Aussie Mod Advice

IH8TOADS

Established Member
Hi all,

From Australia so not well versed on the older Mustangs and looking for some advice. I have an Eaton swapped 2002 SVT Cobra (2001 equivalent) that has a current mix of parts. Currently has the stock 80mm MAF, a shoddy intake setup and local 5.4 modular injectors (0 280 156 186). The tune (xcal1 i've extracted with HPT) has some basic changes for injector scaling, timing and turning off a bunch of codes etc. Car runs very average.

The idea it to return it to a stock like condition. Looking at the JLT Ram Intake and a 90mm MAF. Is the Ford Performance 90mm M-12579-L54 Lightning MAF the same as that used on the 2003-04 Cobra (i.e. will use the same MAF transfer calibration)?. The stock 2003/04 and Lightning MAF transfers are different going by the SCT value files.

I'm looking for a plug and play option with good data. Other option is the SCT BA 2600 and I assume this fits the JLT Ram Intake.

Plan is to source 39lb 2003/04 Injectors and then copy a lot of the 2003/04 tune data across to the 2001 file and tweak from there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Personally I would go with the 2600 and 60lb injectors. Pretty basic set up tuning wise and generally pretty easy. Plus gives you room to grow should you decide to go for more power.

FIREBALL

Established Member
My questions are along the same line as the op. which is----for a mild upgrade to the 90 maf , which one? --- should I go to larger BBK throttle body and will the Ford performance injectors work with these two upgrades from what I read the newer upgraded Ford Performance 24 lb injectors are plenty for a stock Cobra with mild upgrades. they are supposed to have more spray holes than the originals. With these upgrades and a cat back exhaust and a CAI and a tune what would be the increase in H.P. I know probably not much, but hopefully 25hp. I dont know about the O.P. but for me I would still have to pass California Smog

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My questions are along the same line as the op. which is----for a mild upgrade to the 90 maf , which one? --- should I go to larger BBK throttle body and will the Ford performance injectors work with these two upgrades from what I read the newer upgraded Ford Performance 24 lb injectors are plenty for a stock Cobra with mild upgrades. they are supposed to have more spray holes than the originals. With these upgrades and a cat back exhaust and a CAI and a tune what would be the increase in H.P. I know probably not much, but hopefully 25hp. I dont know about the O.P. but for me I would still have to pass California Smog

Just my opinion on things...

Unless you're running boost or have a highly modified N/A engine that's pegging the current MAF there is no benefit to the larger MAF. A MAF doesn't add performance. It just allows the ECU to read the extra airflow properly.

A throttlebody is a waste of money. I cleared 600hp with a stock throttlebody on my 01.

I haven't heard anything about those injectors, but again, they sound like a waste of money. Plenty of people have no issues with the stock 24lb injectors made in 99/01. If you want you can get your current set cleaned and flow tested. But I wouldn't bother beyond that.

I never tuned my 01 when it was N/A. But I've heard both ways as far as not being worth it to being totally worth it. I do know I wouldn't bother with a canned tune.

FWIW, I came across a dyno sheet from when my 01 was N/A and it put down a whopping 292rwhp/293rwtrq with a JLT CAI and Bassani catted X. I think had a Mac catback at that time too. No tune though.

shurur

Established Member
Look at the "nasvt recipe" that I post regularly in this forum. It is a list of effective na mods.

shurur

Established Member
NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
NA SVT (Todd Warren) custom cams properly degreed.
short runner. (only If running above 7k RPM)
Tune

As I think I understand it...FP, 39# injectors and 90mm MAF with retune can be added at this point to extract a bit more from the 4.6 and prep for a stroker or BB stroker build.

shurur

Established Member
oops..you are going FI (?) at some point?
The 03-04 cobra terminator is FI..so not understanding you wanting to copy tune data from it to yours unless you are going FI.
So for FI, LT, MAF and bigger injectors...and tune...although all you need looks to be injectors and tune..dunno

Also..you should post this up in the Terminator forum, You will get more input there.
There are probably some stickys to read in that forum as well!!

Last edited:

IH8TOADS

Established Member
Thanks guys. Yeah it’s got an Eaton M112 and I want to convert it to a stockish terminator. Not sure why they didn’t put a 90mm MAF on to start with!

shurur

Established Member
Thanks guys. Yeah it’s got an Eaton M112 and I want to convert it to a stockish terminator. Not sure why they didn’t put a 90mm MAF on to start with!

Well slo984now is one of the few who know stuff about FI in this newedge forum.
IMO the Terminator forum is your place to get even more input on that stuff and more responses.

Don't be afraid to repost/start this thread there.

IMO Someone over in that Terminator forum should have made a FI HP mod list or, better yet, a Terminator FI HP Decision Tree by now..like the NA SVT (Todd Warren) recipe I have compiled for the Newedge and the SN-95 cobras.

I've been thinking of starting one for fun for some time now..yes, I am bored.

I think the FI mods are pretty much blue printed by now for both the Whipple and other Vortech/procharger SC routes....maybe even the turbo route as well..dunno.

Last edited:

FIREBALL

Established Member
Well if a larger maf and throttle body on an N/A are not needed and I cant add long tubes or Cat delete because of Calif. smog, How much H.P. gain from stage 1 or 2 comp cams timed properly and with a good tune? Would the March dampers, Hydraboost and WP pulleys make much of a difference with just the cams and tune and would I need bigger injectors with it?

shurur

Established Member
You would not use any of the march pulleys and dampers for a FI setup...but they do help for an NA setup...some say 8-10..other have said even more.

I only can guess that you might lose 12-20 rwhp without the LT on an NA recipe motor.

Q: Are shorties or midpipes allowed in CA?
Those might get you something or help gain some torque for you.

IMO
You wont need bigger injectors or MAF for a 4.6 NA.
It might help a bit..but is usually more for strokers and bb strokers. (90mm MAF, 39# injectors and FP)

If I were getting cams, I would get them through nasvt Todd Warren. He specs his own custom cams now. You would want to tell him what your plans are...or rather know what your plans are, as he will want to know.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I believe JBA shorties are the only legal headers. And I think Magnaflow has a legal mid pipe. But it's over $1000. I'd either find a high flow catted pipe or go off road and play the swap game every two years.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the shorties. I haven't seen enough gains to make the headache of the swap worth it.

If you want decent power and to remain smog legal go with a blower. I know the P1 has a carb number. And I'm pretty sure the Si does as well. I don't know about the Paxton offerings. By the time you get cams, get them installed, and get the intake ported to take advantage you'll be close to, if not over a blower set up.

Oh, and cams aren't legal either. You could probably get away with a less aggressive cam and keep the idle tame, but then are they worth the cost?

shurur

Established Member
I believe JBA shorties are the only legal headers. And I think Magnaflow has a legal mid pipe. But it's over $1000. I'd either find a high flow catted pipe or go off road and play the swap game every two years.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the shorties. I haven't seen enough gains to make the headache of the swap worth it.

If you want decent power and to remain smog legal go with a blower. I know the P1 has a carb number. And I'm pretty sure the Si does as well. I don't know about the Paxton offerings. By the time you get cams, get them installed, and get the intake ported to take advantage you'll be close to, if not over a blower set up.

Oh, and cams aren't legal either. You could probably get away with a less aggressive cam and keep the idle tame, but then are they worth the cost?

I have to agree.
CA makes it too risky to do much else.
I actually got the 3.73 gears as prep for a procharger, until I got hooked on staying NA.
And they are claiming 6 psi to 8 psi nets 50-70% HP gains respectively.
And 8 psi is considered generally safe for our OEM motors.

The only thing I might add is that he should listen to a few youtube takes of the procharger to see whether he can deal with the sound of the thing.

1999-01 Cobra (4.6 4V) Street | ProCharger

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have to agree.
CA makes it too risky to do much else.
I actually got the 3.73 gears as prep for a procharger, until I got hooked on staying NA.
And they are claiming 6 psi to 8 psi nets 50-70% HP gains respectively.
And 8 psi is considered generally safe for our OEM motors.

The only thing I might add is that he should listen to a few youtube takes of the procharger to see whether he can deal with the sound of the thing.

1999-01 Cobra (4.6 4V) Street | ProCharger
True on the sound. But then I miss my whistle. I loved hearing that blower when I sitting at a stop light.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Ok so here is the March pulleys-- March Performance - Mustang GT & Mustang Cobra - Pulleys - Ford 4.6L - Ford

I have the short water pump pulley, but what pulleys and/or Kit do I want. March has a fluid damper (crank pulley) , what are the opinions on that. ---Are the March pulleys the best ones to go with.

I realize that the pulleys dont add H.P. but only free up H.P.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Ok so here is the March pulleys-- March Performance - Mustang GT & Mustang Cobra - Pulleys - Ford 4.6L - Ford

I have the short water pump pulley, but what pulleys and/or Kit do I want. March has a fluid damper (crank pulley) , what are the opinions on that. ---Are the March pulleys the best ones to go with.

I realize that the pulleys dont add H.P. but only free up H.P.

March 1158-08 UDP
March 640-08 PS
March 1172 WP
The OEM belt length you have now will work with this pulley combo as well.

Additional underdrive alternator pulleys not included in the recipe:
[OEM size is 2.375”]
March 116-08 4’
Speed Concepts: 3.2”;2.7”
A new belt length will be needed to add these pulleys

Last edited:

FIREBALL

Established Member
If I were getting cams, I would get them through nasvt Todd Warren. He specs his own custom cams now. You would want to tell him what your plans are...or rather know what your plans are, as he will want to know.

Are his re-branded Comp cams? or are they new billet cams ground to his specs? or are they re-ground stock cams?

Users who are viewing this thread