Attended my first SCCA Solo Test n Tune

blk02edge

Established Member
I'm 6'1", 220lbs. I've sat in a Formula Ford before... I feel like I'm in a clown car haha
Oh hell, nooooo problem... Buddy of mine was racing a DD2 relatively competitive @6'2" 270lbs... And yea, Formula Fords get crampy... Some better than others... My F2000 is veeery tight for me @6'1"

Seriously, get your ass in a 125 shifter... Your Viper will feel like a wet noodle after
Glad I'm not on a plane with you hijackers!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Sorry, as cool as auto X is it's very hijackable when it comes to kart and road racing. :D

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
96 Cobra - yes, I feel like I need to focus on my lack of driving skill for a while. It's alot to put the driving into practice. I had the Regional SCCA Chair ride with me on all four laps. He put me in some cars to get the real experience after my first run.

I think I may piece together a brake upgrade and wheel/tire set and go for it next year. I don't have the desire to turn the car into a racecar, so I will never be too competitive, but I do want to see what those mods and some seat time can get me.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Mainn

Established Member
I've sat in a Formula Ford before... I feel like I'm in a clown car haha

I'm 6'6 and own both a Formula Ford and a kart. Most chassis, with the correct adjustments as you'd do with any driver (pedal positioning, dash size, steering column height and length etc), you'd fit fine in. No excuses!! :)

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’d love to do this sometime, but I feel like my first time ever being in the GT500 would be a bad time.

Road course would also be amazing, see the previous concerns and add the potential to total a car and kill myself.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I’d love to do this sometime, but I feel like my first time ever being in the GT500 would be a bad time.

Road course would also be amazing, see the previous concerns and add the potential to total a car and kill myself.

My first time on a road course with a car was my Gen IV ACR....lol

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did you die?

No, definitely had some oops moments, but it was actually fairly safe to not feel super comfortable, because I definitely drove it within it's limits by a mile and still had a great time.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I went from drag racing to rallycross to autocross and around 2006-2007 i started doing HPDE's which changed my life forever. Currently on a circuitcross/trackcross sprint and plan on going wheel to wheel by December in Champ Car with the rest of our team.

As stated above, get out to an HPDE and try it out. You will be flat hooked. Cones are fun but curbs are better.

smitty2919

Established Member
That much HP for a Novice is almost guaranteed to be hurting you on learning how to autocross. It's like wanting to learn how to ride a bicycle but then getting put on a Hayabusa and let loose :)

Yes, it is addicting...it's a relatively cheap addiction to given the cost of admittance. That's a big car to tame at autocross. You will soon find yourself questioning if you want to go FURTHER with mods that take creature comforts away from street driving...ask me how I know. :)

Figure out what kind of autocrosser you are. Some live by class rules and stick to them (street classes), some love to tinker and modify and that puts you in completely different class (CAM classes). I, myself, love to tinker and do whatever I want when I want with my C5Z so CAM-S it is for me. "Do whatever you want just run 200TW tires" is what it boils down to LOL.

Local stuff is fun, also find some GoodGuys events near you for All American Sundays for a crown and small tight courses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread