auto-x tires

RedPitBull

Established Member
97 svt mustang.....best track tire that i can also drive on the street...suggestions?..thanks, chuck....

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
How much are you going to be driving it on the street? If it's just a play car with rare street use, then you can get away with a lot more radical compound. For me, I use my car as a daily driver and an autocross car. I put Kumho Ecsta MX's on and was very very pleased with them. 14 autocross events (at 6 runs per event), a two day full road course event (probably 20 laps total), and then daily driving them has finally gotten them worn down at 12,000 miles. I think that's pretty impressive. Now they COULD have been replaced at 10k (down to the indicators), but I still have tread and am still driving on them until I can decide on what new rubber I want. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat if I was going to keep autocrossing the car, but I'm going to use a different car this season.

RedPitBull

Established Member
yea....hooked on it bad.....at least one event a month, sometimes two....drive to work on good days.....one auto-x is about 300 miles round trip(only go when the local meet doesnt run....have worn bfg 275/40/17 kdw.....real loose on start and out of turns and tight in middle of turns and pivot cones.....play car but will make a cruse to the coast at times.....havent run on a road course yet but will have a chance in june....almost all of the detroit cars are running dot slicks.....dont really want to do the tire swap thing at the meet....will check out the kumos....thanks, chuck

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Sure thing. You can't see much, but I was running those Kumho's in the autocross in my sig pic. Nice and predicable tires. They get kinda loud when they get worn down, and "hunt" too, but then again they probably wern't meant to be driven this low. :)

fastbird86

Established Member
I would say Falken Azenis Sports but they wear pretty quickly. If a Honduh Prelude can wear them down to the cords after almost 10 autoX events, imagine what a your car will do to them :eek: . Kumho MX's will work fine, but if you get really into it you might want to get some extra wheels and put R-compound tires on them like a set of Kumho 710's or Ecsta v700's.

bender460

Established Member
I run the Nitto 555 extremes the road course version. about 5000miles now. Bought new befor last summer have about 5 scca events on them and one day 25 laps roadcourse. Also 2 times at the drag strip. Driven most every day in the summer. Almost to the wear indicators, first race was sunday and I was the 2nd fastest car there out of 60. LOVE these tires :thumbsup: A new 05 GT was there and GETTING it on, was fun to see another stang not affraid to push his car. I was still 5 seconds faster though on a 59 sec track :beer:

crashingSucks

kumho's victor racers without a question. Hell i run that on the street too.

I swear when i put htem on my braking distances go down 18+ feet.
Whenever i go to a normal tire like a so-3, avs sports, pilots, etc. ABS kicks in sooo much arlier whn i brake

Users who are viewing this thread