Average paint thickness on the 13-14s?

Blkblk13car

Established Member
I have a 2013 Black GT500, I’m the second owner and the first owner is a friend. He drove it daily and so do I.

He never detailed it as far as paint correction and I’ve done one round of clay and Orange and white pads with m105 and m205 (or whatever junkman recommends).

My paint was pretty rough, lots of scratches and lots of dings and imperfections. It came out pretty good after my crack at it but I was nervous and didn’t cut enough I feel.

I'm considering really going to town now that law school is online and I have my f150 running but I’m worried about how much clear I have left.

Think I can hit it again? ( I have a griots 6in and a 3in plate, about a dozen orange, yellow, white and black pads, pinnacle polish and glaze and the meguires.) Also wanted to try using the black pads to lay on a good sealant too.

In south Florida too so sun is an issue

Last edited:

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
You 'probably' could, however, to be sure you really should measure it. It would be heartbreaking to go thru the clear!

Average readings that I have seen on these cars/similar are around the 3.5-high 4 mils area. Again, that's just what I've seen and every vehicle can/could be different.

If you are ever on the west coast I'd be happy to take some readings for you so you would know for sure.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
You 'probably' could, however, to be sure you really should measure it. It would be heartbreaking to go thru the clear!

Average readings that I have seen on these cars/similar are around the 3.5-high 4 mils area. Again, that's just what I've seen and every vehicle can/could be different.

If you are ever on the west coast I'd be happy to take some readings for you so you would know for sure.

thank you! Always good to hear from the resident expert! If I make a trans American road trip a reality I’ll be sure to book you haha.

it’s one of those I paid a great price, knew it was never modified and mechanically perfect. But body is eh and paint is unfortunate... got 72k tho and warranty to 124k so that’s good I guess go not show.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
OK, no need to book me, I'd be happy to just give ya a few readings so you know where you stand. Once all this craziness is over and travel restrictions are over, be happy to help ya!

Great warranty!

blue 07

Established Member
I know how you feel with the paint issue with your 13, mine was the same as sure as with all. I was amazed at the amount of orange peel in the paint. Being as anal as I am, I wet sanded my 13 and have done basic one step paint corrections on it to keep it perfect, so you should be fine. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WETSAND your car if you don't know what your doing !! You should be fine with your paint corrections, just keep your machine moving !!

Attachments

• IMG_4406 (1).JPG
    IMG_4406 (1).JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 109

Blkblk13car

Established Member
I know how you feel with the paint issue with your 13, mine was the same as sure as with all. I was amazed at the amount of orange peel in the paint. Being as anal as I am, I wet sanded my 13 and have done basic one step paint corrections on it to keep it perfect, so you should be fine. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WETSAND your car if you don't know what your doing !! You should be fine with your paint corrections, just keep your machine moving !!
Yeah I definitely won’t wet-sand, it took me 5 (I mean really) watches through on junkmans series before I even touched my car.
I’m thinking maybe the m205 and least aggresive pad and just go over bad areas a few times

Blkblk13car

Established Member
ALWAYS start with the least aggressive method first. Then work up from there if needed!

Keep us posted!
I will! Right now it’s sitting at the dealer though- intercooler pump went out and that was a month back order, now SC coolant hose leaked and that’s on back order too.. so may be a bit haha. But I will absolutely be spending a good 4-5 days detailing it in my parking garage once law classes end.

additional question- I have touch up paint and one of those very fine inkwell pens I use (a drop into the “well” and it paints a needle thin line to “color in” scratches. SO... touch up paint after correction but before wax or sealant? Or after? Or uh what?

Users who are viewing this thread