Attn: ALL Cobra Owners "tail of the dragon"

topless_sn8k

Established Member
I was just thinking, I have heard alot about the tail of the dragon(www.tailofthedragon.com) up in the smokeymountains. I was wondering do you all think maybe we could meet up in the summertime. I think it would be a blast, and have all the cobras show up in force for a long weekend.

Your thoughts???????

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
There are a few clubs that do the run and it is a blast! SCMC is one of them I beleive. Do an advanced Google for SCMC and tail of the Dragon.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
its not primarily bikes...actually when i went down in my RX-8, i saw VERY few bikes. It'd be nice to get a group down to the dragon, but getting it organized could really be a treat.

I know our brothers over at svtcobraclub.com have a brotherhood that goes down there every year. Your best bet would be to jump on board with them...seems to be a HUGE group of cobra owners in the carolinas that go yearly. We're talking 20-40 cobras.

On a personal note, when i was down there with the 8, i had the tail swaying out on a lot of the turns...and it barely makes any torque...plus has stability control...and sits lower with a much more sturdy suspension. I'd be a little scared to go down in the cobra
scared.gif

It'll bite you if you're not paying attention. One of our buckeyes flipped his down the side of the mountain :eek:

Last edited:

Stavesacre21

Established Member
fair enough...

...although almost impossible to do now due to insane cop coverage, try and take it on at reasonable speeds...you'll see what i mean. With all the tq these cars make, one wrong blip of the throttle on a turn and you'll be on your way down the moutain too.

It's not as easy as it sounds, plus so many of the turns are blind that it's a very unpredictable run. Braking is very crucial, and with a 3500 pound car, it can be slightly challenging. That's where i was going with that...

Last edited:

vortex03

Established Member
The SCMC club and I went last October. We had a nice little cruise too. Coming from Knoxville to all the way to the dragon. We had 21 mustangs all in formation is so emotional. We had fun even though it was a slow run due to the ones that were first timers. The experience drivers (3 of us) went ahead and about half way thru got pulled over. It is still a good road to run. Just be sure to run the dragon VERY EARLY due to less law enforcement and traffic. Mostly the LE has grown due to the lack of experience bike riders. We took the dragon into deals gap, stopped at the Fontana dam, took the hellbender into brison city (Cherokee, NC), and came back around onto 441 (I think) back into pigeon forge.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
i live 30 min from it. I do all of the radio work for the police over there. They do not patrol over there much because of the danger. they will get you on your way to the dragon on the long two lane roads that look like drag strips. I will go if you guys decide to meet up. I could arrage a little day off for the po po on the NC side for us. I have no conrtol over the TN side. I will keep an eye on this thread

Stavesacre21

Established Member
I'd still be game if we'd be able to get a group together to head that-a-way :thumbsup:

stocksvtcontour

Established Member
I would like to go down with all the cobras and make a slow run(on my r6) through the dragon with you guys. I never pass up an opportunity to go there. :p

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I have read and seen a lot of pics from "Tail of the Dragon" but I grew up learning to drive on roads like that around here. I believe that is why I am a good driver. I could take you on roads like the dragon that are not in the mountains. Some of our roads were actually built on the old cow paths many many many years ago. I would love to run the dragon though just once. A friend of mine from the next town over just ran it in October after the Ted Russell annual car show. He said he had a blast.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
They have an all Ford show In Knoxville on saturday at one of the local Ford dealerships and then they run the Dragon usually the next day on a sunday. You could make it a weekend thing for the show and the dragon both. It'd be cool to see some more cobra's and other fords there not from this area.

MuscleOwnzRice

Words that make me cool
Established Member
i have been there before, now its patroled by cops like crazy. There are alot of bikers that weave through there. Pretty fun place in the middle of "You gotta purty mouth" country

topless_sn8k

Established Member
Guys, I’m not trying to break any land speed records. So the police thing is not a worry for me. I just wanted to see if anyone was interested in meeting up so we all could meet as a collective group and make the ride. I think it would be an awesome sight having several 03/04 cobras riding the tail. I’m suggesting this way in advance so we can have an idea.

Last edited:

Stavesacre21

Established Member
anyone have any suggestions of a month/date to aim for? we really should try and pull a trip/caravan together for this! It would be sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread