Auto trans?

bumplime

Established Member
What is the hp limit for the factory auto trans?

I currently have an 08 GT500 but am looking to sell and possibly pick up a new 5.0 with an auto. I have seen several different ways to add turbos and or supercharges so obtaining higher hp for the drag strip seems fairly easy, albeit a bit spendy if you try to go into the 6-700 hp range. My concern is how well the autos hold up to the higher hp and tq especially on a semi dd.
I'm not sold on an auto but my better half says next toy car will need to be an auto so she can drive it too.
Are folks utilizing high stall converters etc on these 10 sec cars I see

Tucker

Many 800-1000 RWHP cars have stock trannys

Sean Kelley is one, he's made countless passes in the low 9's in his 2012 and drives it nearly everyday.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the auto has proven to be very reliable for most

most run 10's with no problem, and if the tuning is good, can live quite some time into the 9's

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
the auto has proven to be very reliable for most

most run 10's with no problem, and if the tuning is good, can live quite some time into the 9's

What does a guy do if he wants the Exedy clutch upgrade and what does it cost?

Is that the only thing people are needing to do for upgrades?

Thanks...

03dsgdreams

Established Member
JPC has a package deal on a paxton 8 rib kit that went 9.61 in the quarter on a otherwise stock motor, stock auto trans other then circle d converter 2013 gt.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What does a guy do if he wants the Exedy clutch upgrade and what does it cost?

Is that the only thing people are needing to do for upgrades?

Thanks...

Exedy just finished inspecting the stage 2 clutch upgrade that i've been testing for them this year.

We put the stage 2 in at the beginning of the season. When they pulled them out last week, everything looked great. maybe 2 dark rings he said.

1-2 more seasons could be had out of the trans. Again, tuning will be key though.

Lund has these down very well at the strip. I know you already have a lund tune on the shelby,

The other key is safety. You want a tune that will last as well.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Thanks for info. Who performs the Exedy clutch upgrade and what does it cost? Is it released to the public?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for info. Who performs the Exedy clutch upgrade and what does it cost? Is it released to the public?

Circle D has been doing the upgrades for the test trans.

The prorduct should get released here officially now the the testing is done.

bumplime

Established Member
Terry, it was nice talking with you this afternoon. I appreciate you taking them time to talk to me and answer my many questions. Your input along with others help me feel like Im making the right move in stepping out of my car and into a new 5.0. Now Ive got some decisions to make, like Vortech or Paxton Novi...ID 1000's or 75s, etc.
The only Mod I am positive Ill do is the Circle D torque converter

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Terry, it was nice talking with you this afternoon. I appreciate you taking them time to talk to me and answer my many questions. Your input along with others help me feel like Im making the right move in stepping out of my car and into a new 5.0. Now Ive got some decisions to make, like Vortech or Paxton Novi...ID 1000's or 75s, etc.
The only Mod I am positive Ill do is the Circle D torque converter

Thats something you could always add later. Any other questions, feel free to call.

Last edited:

wnt2gofst

Banned

Last I talked to circle d they had kits on order. Said it run about 2500 from what I remember. That was about 4 months ago.

from the famous tapatalk.

Bud

Established Member
I emailed about 2 months back and was advised to check back in a few months, didn't get any prices on the upgrades. Would be cool if these parts were available for people to have installed locally and not have to ship the transmission off.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I emailed about 2 months back and was advised to check back in a few months, didn't get any prices on the upgrades. Would be cool if these parts were available for people to have installed locally and not have to ship the transmission off.

we will be selling the stage 2 upgrades, the difference is the stage 1 is a direct drop in, the stage 2 does require modifications to the drums

if i'm not mistaken, they machine the drums down to fit the extra clutches in their

Bud

Established Member
we will be selling the stage 2 upgrades, the difference is the stage 1 is a direct drop in, the stage 2 does require modifications to the drums

if i'm not mistaken, they machine the drums down to fit the extra clutches in their

Cool, keep us updated once you start selling the parts. Tell circle-d to work on transbraking a 6r80 while you are at it :-D

Users who are viewing this thread