Attn: ALL Cobra Owners "tail of the dragon"

vortex03

Established Member
Early to mid fall of 08 would be the best time to run it. Not too hot and not too cold. Also when the leaves change colors the mountains look so beautiful. Due to the cooler weather there will be less bikers out also there will be less THP enforcement. Right now would be a very bad time. B/c of the colder weather and higher elevation sometimes they close the road and where its clear where I'm at (bout an 1 hour away) they could have 3 inches of snow. Just some food for thought.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
for anyone that doesn't know much of the dragon, you can find pictures of pretty much every vehicle that passes through it @ www.killboy.com

bought a few off of him when i went down. Very professional!

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
Guys, I’m not trying to break any land speed records. So the police thing is not a worry for me. I just wanted to see if anyone was interested in meeting up so we all could meet as a collective group and make the ride. I think it would be an awesome sight having several 03/04 cobras riding the tail. I’m suggesting this way in advance so we can have an idea.

I'm in

topless_sn8k

Established Member
The SCMC club and I went last October. We had a nice little cruise too. Coming from Knoxville to all the way to the dragon. We had 21 mustangs all in formation is so emotional. We had fun even though it was a slow run due to the ones that were first timers. The experience drivers (3 of us) went ahead and about half way thru got pulled over. It is still a good road to run. Just be sure to run the dragon VERY EARLY due to less law enforcement and traffic. Mostly the LE has grown due to the lack of experience bike riders. We took the dragon into deals gap, stopped at the Fontana dam, took the hellbender into brison city (Cherokee, NC), and came back around onto 441 (I think) back into pigeon forge.

Ok, looks like we have some people interested. I'll try to contact the SCMC club, and maybe we can hook up with them and all go together. I was going to enter my car in there car show but couldn't get off work in time. I believe there show is some time in October, which is good. I would be down in going towards the begining of summer (may-june), I have a vert. and would love to drop the top for the whole weekend!!!!
keep the ideas coming!!! Remeber, it will be a gathering for us to enjoy not to show out and see who finishes first. We SVTs need to stick togehter, plus how awsome would it be to have 40-50 Cobras riding down the tail?!!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

VGER

Established Member
I would go again. It's a great ride.
The first time I was on the dragon was when I was a kid (1960's ish) it made all of us puke. :xpl::xpl: But boy what a ride. :rockon:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Did the dragon many years ago on my bike. It was one of the best weekends of my life. Imagine 318 curves in 11 miles and your in 2nd gear 95% of the time:beer: Personally, I wouldn't take my Cobra there cause in one of them curves..I would spin her out. Cliff on one side and wall on the other..wow. I heard it was altogether closed but not sure exactly what I heard. If you go..you will have a good time:burnout: Also..it's beautiful up there for camping and some good bread and breakfast places-Shane

Stavesacre21

Established Member
its not altogether closed, however the governor of tennessee started this brilliant program to more strickly enforce it...and i'm hearing that it's normal to see anywhere from 4-8 cops in the 11 miles now.

Still open...just not the same as before. Then again, in the Cobras, i'm not gonna be in a rush to be fishtailing my way off the side of a moutain :shrug:

Last edited:

shhak

Established Member
I'm game. I live about half way between Memphis and Nashville, so it's not too awfully far from here. Let me know when it's gonna go down...

topless_sn8k

Established Member
I'm game. I live about half way between Memphis and Nashville, so it's not too awfully far from here. Let me know when it's gonna go down...

Cool, I'll keep monitoring this thread and update..... You need to make a trip to Memphis, we can hit Beal St. :beer:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I've got the answer to all your dragon needs! I am already planning a "Dragon Run" July the 19th, 2008 and the best part is its all to raise money for charity! Here is the site for it. www.aapcarshow.com/dragonrun

Everyone from here is invited for sure. The more stangs the better!:beer:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
its not altogether closed, however the governor of tennessee started this brilliant program to more strickly enforce it...and i'm hearing that it's normal to see anywhere from 4-8 cops in the 11 miles now.

Still open...just not the same as before. Then again, in the Cobras, i'm not gonna be in a rush to be fishtailing my way off the side of a moutain :shrug:

I was on the dragon in the middle of last summer and while the cop presence was up from my last trip it wasn't too bad. Mostly just at the start and end as someone else mentioned. Tenn had a big program on it this year to crack down on speeders but from what I have been told they are calling it a success and aren't going to be patrolling as hot next year or so I have heard anyway.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Bump for the Sunday people. Sent a pm to those who mentioned they were interested in a dragon run.

July 19th, 2008, 318 curves, 11 miles, great cause, bad rides.:rockon:

Stavesacre21

Established Member
looks like cobra_4 is exactly what we were lookin for!

I'd like to try and keep this alive to keep a rough tally of whose gonna be up to go!

I for one plan to be in! :)

Users who are viewing this thread