ATI Intercooler + Vortech Aftercooler = ?

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on supercharging my car down the road. I am leaning towards the V2-SQ kit. I want my car to be somewhat quite. My friend has an S trim and you can hear him a mile away.

Anyways here is my question. Is it possible to hook up the ATI intercooler w/ the Vortech? I'm assuming the aftercooler has nothing to do with it because it's after the blower.

The main thing is I want to know if it will work. Secondly, would there be any benifit into doing this?

With the extra cooling of the air I would assume so. But I have no exerience in this so someone please enlighten me! I think this idea would be pretty sweet.

Thanks in advance!

'93#3989

Established Member
You could use both if you wanted, but you may have to run a higher boost to overcome the additional restriction in the inlet tract. This doesn't sound like an idea that would work very well. The noise you are hearing is from the gearing in the blower case, thus this wouldn't quiet it down that much.

If you want to improve the cooling efficiency you may want to look at a higher capacity air-to-water intercooler similar(but of a smaller capacity) style to what some Pro 5.0 cars use. This would enable you to run higher boost pressures(due to cooler intake temp.) but would also be rather expensive.

ForceInjection

Established Member
It is possible to run the Procharger’s air to air intercooler with the Vortech. You will need to clock the blower downwards and then fabricate the tubing that will run into the intercooler. You will also need to fabricate the discharge tube from the intercooler to the intake manifold. I would not recommend running the aftercooler and intercooler at the same time that would just add to restrictions. Plus one cooler will do the job just well. By adding this cooler to your vehicle it will allow you to run more psi at a safer level.

hcracerx

Established Member
Running both coolers...

A radical idea, and sounds good in theory...however, like the guys stated above the benefit would definitely not be worth the cost. Maybe if you're doing it just to do it...building some show car and want a room full of trophies for doing something completely different...then have at it!!!
It's like the whole twin supercharging idea...it never pans out like you figure it will. Unlike Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, two things that work well seperately will not automatically work equally or even remotely as well in conjuction with one another. Two superchargers pullied for 8psi on a motor aren't going to make 16psi together. Much the same is most likely true in this case.
If you want cooling beyond what the regular Vortech Aftercooler provides, you can always put ice or dry ice in the reservoir tank. I have heard of people running a small shot of nitrous as well solely for cooling effect.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If you are leaning toward an air to air intercooler, Sean Hyland and Spearco are just a couple of manufacturers that have proven, fitting and efficient kits. It would be cheaper and easier to utilize this type intercooler than to manufacture a new bracket and so forth to use the ATI unit. Not saying that ATI's unit isn't good, just not designed to work with the Vortech SC.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
Why would you want an air-to-air intercooler over a water-to-air aftercooler? :shrug:

Razor.

Cost.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah
Cost.

If you want to be the man, you gotta pay the price. Shortcuts will get your azz smoked on the track and only lead to bigger problems in the future. Just a thought.

Razor.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread