At what point does raising minimum wage stop?

q6543

Established Member
It seems to have peaked in January around me.

Most places that were "now hiring starting at $15" have began dropping.. seeing signs in the 12s and 13s to start now.

My wife operates a upper mid tier restaurant... they got up to $17/hr for dishwashers when they were desperate... they're back down to $13 now as well.

Funny how applicants began flooding in AFTER pay began dropping too.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
wtf knows.... One thing I've noticed is a lot of the $15/hr jobs around here for low skill positions you only get maybe 20 hours a week. You damned sure aren't getting enough hours to qualify for benefits.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
It seems to have peaked in January around me.

Most places that were "now hiring starting at $15" have began dropping.. seeing signs in the 12s and 13s to start now.

My wife operates a upper mid tier restaurant... they got up to $17/hr for dishwashers when they were desperate... they're back down to $13 now as well.

Funny how applicants began flooding in AFTER pay began dropping too.
Do you feel like it’s because people would lose their benefits if they were at a job paying that amount? Maybe they are ok with making less and getting government subsidies.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Target to raise their minimum wage to 24$/hr in some states.
My wife just mentioned to me a half hour ago that Target was raising their minimum wage to that $24. I'm wondering if this is in part due to the worker shortage.

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea the workers will be getting 24 a HR in some states and you wanna know what's the biggest catch??. Hrs will be cut across the board you'll be lucky 2 get 25hrs a week and eventually all self checkout registers

q6543

Established Member
If only there was a poorer country filled with people that wanted to come here and work to send monies back to their families.

That would alleviate wage pressures even further.

Blown 89

Established Member
If only there was a poorer country filled with people that wanted to come here and work to send monies back to their families.

That would alleviate wage pressures even further.
Arizona is full of such people, they want the same high wages for the same lack of work ethic.

My94GT

Established Member
I’ve been starting people at 20.00 for entry level positions and even at that price point it’s like pulling teeth to find anyone worth a damn

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I remember my first job at 15. I was a dishwasher at a little restaurant in my hometown and made $4.25/hr. I never called in sick and worked that job all through high school until I started college. Of course it wasn’t enough money, but I worked my ass off for it knowing I would improve my income after education and better employment opportunities.
Now I see neighborhoods on a daily basis with young and old people “hanging out” at a corner store in a neighborhood somewhere with no job and getting money from the government. This country is breeding losers and we are all ****ed in the future

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sure feels like a swift kick in the nuts to those who have been in the workforce for 20+ years earning their way to higher wages. As mentioned, kids these days can't figure out if they're a human, a cat, which potty to use, or which hair color to go with.

Maybe if that wage starts creeping into the 30s, some experienced folks with work ethic could slide into a comparatively simple job and still pay the mortgage. lol

Users who are viewing this thread