Avaitor Pump into 1998 Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterb

Established Member
how hard is it to get the basket and stuff off as Im going to need to replace my fuel pump when I get my supercharger.

Not very hard..

1) Three bolts on filler tube, unhook harness going to top of hat, vent tube by filler tube and tiny vent on top, another bolt on the filler tube bracket.

2) Use fuel disconnect tool for supply & return.. have rag for gas drops (inevitable) that will fall in eye.. safety glasses would be better.

3) Main fuel tank straps (three bolts) and then lower tank with jack and piece of wood for stability. Filler tube slides right out.. it goes in about 5".

4) Remove bolts around "hat" where basket is underneath.

5) Pry off with flat head screwdriver, and be ready to guide plastic hose and fuel level float out. Then reach in with left and right index fingers to press in tabs and the entire basket will come out.

6) Remove, on top, 5 tiny 5mm screws with nut-driver or socket which will remove the "roof" of the basket, exposing actual pump which will have a two-wire press connector that comes off. Pump then slides right up and out. Wire connector on new pump is the same.

7) Replace with Aviator pump (use all old parts, rubber boot on bottom, and remove spring steel clip on bottom) that will impede installing the filter "sock" properly.

8) Reinstall in reverse order.

While the tank was down, I drilled the holes for the Taylor battery box for my battery relocation. I didn't want to puncture the tank- so it worked out well.

I would recommend repacing the fuel filter and fuel pump sock (if you can find one!) because the stuff is out.

Interesting product - don't know if it would work on 96-98's. It has -AN lines and provisions for two pumps, seems like a nice (but costly) piece. However- if it saves a motor from going lean and burning a piston it's worth every penny!

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...ecision-works-03-04-cobra-billet-top-hat.html

LP-TOPHATMOD_MED.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread