At what point do you think you'll stop caring about having stuff?

Adower

Established Member
Was at my parents house yesterday, they're both a little older (age 71) and they told me that they want to start to get rid of "stuff" (extra car, extra truck, jet ski, etc). None of it is money related as they're well off. I asked them why and they said that they just don't value it anymore. I guess this is possibly just part of getting older.

If you've gone through this at what age did you start to have the same mind set? I'm 39 and I feel like I'm starting to head there. I used to have two dirt bikes, a quad, a street bike, 2 mustangs. Pretty much sold all of them except one of the mustangs.

tistan

Established Member
I'm 42 and I'm already getting that way. You can basically rent everything that you want for toys, so why keep up maintenance and storage. My biggest problem is I still like cars, and can't seem to ever get under 5 vehicles, but I used yo average 7 -8, so I have gotten better.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I am staring to get there. Full retirement is 4 years away and I have a certain place in life I want to be at that point and having a bunch of stuff is not included in that plan.

velocicaur

Established Member
I'm feeling it at 36. I'm still keen on having a nice vehicle but I found myself looking at brand new Hyundai Accent's for 16k the other day on Autotrader. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry about that. I still have some fun stuff like a snowmobile, dirt bike, etc. They just sit in the garage and take up space for the most part. They are in great condition so I am going to just keep them in case I get the itch to ride again.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I'm confident that, if blessed to see old age, I will count my blessings and regrets in the amount of "who's" and not the amount of "what's."

That said, I still get OCD with my cars. But, I have not given up on being . . . better.

VegasMichael

Established Member
If I had a lot of stuff I would already be paring my stuff down since I retire next year and will be relocating. It will depend on where I decide to live. If I get a condo on the beach I will have to get rid of a lot my garage items. Tools, workbench, jacks, race ramps, gardening tools, shelving, ladders, electrical cords, lighting, etc. I have a 9 foot pool table that will be staying with the house when I sell regardless of whether I get a condo or a single family home. If I get the latter I will keep all of that stuff.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I think it's really just prioritizing and realizing that you don't have time for everything.
exactly this

and when you have a bunch of stuff sitting around almost never being used you end up spending more time working on it than using it. Hell, half the time i try to play my Xbox it spends more time updating than I do playing it.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll be 31 in December and when we just moved I threw away 2.5 (30yard) dumpsters worth of 'stuff'.

I think it's really just prioritizing and realizing that you don't have time for everything.
isn't it surprising how much you end up getting rid of when you're in that cleaning mode. I own a garbage business and I always tell people it's better to get something bigger than what you think because you always end up finding more stuff to get rid of.

I'll never be able to get rid of my cars. those are my passion. everything else is replaceable.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m there now, been there for a while. Only thing I want to work for is making sure my kids and wife are happy and the ultimate goal would be to retire at the beach. All the toys and stuff will get in the way of that goal so I don’t really care about what I drive anymore.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Sold the car i never thought id sell 5 years ago at 37. Always thought 'there will be more mustangs'. Currently making more money than i ever have before but for whatever reason, have zero interest.

Stuck in Chicago area but these days all i really want is a chunk of land, a tiny/shipping container house, fast internet and my 75" TV

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Other than my car, I really don't have much stuff anymore. I even found that it makes much more sense and is cheaper to charter a boat when I want to go fishing.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I own a garbage business and I always tell people it's better to get something bigger than what you think because you always end up finding more stuff to get rid of.
same, they always want to save a few bucks on a 15 yard dump trailer or something stupid and end up spending way more dumping it a bunch of times vs my 30 yard

My94GT

Established Member
I get rid of pretty much all stuff I don’t use. Also everything has a price so I’m not attached to anything

Fat Boss

Established Member
I'm looking forward to buying a bigger house with a big ass shop to hold more and more cars. My dad has a few antique cars dating back to 1910 that I'm going to inherit at some point.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'll be 31 in December and when we just moved I threw away 2.5 (30yard) dumpsters worth of 'stuff'.

This 200%

I think I'm starting to get there, I turn 30 next year. Got buddies with 'all the stuff' (Twin turbo lambos, 350whp+ SxS, turbo crotch rockets, boats, fashion, you name it) and they're not happy, said the stuff just makes you happy for a while, then its just like 'meh'

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
My Daughter is at the same point with me that I was with my father when he was in his 50s. If I want it I already have it and if I don't have it it's most likely because I don't want/need it. there are a couple things that I still collect, and am always glad to get some additions to those.

I am pretty much done with cars, I still enjoy them and still have my 95 Cobra but am not planning on getting anything new. I can retire at any time. and what I have will do me quite nicely till it's time for them to bury me.

The more stuff you have when you die the more stuff your kids will toss because they will have little interest in your stuff.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I'm 74 and I'm not there until I take the dirt nap. I have a 2.5 car garage and an 8'X10' shed that are full of stuff. Did I say I love stuff. I have every gardening tool and machine imaginable including a tiller and snow blower. Enough tools to outfit a small garage along with a full supply of electrical and plumbing tools and associated supplies. I also have a full complement of carpentry tools. I've been tinkering, fixing and making shit all my life. Not to long ago a friend was in my house and said "you have more shit than Home Depot".

Users who are viewing this thread