August Heat...

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Higher intake temps in general will reduce power. Less dense air.

Heat can cause increased detonation and pinging. Which reduces power.

Tires in 90 plus degree air temps will stick better. Meaning your 50 foot tire marks you used to be able to do in 60 degree air with throttle only does not happen as easy when it's 4pm and 98 degrees out.

To summarize; your car (no matter turbo, supercharged, nitrous, N/A, electric, whatever) in most cases will feel slower, more sluggish, and down on power in the hottest months of the year.

Felt we all needed this reminder.... Lol.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Hugh... I just ran my quickest pass yet on Saturday. 9.83 @ 140... I can't wait for fall to get here! :)

Flcracker

Established Member
What is the range of environmental conditions in which a motor performs best? I understand that a motor will perform better in cool dense air, but how low can the temperature go before there is a decrease in performance? How does humidity factor in? More humidity, less density?

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
What is the range of environmental conditions in which a motor performs best? I understand that a motor will perform better in cool dense air, but how low can the temperature go before there is a decrease in performance? How does humidity factor in? More humidity, less density?

Intake air can get as cold as you want and there will continue to be gains as long as you can support it with fuel (think nitrous, meth). It's just the cold effecting other things that lessen performance, like road and tire temperatures.

And yes, humidity lessens air density (even though to humans humid air feels heavier) this/barometric pressure effect performance as well.

JTS_7

Established Member

Lots of good tuning info out there explaining methods in which to tune your car in regards to environmental conditions.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I have found that once temps drop down to mid 40's, traction is gone! Can't keep enough heat in the track to hook. Even though mph goes up, ET's don't get quicker.

Jabooh1

Established Member
100* degree ambient here in Houston. Now that I have the CDC GT500 style upper, rousch lower delete, and tiger racing hood the inlet air is 5-7 degrees cooler while moving and only rises to 210 instead of 225 when sitting still.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
There is a limit with the colder is better statement. Too cold is a very real possibility. Fuel atomization is effected when inlet temperature reaches a certain threshold, depending on the fuel type. And even more dependant on fuel delivery type.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I notice the difference when cool out my car feels like it has 50 more hp..you pointed out tires are more sticky when hot and your power is down. When cold your power is up but tires don't grip well on cold pavement.

Users who are viewing this thread