autometer gauge install

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I am going to be installing the electrical oil and water lunar gauges in the next two weeks. I have one question. Do most people put the water sender in the block using the supplied 3/8 fitting, or do they use the adapter made by Cobra Jack to put it into the crossover tube? Thanks. i am wondering if the crossover adapter is a worthwhile addition. i will be putting the oil sender in the plug next to the stock sender.

Do most people leave the stock oil sender where it is, or switch it to the lower plug and put the autometer where the stock one used to be. If you do switch it, why? Thanks.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Also, if I use the adapter that Cobra Jack sells do i still have to drain the coolent? The coolent is relatively new and i don't want to have to drain it. Thanks.

GreyAsp

Established Member
I put the water sensor in the block. I suppose it's a little more accurate that way, but very negligibly.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
01_BLK_COBRA said:
Also, if I use the adapter that Cobra Jack sells do i still have to drain the coolent? The coolent is relatively new and i don't want to have to drain it. Thanks.

No.

2nd-I had an SVT tech install my gauges and he switched the oil sender location.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks. Looks liek I might be leaning towards getitng one of the adapters if he has any left.

GreyAsp

Established Member
01_BLK_COBRA said:
did you lose all your collent when putting it in the block?
Yes.

Although you can supposedly do it pretty cleanly if you're really quick.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
01_BLK_COBRA said:
actually It is now this guy that sells thme it seems. i have read that it might nort be as accurate as putting the sensor in the block, but it is negligible.

http://www.prodata-net.com/2003Cobra/WaterTempAdapter.htm

I believe that's the same adapter I ordered (thread link: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160775 ). It provides accurate water temperature readings, nothing to worry about. :beer:

BTW - For the oil pressure sender installation, you simply flip flop the locations of the two (ie - factory sender/"switch" goes in the opposite location and the autometer sender goes in the factory spot). It's as if Ford expected people to install another sender in the oil cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread