now the whole time this guy was baiting me, to see if it was his tune or not. Everything genuine from him, was complete BS. Because I was damned if I did, damned if I don't. If I installed JJ's tune, and it ran ok? He says "See I sent you the same tune". If the tune didn't fix things "See, it was SCT/Vortech/my Car/Sun Flares".

So I ask again about a refund (I'm literally arguing with this guy at Mustang week, and he's asking me to find other people at Myrtle to fix his tune) It was very embarrassing:

Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-29-55_zpsdbd6d6c4.png

Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-30-51_zps6d662f7e.png

Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-31-00_zps08495d96.png

Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-31-11_zpsafe58082.png

Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-31-20_zps8386e99d.png

He calls me again:
20130730_123244_zpscca8abd5.jpg

JJ states (and you'll have to trust me here) that he will refund 100% of my money when I put the Vortech tune back in the car and it runs fine. During this conversation, and I want to make this perfectly clear, I offered to take the car back to him, let him install the Vortech tune himself and run it on the dyno to prove I had integrity, then refund my money. He said it wasn't necessary.

When I got back from Mustang week, I followed up with JJ:

Screenshot_2013-07-30-12-31-26_zps650eab34.png

I called him today. I installed the Vortech tune in the car, put about 100-150 miles on the car. Runs fine. I called JJ up, told him this, and he had his "gotcha" moment. Problem is? I have the original Vortech tune from Vortech.

Gotcha indeed.

TL;DR

Look at my dyno sheet. JJ@Woodbine can't make power with a V3 Coyote. Lies and tries to trick customers.

JJ I'm sorry I had to go this route. Your tune sucked man. It happens. You chose not to do the right thing and refund my money. I am going to dispute this with VISA. If that doesn't work I'm going to look to take it further.

Last edited:

PhillyLS1

Established Member
What was the "gotcha" as to why he didn't refund you?

When I called JJ on the phone today, to see how to proceed, he asked me if I installed the Vortech tune. I said "Yes".
He said "I didn't send you the Vortech tune, I resent you the same tune". "I told you it was your car".

And he hung up on me.

I have the proprietary tune from Vortech. I got it from them directly. I'm not sure if he knows that or not.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
OP, hate that you don't trust "email" tuning. However, guys like Jon Lund and Shaun @ AED have this figured out. I'm just the opposite. We have a local Ford performance shop in my city that does dyno tuning, but the owner hasn't been able to impress me with Ti-VCT tuning. He has no problems with older engine types, but the new Coyote is a different animal.

Example, 2012 GT with a Vortech made ~600 rwhp from the local shop. He was afraid to push it any harder and said the MAF freq. was pegged. Jon Lund took the same car to 670's all day long with no issues to this day.

That being said, I choose datalog street tuning with email support any day of the week.

Last edited:

corruptor

Established Member
Can't imagine going through that experience. Good luck to you man. I would give him one more shot and let him know you have the stock Vortech tune and that you loaded that instead of his tune. If that goes to shit, then you have enough backup to dispute your credit card charge.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
When I called JJ on the phone today, to see how to proceed, he asked me if I installed the Vortech tune. I said "Yes".
He said "I didn't send you the Vortech tune, I resent you the same tune". "I told you it was your car".

And he hung up on me.

I have the proprietary tune from Vortech. I got it from them directly. I'm not sure if he knows that or not.

Makes sense now. Would be interested to hear his side of the story. As you mentioned it just sounds like he was in a hurry to get your car done and cut corners.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
Can't imagine going through that experience. Good luck to you man. I would give him one more shot and let him know you have the stock Vortech tune and that you loaded that instead of his tune. If that goes to shit, then you have enough backup to dispute your credit card charge.

I offered to take the car up there again. I told him I would take a day off from work, go there, let him see it's not the car etc. He said it wasn't necessary.

I mean, he even went back on his word for a partial refund. So... I dunno what else to do. I'm lucky enough to have this as my weekend car. But can you imagine if this was someone's DD?

I've heard nothing but good things about this guy. Until now.

Heuristic

Established Member
Got to hate when a tuner is trying to weasle his way out of fault. Hope this gets resolved without having to go the bank charge back/ court route.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Seems like you went above and beyond on this one and he fell short. Especially when you offered to bring the car back up to him and do the reflash in person. I'm not saying this is his normal way of dealing with customers or problems but he really dropped the ball on this one.

As far as a refund, he should at very least offered to put the car back on the dyno and attempt to retune it with you there after all the issues. He did provide a service (although a bad one it seems) so he deserves the opportunity to repair it. If he doesn't want to do that returning the car to how you had it before (you already did that) plus a refund minus expenses (dynos are not free). Say something like $75 for expenses. On this one though, with as bad as it got and he handled it, I'd say he should eat it, if not pay for you to get correctly tuned.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
Makes sense now. Would be interested to hear his side of the story. As you mentioned it just sounds like he was in a hurry to get your car done and cut corners.

Regardless of tuning issues and his story, would you let a V3 Coyote leave your shop making "547" horsepower? If you owned a shop that was literally next to your house, would you not go that extra 30 minutes to strap the car down, make a pull for the baseline?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well it sucks. I can see that it looks like he was trying to work with you. Hope everything works out I'm the long run.

04azuremach

Loud fast and fun
Established Member
I'll vouch for Keith's (PhillyLS1) integrity. I was there when he talked to him on the phone in MB and it was my Mach 1 he was helping me rip the motor out of last night.

Edit:

dyno says 1.06 correction factor. That's 516 rwhp SAE.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
OP paid to have the car properly tuned, he had time and expense in it as well. OP got a car that runs worse than when he brought it in, if things are as they seem the tuner needs to eat 100% of it

04azuremach

Loud fast and fun
Established Member
OP paid to have the car properly tuned, he had time and expense in it as well. OP got a car that runs worse than when he brought it in, if things are as they seem the tuner needs to eat 100% of it

Yes. It's pretty cut and dry. 100% refund and both parties part ways is the only feasible solution IMO.

I will say, however, that multiple shops have given me STD dyno sheets and I had to specifically ask for SAE each time. Must be a Ford shop thing.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
Wow.... That is pretty serious. I would definitely be at his shop until I got a refund, He fixed my car, or I was in cuffs.

I work in law enforcement. I can't do stuff like that.

I really don't want to. I just want my money back so that I can get a proper tune. I know this guy has a family and stuff, and I hate doing this. But he ripped me off.

Dave5.0

Established Member
Adam at Rev Auto is a genius. I PROMISE you wont have ANY issues with him if you let him retune it. The guy is an excellent tuner and an extremely friendly person.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
Adam at Rev Auto is a genius. I PROMISE you wont have ANY issues with him if you let him retune it. The guy is an excellent tuner and an extremely friendly person.

I'm taking my car to him as soon as I have the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread