At what point do you think you'll stop caring about having stuff?

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I think its mostly just priorities pivot as you get older. If I was 5 years younger making the same money I'm making now, would probably go full retard and buy a lambo or something stupid. Now I'd much rather have a vacation home since I work from home full time and can work from anywhere. Priorities change over time, and with age comes the realization of how much shit truly costs and makes you think "is this worth it".

quad

Established Member
I'm 74 and I'm not there until I take the dirt nap. I have a 2.5 car garage and an 8'X10' shed that are full of stuff. Did I say I love stuff. I have every gardening tool and machine imaginable including a tiller and snow blower. Enough tools to outfit a small garage along with a full supply of electrical and plumbing tools and associated supplies. I also have a full complement of carpentry tools. I've been tinkering, fixing and making shit all my life. Not to long ago a friend was in my house and said "you have more shit than Home Depot".
Yes I have been planning for a while to expand the house. Sure we could sell and buy a bigger house but I want to modify the house because I like it and know what potential it has. YOLO! Unfortunately things are packed away and not organized properly so I find myself going to Lowes or Home Depot to buy another tool even when I know the tool I am looking for is somewhere in the house and also virtually brand new. One day hopefully I'll have the time and space to organize everything like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My grandfather passed away August of 2020. They were "down" to three cars. One of which is a 57 T-bird. Plus the garage full of tools. The only reason he sold his wood working stuff was because he was on blood thinners and couldn't risk the cut. And he knew he'd be too tempted if the tools were still there. He was still buying hand tools until his health turned.

I guess it's genetic because we have the water toy and now we're looking at desert toys. Oh, and I'm 43.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
That's an interesting question.

I don't care about simply having "stuff". I buy what I like and enjoy using/experiencing. I don't care about "keeping up with the Jonses".

At what point will I stop caring about what I have? Probably when the time comes that I can no longer use/enjoy them; which won't be likely until I'm dead.

I think the question/answer depends heavily on one's mindset and purpose for having something.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
As we get older the care of what we care about is different and in different ways, but I think we still will always have a passion for things that we have done and experienced.

I try to enjoy my stuff I really do. I fully know and have been around enough loss that I know life is short. I want to keep enjoying my stuff, and my life. I will never not drive one of my cars to "keep the mileage low". I bought them to enjoy them, and no one is on deaths door wishing they had driven a favorite car of theirs less.

I have many vintage tools that are probably worth more to "tool collector's" that I find myself questioning at what point are these so valuable that I shouldn't be using them?
Than I always tell myself what does it matter just enjoy using them as they had been passed down to me and used by my dad and grand dad and I can still be using them for what they were intended to be used for as they are fully better than any tools that can be bought today.

So to answer the OP's original question. I would think for me. It will be until I physically can't anymore, and at that time it would be time to go to the next generation and they can decide if they want my stuff or not.

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cobracide

Established Member
57 and retired so I need to cultivate more hobbies. ie MORE STUFF.

Picked up a 4" Refactor telescope and mount. A bedroom full of car parts and another bedroom full of computer equipment. Still one car though, so tempting these new GT500s..

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I'll offer a differing view.

I moved to San Diego 8 years ago into a 650sf 1br with my then gf, now wife of 4yrs. We keep trying to buy a house but homes are continually just out of reach. I haven't had much stuff in a while, my car hobby has been put on hold for lack of garage, I tinker with ARs at our coffee table. It's not optimal for a hands on person like me, but it's a sacrifice i made to live somewhere I love.

But....I can't WAIT to have room for stuff. I will be binging hard when that day comes. My fear now is that by the time we can, capitalism will be over and nobody will make stuff anymore, and all the aftermarket will be gone and cars banished to the elites. So enjoy your stuff while you can, you never know when it's one pen stroke from being regulated to history books.

awful knawful

Established Member
My dad is 72. He just went on a selling spree
An old wood cooking stove, his Honda goldwing, lawn dethatcher, an extra pressure washer and a plow for an atv.

He never gets rid of anything.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm 41 and I seem to want more and more cars. But it starts to feel like a lot of work just taking them out periodically to get the fluids moving.

Having one fun car is much easier on the wallet and gives it the full attention it deserves.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Our basement was getting full of old stuff we accumulated over the years, which put a dent into buying new stuff. LOL. So we cleaned it out earlier this year and I'm good to go. I have, though, honed by buying to mainly what's needed. I don't buy nearly as many "toys" as I did when I was younger. Priorities change!

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Never really cared about having 'stuff'. Waste of time, waste of money. I'd rather spend time and money on my future self, and not to depreciating and degrading assets and feeding a bank interest payments. I have a few things that are pretty cool, but have avoided the desire for 'stuff'.

I just rent stuff when the opportunity or need arises.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'll offer a differing view.

I moved to San Diego 8 years ago into a 650sf 1br with my then gf, now wife of 4yrs. We keep trying to buy a house but homes are continually just out of reach. I haven't had much stuff in a while, my car hobby has been put on hold for lack of garage, I tinker with ARs at our coffee table. It's not optimal for a hands on person like me, but it's a sacrifice i made to live somewhere I love.

But....I can't WAIT to have room for stuff. I will be binging hard when that day comes. My fear now is that by the time we can, capitalism will be over and nobody will make stuff anymore, and all the aftermarket will be gone and cars banished to the elites. So enjoy your stuff while you can, you never know when it's one pen stroke from being regulated to history books.

Last year we moved from an 1100sq-ft house with barely a two car garage to a 1900sq-ft house with a 3 car garage and room for an RV. Once I saw the 3 car garage I knew there was no going back. There was just enough room for the Cobra with all my tools at the old place.

The "funny" part is the third bay currently has more of my son's and friend's stuff than my stuff. It's essentially become a storage area for the time being.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
My GF asked me "Why all this stuff"? I said, "you've seen the cabinets, bar, railing, floors and window frames that I made" "You've seen hot water heaters, sinks, toilets, garbage disposals, wall oven, stove top and garage doors I installed" "You've seen me put breaker boxes on all the 220 Volt lines I put in". "You've seen both a car and truck off the ground with me under them, doing what I do". "You've seen the veggie garden I plant every every year and all the prep and maintenance that goes with it". "You've never seen a maintenance man come in this house". Now, I did not put a new roof on this house, install a new HVAC w/Heat Pump or lay yards of concrete but every other nail, nut and bolt was done by me. You just can't do all that shit and not have a shit load of stuff.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Doubt I'll stop anytime soon. I grew up BROKE AS *&)&. My materialism is stronger than my income. If I ever win the lottery which I don't play I'll have 10 cars no doubt...lol.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
It changed for me when I started getting more enjoyment out of watching my bank account grow than the enjoyment I was getting out of buying "stuff".

However, I did impulse buy a 01 Cobra awhile back thinking it'll give me something to do in my free time. Now I look at it and hate the thought of spending a dime on the thing.

10 years ago, I would of spent every dollar I had and then some on it without a worry.

Users who are viewing this thread