Audio System Opinions in GT500

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
When you build and price a 2010 GT500 on Ford's website, if you click the navigation option, both the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 options are unavailable. I assume the sound with Navigation is still at Shaker 500 levels, but I don't know.

I'd like to hear the opinions of GT500 owners on your factory Navigation / Shaker 500 / Shaker 1000 Audio systems. Do you recommend getting the Shaker 1000 and sticking a Garmin in the window for long trips, or do you recommend springing for the navigation and upgrading the stereo via the aftermarket. Who's happy with his/her choice and who wishes they could have done it differently?

Blaine

Established Member
When you build and price a 2010 GT500 on Ford's website, if you click the navigation option, both the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 options are unavailable. I assume the sound with Navigation is still at Shaker 500 levels, but I don't know.

I'd like to hear the opinions of GT500 owners on your factory Navigation / Shaker 500 / Shaker 1000 Audio systems. Do you recommend getting the Shaker 1000 and sticking a Garmin in the window for long trips, or do you recommend springing for the navigation and upgrading the stereo via the aftermarket. Who's happy with his/her choice and who wishes they could have done it differently?

I'm guessing when you select the NAV. option you are selecting the top audio system so the Shaker 1000 should be included, therefore you wouldn't be able to select a lower audio such as the 500 or 1000 shaker also.

Shaker 500 is plenty loud. If you listen to RAP music and like the EXTRA Bass then go 1000. And of course going aftermarket NAV/TV Tuner in the dash will be cheaper and better.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i like the Navi in mine, i could careless about the stupid box in my trunk. just takes up space. plus i love to hear my exhaust

COBRA32

Established Member
If you like music go with the Mach 1000 its really a nice system. The nav comes with the 500 shaker only. Its one of those weird Ford things if you order this you can not have the other things. If you order the nav you cannot have the highend radio go fiqure. Its like the new SHO order the performance pack no bells and whistles for you forget about the auto highbeam, blind spot system, and no rear sun shade either. I guess its a Ford thing you cannot have it your way its Ford's way are nothing.

Last edited:

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
If you like music go with the Mach 1000 its really a nice system. The nav comes with the 500 shaker only. Its one of those weird Ford things if you order this you can not have the other things. If you order the nav you cannot have the highend radio go fiqure. Its like the new SHO order the performance pack no bells and whistles for you forget about the auto highbeam, blind spot system, and no rear sun shade either. I guess its a Ford thing you cannot have it your way its Ford's way are nothing.

As far as I know, the only difference between the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 is the powered sub mounted in the trunk. All of the rest of the components (sans the obvious nav vs non-nav) are the same.

I've heard the issue is that the Nav radio doesn't have the Shaker 1000 connector on it, nor any room for it due to the GPS antenna and such. Haven't taken the units out to compare.

As for opinion of the units, I like my Nav. It isn't as good as my Second Gen Nav in my MKS, but it does the job and I don't have crap hanging from my windshield, or wires running around my dash....all of which is just personal taste. Some day, if I get tired of the sound of my KR axle backs, then I'll consider adding a sub and/or replacing the speakers/amps in the system. But not for a while.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Well, originally I was concerned about the lack of a 6 CD changer with the navigation system. I guess with the 10 GB hard drive you can upload as many songs as you want from your CD's or MP3 player so the CD changer becomes superfluous.

As for sound quality, as long as the Shaker 500 / Navigation system sounds as good as the Audiophile system in my 2005 F150 Supercrew (with the factory enclosed 8" sub under the back seat), then I'll be satisfied. Now if only I can find that money tree I was going to plant to come up with $50k ;-)

redsap05

Established Member
I would spring for the Nav because the big Cobra logo thats pops up is bad ass.

That is bad ass! I saw it on one of the mottor trend test vids on youtube. The factory nav in the 2010 is a very nice system, 8 inch screen, built in hard drive. Just as nice if not nicer than any aftermarket nav, By the way If you dont get it now when you get your car you'll be screwed if you wanted it later becasue the 2010 nav/audio system is integrated with the ac controls and all so theres no aftermarket option, so best advice is to get the factory one.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
By the way If you dont get it now when you get your car you'll be screwed if you wanted it later becasue the 2010 nav/audio system is integrated with the ac controls and all so theres no aftermarket option, so best advice is to get the factory one.

Yep. Looks like you are commited with either the Nav or the base system with the new dash layout. Thats a pain if you are like me and like to rip everything out and do your own system. :bored:
More the reason to spring for the Nav now and build up the rest from there and add your own subs.
Wonder if you can add a rear camara to the new factory nav?:??:

I would love to add the Cobra to my current screen. love it!:rockon:

TexasShelby

Established Member
For nav, I'd get Shaker 500 and put the Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT in it and be done.

For sound, I'd get the Shaker 500 and add the JL-Audio sub-woofer when it comes out fot the 0'10.

I just had my 6 disk changer replaced when it failed. The only problem was, I loaded it with 6 cds when I bought the car in 06 and never used it again, I always use my iPod. But the changer still cycles with every turn of the key, so the the mechanical portion of the changer wore out. The tech guy says that is very common and they are changing them out like crazy.

Now that I have a brand new one, I'm changing it out with the Pioneer if I can ever get a few days home, and storing mine.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
since I wasn't interested in getting into a car crash looking at a nav screen
I went with the 1000w...not bad for OEM.....haven't looked back;-)

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I must say I am impressed with the shaker 500.
I am half deaf, and wear hearing aides most of the time.
I have my ipod on 99% of the time. If anything I may add a sub to the trunk, but not anytime soon, as I enjoy the muffler deletes to much!

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
I would if I could figure out how to post an image, but here's a link to one:

2010 Shelby GT500 - The Mustang Source Photo Gallery

Here is the photo
13_95227.jpg
[/IMG]

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I too was impressed with the shaker 500. I think that it even out performs the mach 460. The shaker 1000 truely puts out a great balance of bass and sound. SOmething that you usually dont get when you put in aftermarket subs. The aftermarket stuff tends to have the bass overwelm the rest of the system. This I know can be adjusted with a very experienced audio tuner. If it was me I would go with the Nav-system given the new system rivals the MKS and taurus.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
I gotta have Bass! I had the S 500 and it was bassless. But Im picky about sound so Im not the norm.:smmon:

Damn I love the cobra.:bowdown:

TexasShelby

Established Member
Stripe, If bass is what you want, then get the JL Audio trunk sub and a clean amp for it, you won't be sorry.
That with a Shaker 500 has a terrific sound, the only draw back, more weight...but less than the Shaker 1000 trunk sub.

Users who are viewing this thread