Auto Swap Programming Questions

Torchy

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I am finishing my auto swap and have been driving around for a while but there are a few programming/IDS things we have not finished. I work at a Ford dealer and there are 2 techs helping me with the IDS end of things. We still don't have the gauge cluster programmed over to the auto, the ABS module not programmed and the ECU is running off the Auto VIN and I need it to run on my stock manual VIN so these are my questions.

1) How do we program the instrument cluster?

2) Is there a way to program the ABS Module without buying a new one?

3) How do I get the ECU to operate on my stock VIN?

Pls help a brotha out!

This is how she looks on a cold start. The ABS light flashes constantly and the other 2 lights just stay on. Don't mind the seatbelt light, I hadn't put it on yet.
0DB72263-7823-4D76-B506-395D5DFB2E81_zpslrvqiwd4.jpg

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
The only programming needed for the cluster is PATS. When you install your new PCM the cluster will function like it's supposed to. The ABS module might need to be replaced, but I'd try to reprogram it with the auto VIN and see if that works. As for the VIN matching the car I'm not sure that would work or not. Seen a post where changing the VIN back to the original manual VIN caused the ABS lights to come back.

13BlackGT

Established Member
I had to put proper as-built data into the ICM for a premium with no back up assist like my car. The swap kit was a 13 like mine but was a base model.
I used the donor car abs.
I left the vin of the donor car in the PCM.

13 GT TVS 6R80

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Are you on Facebook ? I can put you in touch with someone that can tell you exactly what to do

I'd be really curious to understand this as well. I'm going the opposite way. I'm doing a manual swap into my automatic GT. I have a computer from a manual 12 GT.

mackdog2008

Established Member
I'd be really curious to understand this as well. I'm going the opposite way. I'm doing a manual swap into my automatic GT. I have a computer from a manual 12 GT.
With the auto to manual you can use your auto pcm, that's all I know about a manual swap.

Torchy

Established Member
Are you on Facebook ? I can put you in touch with someone that can tell you exactly what to do

Well I kinda am. I have an account but don't really use it. It's "Torchy Riflifkin"

But I'd be happy to talk to them. I have to get this figured out pretty quick. The techs helping me know IDS pretty well but aren't well versed in jumping outside the box with it.

stang910

Established Member
What's not working correctly? Are you trying to convert your car to the 11-12 strategy so you can use that shifter? What specifically isn't working on your cluster? For the ABS module some like myself have successfully programmed the stock module while others have had to buy a new one.

Torchy

Established Member
What's not working correctly? Are you trying to convert your car to the 11-12 strategy so you can use that shifter? What specifically isn't working on your cluster? For the ABS module some like myself have successfully programmed the stock module while others have had to buy a new one.

So I have a 2013 car and the ECU is a WYN4 which is the 2014 replacement for the 2013 (WYN3) so basically it's 13 primi to 13 primi. Everything works in my cluster but my cluster is still operating under my stock VIN. What I mean is I don't have trans temp. The techs programmed most of my car the day the came to my house. But they did not get to program my cluster (although it works flawlessly except for it doesn't have trans temp) and they didn't get to do my ABS or put my stock VIN back into the ECU.

I am trying to get my whole car to operate on the "as built" data of the VIN I borrowed (from an auto car which is a premium VIN from a 14 identically optioned like my car) but I need the PCM to have my stock VIN programmed into it. Basically I need my OBD2 port VIN to match my cars actual VIN for smog. I have a friend who has successfully done this.

He told me something to the extent of program the whole car off the "as-built" data of the auto VIN then us IDS to program in my original VIN into the PCM after the car already has the as-built data from the auto VIN.

Sooo my questions is how do I tell the techs how to do this. I don't need a step by step within IDS but if I just generally could tell them how to do it they can figure it out.

you have to buy a new ABS module, there cheap 120.00

Well that's not bad at all. I have zero problems just buying a new one. For the sake of keeping this simple for the techs, I'll just buy a new one.

Torchy

Established Member
Any new eyes on this? The techs are going to play with it on this Thursday.

Torchy

Established Member
In case anyone cares we got it all sorted out. I have trans temp and gear indicator now! Most importantly my stock manual VIN is programmed to my auto ECU! yay

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
So, they programmed the as-built data from your manual car onto your auto PCM and were able to program your PATS?

Torchy

Established Member
So they used the As-Built data from the auto VIN then programmed my cars M6 VIN into the auto PCM. I think after the M6 VIN was programmed, he was able to use my M6 VIN for PATS. 100% everything works in my car now.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Was it a dealership that did the work or a performance shop? If it was a performance shop, would they be willing to walk me through this kind of process?

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
So they used the As-Built data from the auto VIN then programmed my cars M6 VIN into the auto PCM. I think after the M6 VIN was programmed, he was able to use my M6 VIN for PATS. 100% everything works in my car now.

Do you know what steps in IDS they used to program your original VIN back into PCM?

J_verrett5oh

Established Member
you cant use your stock vin being its a standard and the ids knows it
best thing to do is use the vin number of another auto car and you will need to purchase another abs to be programmed with the auto ecm and vin. if you have any other questions you can pm me and ill help how ever I can

Users who are viewing this thread