Avoid car washes

5.0Black

Established Member
Hi Everyone,

Recently I worked on my friends 2017 Challenger Scat Pack with CSL+EXO. While it was nice to teach someone how to do the entire process itself, what wasn't nice was correcting a car littered in scratches predominately from car washes and foam brushes from self cleaning bays. If you look at the photo below, that was the state of the car every square inch of it.

49717341956_a0a806fe6e_k.jpg
Untitled by Sean C, on Flickr

After a solid amount of buffing with M105.

49670316113_c88a1200e6_k.jpg

49718571392_657b0cdb7d_k.jpg

As I was working/teaching I knew that I wanted to do a write up on the dangers of car washes. While I am sure all the regulars here are aware that car washes are not the best idea if they are avoidable, I wanted to write something up for newcomers as I didn't see anything early in the search history regarding this topic.

IMO there are 3 types of car washes; your stereotypical car wash, luxury car wash and touchless.

1. Stereotypical car wash: These car washes use bristles/brushes at high speed to clean your car. I refer to these bristles as death bristles since they can cause good scratching/swirling in your paint work. I won't talk about product or drying here. The bristles/brushes that make contact with your car are the biggest problem here. These bristles/brushes are not cleaned after every washing, some probably aren't even cleaned everyday. They collect a lot of dirt/grime and then make contact with your car at high speed. Simply put, it is just a bad idea that will cause scratching and even damage to trim.

2. Luxury car wash: These washes advertise themselves as paint safe due to softer materials used, and may even have a hand component. As opposed to those death bristles, they use soft cloths that droop down. This produces safer agitation in comparison to a stereotypical car wash, but still falls victim to same issue. They don't clean the cloths after every car. Dirt/Grime from previous cars will be pressed into your car which will cause scratching/swirl marks over time. Let's move onto the hand component as many luxury car washes offer hand applied tire shine or drying. Many of these people do not use a proper technique, in fact I have seen some people drop a towel on the ground only to use it on the same car. Poor drying technique can produce nasty swirls.

3. Touchless car wash: IMO the safest option in the automatic car wash world. Still, there are a couple drawbacks here. First, because it is touchless the use of aggressive chemicals are used here. This is not good for people who uses a sealant, wax or even a ceramic as it will cause premature wear over time. As aggressive as the chemicals are they don't remove everything either. Heavily soiled cars may have a good amount of grime left over. Using a waterless wash/QD can help here but you have to be mindful of your towels. Finally, the drying aspect is garbage. Usually you get 60-120 seconds which is nowhere near enough time to dry your car. This will produce water spots, which are not hard to remove with a QD, but if left unchecked for a long period of time can prove to be fairly stubborn to remove.

4. Self Cleaning/Do It Yourself Bays: While not an auto car wash I wanted to post on these as they are fairly common and a great way for people that lack the space (apartment/condo) to clean their cars by hand. Just show up with your own cleaning products and use the "power washer" to rinse. Couple things to note with self cleaning bays. If you are not using their chemicals for soap, I would avoid them, spray the power washer on water for 20 seconds to remove any potential soap residue. Finally, avoid the foam brushes like the plague. They are rarely clean and aren't paint safe to begin with.

I get it, car washes do have appeal for convenience and they do serve a purpose in a few areas that I could understand (harsh winters as one example). If you must use a car wash go touchless, just try be sparing in your frequency of visits and leave the bulk of your exterior detailing to proper handwashes. End of the day if you can clean your car by hand, you should.

EDIT: Moved Self Clean/Do It Yourself bays from an honorable mention to it's own point.

Last edited:

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Solid info. Never use a car wash of any kind...only in an emergency would I use a 'do it yourself' without using the brush.

Nice job on removing those defects!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice tips, but no way I would ever take my G70 to any car wash. I won't even go to my local guy who does hand washes, and he is pretty careful when washing. I have a really strict wash regiment. LOL. But like you said, there are those who just cannot do their own washings, either because they don't have the time or don't have a place to do it (like apartments). Hopefully your tips will help them select the best method for them.

Again, great tips for those who have to use a car wash. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Let me tell ya, there's nothing worse than a crappy winter climate for anyone OCD about keeping their car(s) clean. "Soft touch" presents the issues mentioned by the OP, touchless doesn't fully bust through layers of salt even with the chemicals, and the self wash joints may dispense warm water, but it still freezes on you before you get a chance to dry it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I will say that's one nice thing about my DD F150, it's not anything special and I don't really care. If the next truck is a Raptor or something the car wash thing will definitely stop

5.0Black

Established Member
Solid info. Never use a car wash of any kind...only in an emergency would I use a 'do it yourself' without using the brush.

Nice job on removing those defects!

Thank you! I mostly mentioned the do it yourself bay for those who live in apartments/don't have the space, bring your own products lol.

Nice tips, but no way I would ever take my G70 to any car wash. I won't even go to my local guy who does hand washes, and he is pretty careful when washing. I have a really strict wash regiment. LOL. But like you said, there are those who just cannot do their own washings, either because they don't have the time or don't have a place to do it (like apartments). Hopefully your tips will help them select the best method for them.

Again, great tips for those who have to use a car wash. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Thank you, I appreciate. Oh don't get me wrong, I would never take any of my cars to a car wash, nor would I ever recommend them to anyone. The words "If you must use a car wash" were hard enough to type lol. Ultimately I tried to keep certain variables in mind for a newcomer to the detailing world. Like I said, if you can clean your car by hand you should.

Let me tell ya, there's nothing worse than a crappy winter climate for anyone OCD about keeping their car(s) clean. "Soft touch" presents the issues mentioned by the OP, touchless doesn't fully bust through layers of salt even with the chemicals, and the self wash joints may dispense warm water, but it still freezes on you before you get a chance to dry it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

You really are if you live in a harsh winter climate lol. Always hated winter back in VA as cleaning in cold weather was just not fun, plus in colder climates you also need to be cognitive of pipes bursting if you don't take proper precautions.

What pad did you use with your 105?

Lake county CCS orange pads for the most part. Some areas needed a yellow CCS for deeper cutting.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So true! That's why I garage my G70 from late November - March.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I have two vehicles.
2012 GT500 has rarely seen rain ( may be 4-5 times as a pop up) or inclement weather, and will never see the auto car wash.....ever. I have done the self serve for emergency a few times with just water and spot free rinse. The Shelby is in storage during the winter months....so I don’t have to contend with salt.

My 2018 Explorer Platinum is a daily driver on the other hand. I do run that through a luxury car wash which I have a monthly pass. The ability to remove salt and dirt from the undercarriage and exterior in the winter months seems to outweigh the likelihood of corrosion. Pick your poison is the thinking here. Springtime, the Explorer gets a makeover with interior detailing, DR Colorchip chip fixing (if any) polishing and waxing. Looks brand new every year.

I will admit, I avoid the freeways as much as possible with the Explorer during the winter months to avoid the salt stone and sand used on the roads for ice and snow. Traveling behind people at a normal distance will be like sandblasting your front end. If I need to be freeway bound, I just hang wayyyyy back from traffic maintaining speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread