auto alarm experts.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Alright I have been paranoid lately. My friend just had his tahoe left sitting on bricks two nights ago. I guess that someone needed new 20 inch tires. I would be pissed off if they stole my car. What is the best alarm setup that I could install on my car. Is there a good web based alarm that does not depend on range? Something that would alert me if someone brakes in while I'm at work.. I am trying to keep it under $500. I will install it my self. Thanx.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
I used a viper remote start/alarm with a bunch of extras on prior vehicles. It had an led screen on a key fob and will tell you what's going on with your vehicle, plus you can start your car from a 1/2 mile away (1mile without no obstructions). Look them up because I can't remember what model number I had.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I used a viper remote start/alarm with a bunch of extras on prior vehicles. It had an led screen on a key fob and will tell you what's going on with your vehicle, plus you can start your car from a 1/2 mile away (1mile without no obstructions). Look them up because I can't remember what model number I had.

I saw the one you are talking about. It cost around $300. I would have to temporary bypass the clutch switch for remote start on mine. I'm sure that there write ups about remote start on the 2011+ mustangs out there.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
No alarm is gonna stop anyone that really wants your rims or car. It just might slow down the stupid criminals.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I know. I just want something that could give me time to grab a bat or a .45 and go down stairs and zimmerman someone.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I know. I just want something that could give me time to grab a bat or a .45 and go down stairs and zimmerman someone.

LMOA. That just made my morning. Thanks.

Anyway to put the car in a garage?

Zemedici

Established Member
Wheel locks?

Viper sets the standard in alarm world today, but those sorta things are rather tricky to install.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Nope no garage =/ I live in an apartment complex. I don't care for the rims really. Not a lot of people are interested in big and littles. I am more worried about the blower.if they take the unilugs race stars they will probably bring them back with a note saying install this shit your self asshole.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Clifford has some great remote start/security products. I'd look into them as they are in your ball park.

Good luck with the install tho, tons and tons of wires

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Clifford has some great remote start/security products. I'd look into them as they are in your ball park.

Good luck with the install tho, tons and tons of wires

Ill look into that. Wires are my friends.

kingnut

Established Member
you could go with a viper smart start if you wanted unlimited range and control from your phone. if your worried about them stealing your wheels. an alarm isnt necessarily gonna stop them, unless you have it pretty sensitive. only problem with that is alot of false alarms due to car stereos, wind, or thunder.

an alarm is good for stereo and car theft though. sensitivity can be set low and it definitely going off if they break a window or open a door. i have had a regular viper with the LCD remote on my cars since 1996. solid alarm and worth the money.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
So for the viper smart start I would need a complete viper alarm that is compatible with the smart start app. That looks pretty cool.

mhyjek

Established Member
Not to go off topic. My car is parked in my garage went off randomly the other day. No I didn't hit key by accident and nothing touched it. Its in a single garage with both main door and access door to my basement closed. All doors, trunk, and windows where closed. Any ideas?

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I would do the upper level viper units as they have a shock sensor so they will go off if the car is shaken. You can do either the key chain pager or the smart phone version. It just depends on taste. make sure you have the back up battery cell installed as they sometimes see the alarm and cut your hot wire on the battery.

Nuar

Established Member
Not to go off topic. My car is parked in my garage went off randomly the other day. No I didn't hit key by accident and nothing touched it. Its in a single garage with both main door and access door to my basement closed. All doors, trunk, and windows where closed. Any ideas?

That's the drawback of alarms. Every single one I had went of randomly once in a while. Usually either the proximity or the shock sensor.
Once in a while its just a car driving by with a loud sound system or an exhaust that would trip the shock sensor, other times the proximity would go nuts for what seemed like no reason.
It was pretty god damn annoying in the middle of the night...That was a Clifford Concept 600, awesome alarm but Tweeter messed up the installation, I went back no joke 8-10 times for them to keep fixing the installation because the installer that did my car was a new guy just learning. I wanted to stab someone in that place when I found that out.

So far I've been running with no alarm on my stang. The constant battery drain gets annoying if you have a lot of sensors. But I'm really thinking of getting one again.

If I do, it will be a Viper, TOP OF THE LINE model, with at least proximity, shock and tilt sensor with a 2 way LCD remote to keep an eye on things.

They also have a GPS addon that you can "ping" to keep track of your car, but its not a free service.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
is there a small battery that could be used for alarms? something that could be hidden?

Nuar

Established Member
You mean to counter the battery drain?
Thats not really needed. On day to day use the drain will never become a problem.
Its only an issue if you park your car for weeks at a time, like outside under a car cover for the winter... Yup.. my last mustangs winter life.

The alarm sirens (good alarms) usually have a backup battery. If a thief cuts the power supply to the siren, the thing goes off and goes nuts :p

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
personally i would highly recommend going to a good installer as alarms can often be a huge pain in the ass to install and ive done 2 and that was enough for a lifetime. Not to mention hanging the shock sensor properly etc.

The 5904 is a good unit i've owned the 5901 a few years back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread