autocross class for modded 04 cobra

svt2712

Established Member
I have a 04 cobra and autocross it sometimes I ran in esp when it was stock but now i have upped the boost and such so i know that they are not going to let me run in that class. I think i will have to run in SM but not sure. I looked on scca.com at the rule book but it is hard to narrow it down. I am just wondering what class other people run? Thanks:beer:
By the way i first started this under the terminator section but no response i thought there would be at least a couple conekillers out there?

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
I want to say that a new pulley is going to throw you out of the stock class. I think a new intake period will throw you out. Only "power" mods that I can think of legally is a cat-back exhaust but it's been a while since I've autocrossed.

David Hester

Established Member
Still ESP.
I ran ESP with over 14 lb boost and headers.
Carburetors, fuel injection, intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted. Alternate throttle linkage and connections to facilitate installation of allowed induction systems are permitted, but may serve no other purpose. As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced induction, air-to-air heat exchangers (known as "intecoolers"), and radiators which are part of air-to-liquid charge coolers, must be cooled only by the atmosphere.
Exhaust manifolds and muffler systems are free, except that they must be quiet and terminate behind the driver. Exhaust heat shields may be removed. Rear- and mid-engined cars without exhaust headers/manifold systems may use any exhaust system that meets the requirements of 3.5. This permits the removal of "heater boxes" in order to install headers on such cars.
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html
Have fun!

Last edited:

svt2712

Established Member
You are very lucky then I wish i could still be in esp. I went a head and ran in SM the other day and it worked out fine granted there was only two other cars in the class I beat an old eagle talon on day but a neon srt-4 beat me the second day but he was running full slicks.
the rules are confusing I was just wondering it people new what class off the top of their head. Thanks for the help though:beer:

this is from the 2008 rules
4. Turbochargers and/or superchargers (“forced induction”)
may not be added, changed, or modified (this does not allow
ceramic coating of turbochargers). On vehicles originally
equipped with forced induction:
c) No changes are allowed to supercharger drive system
pulleys. Belt tensioners may be added/changed to reduce
belt slip.

I noticed yours are from 2003 but are still about the same.

Any accessory pulleys and belts of the same type (e.g., V-belt, serpentine) as standard may be used. This allowance applies to accessory pulleys only (e.g., alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and crankshaft drive pulleys). It does not allow replacement, modification, or substitution of pulleys, cogs, gears, or belts which are part of cam, layshaft, or ignition drive or timing systems, etc. Supercharged cars are excluded from this allowance. This does not permit replacement of integral pulley-damper/balancer assemblies. Alternate pulley materials may be used. Idler pulleys may be used for belt routing in place of items which the rules specifically allow to be removed, such as smog pumps and air conditioning compressors. They may serve no other purpose. Supercharged cars may not change the effective diameter of any pulley which drives the supercharger. (11/2003)

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
Ooops. :shrug:
Oh, well. I don't have that car anymore.

Come on David... you should know better than that ;-)

Changing the upper pulley automatically puts you in SM and out of ESP. Tough class to run in, but if your just having fun... it doesn't matter unless you wanna get national competitive.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
When I had the cobra, my PAX was always near the bottom of the results every time. But being in SM and not prepped to the level that it should be for that class, causes alot of that.

In the vette, I've just started cracking the top 10 in PAX out of usually 70-80 cars. This is at our local events. Put that on a bigger scale like a national event, that would be about mid pack or so. Its a work in progress, every time I go out, I learn something new about the car and always to help make you faster.

Users who are viewing this thread