At what point do you think you'll stop caring about having stuff?

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I've always looked at life a bit more simply (in terms of importance) whereas friends lived for the now rather than the later. My money is spent wisely for the most part. Sure I buy nonsense every now and again but I tend to put the majority of money into savings, my house and certain intrinsic pieces. My wife always says I never ask for anything so when I actually do want something, I'll get it.....after much debate and research while weighing the pros and cons of said purchase.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife and I are 36 with a 9,5, and 2 year old. Most of you sound like you would stroke after a walkthrough of my house and buildings.

Wife has too much crap. Kids have too much crap. I have some crap that could probably be downsized as well, but not like the hurricane that is everyone else's shit.

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Premium Member
I have realized now almost at 31 with a wife 3yr old boy and a 1yr old daughter im trying to slim down with things. Even with my prized coins I've made some nice profits but had 2 let go. Even if i died without owning a house my dumbass came a long way LMFAO

tistan

Established Member
It changed for me when I started getting more enjoyment out of watching my bank account grow than the enjoyment I was getting out of buying "stuff".

However, I did impulse buy a 01 Cobra awhile back thinking it'll give me something to do in my free time. Now I look at it and hate the thought of spending a dime on the thing.

10 years ago, I would of spent every dollar I had and then some on it without a worry.
Where is LLs banhammer?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Wife and I both had a significant bump in pay this year. We splurged for a month and a half. Shortly thereafter we saw all the crap we bought and gauged its impact. Some of which was worth it. Some of it not so much. Gave us a lot to think about.

Now we basically buy little man whatever we want to get him. I only spend money on 3 things. Cars, booze, and computers. She has her couple of things.

Everything else, I don't really care about anymore. My cash flow went way up and suddenly i'm not interested in buying anything. We both drive 15-20 year old dailys. We have a cheap (for the area) mortgage. Barely any bills. All in our 30s. Stuff just doesn't mean that much to me (outside of the things I love)

Hoping long term this sets us up to live an easy life in our 50s+

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
It's tough balancing life as our priorities, interests, and situations change. I'm 36 and went through a marriage in my 20's without kids trying to focus on my job and see where my experience took me. I was always handy so I collected tools as I fixed my house up. I got divorced, dated, and took on a fixxer upper townhouse to keep me busy (more tools and supplies purchased), and now bought a new house to fix up (more tools and supplies purchased).

While I have a lot of "stuff" everything pays for itself again and again each time I do work to my properties and not pay someone else. I could limit how perfect I need everything and free my time up but that's about the only thing I'd change is to pace myself and make more time to visit others and enjoy the outdoors. Otherwise I'm keeping all my stuff until I can easily afford to pay someone else to do all this.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
For me, definitely have cut back on some toys as I have two young kids that I rather spend my limited free time with. As they get older, maybe I'll revisit dirt bikes for them and me.
Just don't see the point of buying a shelby at this for it to sit for weeks on end. Not going to load kid seats into a 2 seater car, although I have floated the idea of a HC Challenger due to the space in rear.
Still have a fun vehicle that I use around 6 times a year offroad and daily drive.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I’m 27 and I’m kinda over it lol. When I get my house i think the only furniture I’ll have is a couch and a tv. Nothing else haha. I’m so sick of looking around and seeing so much “stuff” that I really don’t use including cars.

VegasMichael

Established Member
cop70vc0jiy61.jpg

jshen

Established Member
I'm 70 and was "there" at 64. I have a house full of furniture and inherited another full house of furniture when my parents passed away..My siblings are scattered across county and didn't want anything so it all sits in my house. I live alone...and haven't walked though living room, dining room, guest bedroom, in 6 months. Thought about furniture consigner.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
From the Skitzerman files: I keep stuff because I might need it some day. Wife/GF says "Get rid of that stuff". Something needs to be repaired/replaced and I know I got it covered. She says "I got rid of that stuff months ago". A big WTF session breaks out and I don't even get a sniff of clam for weeks. Moral of the story........beware of the Anti-Stuffites.

cobracide

Established Member
Well there's no way I'd have been able to retire early with a wife and kids plus buy and keep all the stuff I want so there you go. Most people fill their garage, I just have empty bedrooms to fill instead.

coposrv

Established Member
Now. I’m 36 and couldn’t care less about “stuff” anymore. Cars, toys, material things, you name it. Just doesn’t matter much it seems. Over the last maybe year or two I’ve slowly just lost interest. It all has just seemed to be white noise.

On the other had the things I have gained interest in is more experience based. Golf trips, vacations, trips with friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

nxhappy

Established Member
i've had a lot in my life. Cars, trucks, bikes, boats, **** you name it. I've been blessed for sure. Now I have my 2 baby daughters, that's all I care about. I sold out in Kali, banked the cash, moved here to AZ in to a smaller home. I live like a minimalist but realistically that's just me. I made a 10 year retirement plan, then I'm done. Life is way too ****ing short to worry about cars and toys. I just wanna see my kids smile, and know that they can have some money when I die. The older you get, the less materialistic you become. Or hopefully that's the way it happens. I've seen a lot of deaths the past couple of years, really opened up my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread