Autocrossing a GT500

sn0man1

Established Member
So this winter/spring I will be looking to get an 08-09 GT500 and I was curious if anyone has done or know someone who has done auto-x in a s197 cobra (aka GT500)?

I've done auto-x in an S2000 for 3 years and I'm sure the GT500 will be heavier, but are they competitive at all?

What class should someone shoot for? I want to try the car stock first, but I'm assuming something suspension related will dictate I change the car.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I think your car will run in ESP maybe OSP I'll be honest I've seen pretty quick 2011 5.0 in F stock maybe i think that might be your class but not any fast 08-09 GT or GT500 haven't seen none at all. But I think thats cool since you'll be unique . I am actually using Goodyear eagle F1 off a GT500 there terrible I have upgraded to kumho ecsta XS .. Hope to be of some help

sn0man1

Established Member
I think your car will run in ESP maybe OSP I'll be honest I've seen pretty quick 2011 5.0 in F stock maybe i think that might be your class but not any fast 08-09 GT or GT500 haven't seen none at all. But I think thats cool since you'll be unique . I am actually using Goodyear eagle F1 off a GT500 there terrible I have upgraded to kumho ecsta XS .. Hope to be of some help

Thank you! I like solo, but I kind of want to be different. I'll probably feel worse about it after I get the car and find that my old ride smokes my new ride, but that won't be the point of the car. I like the GT500 and I can always drive the S if I want to be competitive again. I'm not national level yet, so worst case I have a bunch of local guys laughing as I pilot the pig.

The Shelby GT's are in FS but the Shelby GT500's are AS.

Yeah, I was curious how it works when you transition and start modding. I honestly just co-drive with other people's cars since I'm in school so I just run whatever class they are running. I understand that all the F-stock S197's go up to ESP but does that mean the GT500 goes to SSP?

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
ASP...you get to play with all the Evo's and non Z06 Corvettes. Check the rules though, they have been changing a lot lately. SCCA is thinking about putting the BMW M's in Fs.

Last edited:

sn0man1

Established Member
Great... those Evo's are animals! At least in STX but I assume their advantages are lessened by everyone being on slicks.

Yeah unfortunately I had to take this season off till I pass the bar and get work. I'll be back next year, but uncertain in what car just yet.

Thanks mgsullivan for your responses!

Users who are viewing this thread