AT&T Next Flan (Revisited)

BlackOutUT

Established Member
So with all the Apple chaos today, I found myself checking out the AT&T Next plan again. I was not aware they had changed it significantly back in January. For my/my families account, I determined it was a rip last year. But now it looks like it could make sense to switch. From everything I've looked into, it appears that the more bigger data plan & more lines you have, the more sense it makes. Our current family account has 7 lines on it. Has anyone taken the leap under the new Next terms? what is your opinion on it?

AAG

Established Member
Yes I did. We were/still are under contract and AT&T allowed us to switch to one of the new plans (3 lines). We went from $190 down to $140 per month. I lost my unlimited data but we gained unlimited mins and 10 gbs shared data (one line had no data coverage prior).

The only thing that sucks is next month our contract expires and if we want to upgrade, we'll have to pay more per month either by getting the next plan or a contract. I'm seriously considering paying full price for a phone to avoid that.

Last edited:

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
So with all the Apple chaos today, I found myself checking out the AT&T Next plan again. I was not aware they had changed it significantly back in January. For my/my families account, I determined it was a rip last year. But now it looks like it could make sense to switch. From everything I've looked into, it appears that the more bigger data plan & more lines you have, the more sense it makes. Our current family account has 7 lines on it. Has anyone taken the leap under the new Next terms? what is your opinion on it?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4528404/att-next-phone-upgrade-plans-a-huge-ripoff

I just went into an AT&T store and had one of the sales person "level" with me and said the AT&T next plan is a rip off. Then I found the article above. They are forcing you to buy the phone full retail, I am eligible for the regular 2 year upgrade so I think I am going to go that route.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah all the US carriers are slowly bring over the European market style of cell phone purchasing. Hell I was being trained on it back in 2010.

stangposse

Established Member
I found it to be a sweet deal. I went from 2 lines to 4 lines while paying the SAME price. I was "grandfathered" with unlimited data before the switch, but I would get throttled after 5GB...so it was useless. The people using my other 2 lines will only use about 1GB of data each...so now I get 8GB to play with. I rarely go over 4GB...maybe 3 months out of the year.

Wiech151

Established Member
My plan was going to be cheaper too but losing the unlimited data changed my mind. Aka I use my phone too much.

ps. I love flan also

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
I found it to be a sweet deal. I went from 2 lines to 4 lines while paying the SAME price. I was "grandfathered" with unlimited data before the switch, but I would get throttled after 5GB...so it was useless. The people using my other 2 lines will only use about 1GB of data each...so now I get 8GB to play with. I rarely go over 4GB...maybe 3 months out of the year.

So maybe I am confused how did you add 2 lines and keep your bill the same when they take the price of your upgraded phones and install them into your monthly bill? Just curious.

ViciousJay

Established Member
My plan was going to be cheaper too but losing the unlimited data changed my mind. Aka I use my phone too much.

ps. I love flan also

Keep into account even with unlimited data they are throttling you after a certain amount of data usage.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Last year I made the switch to the AT&T 10g 4 line plan for $160 (all smart phones). I recently went to upgrade to the LG G3 ($199) and a 2 year contract extension. Found out every phone I upgrade on contract makes my plan go up $30 per month. So $30 * 24 months/$720 + $199 = $919. F that!

Instead I did the upgrade plan, paid tax on the phone $36, $24 per month on the phone (interest free loan) and no contract.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Last year I made the switch to the AT&T 10g 4 line plan for $160 (all smart phones). I recently went to upgrade to the LG G3 ($199) and a 2 year contract extension. Found out every phone I upgrade on contract makes my plan go up $30 per month. So $30 * 24 months/$720 + $199 = $919. F that!

Instead I did the upgrade plan, paid tax on the phone $36, $24 per month on the phone (interest free loan) and no contract.

Seems like this plan has a good mixture of people who love it or hate it.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
I just went in and spoke with a very good friend's brother who works at att. Bottom line here is this... If you do not do the next plan, or bring your own phone (bought an eBay etc or pay full price) you will lose the discount that is currently on every line. This discount was 25 a line in our case. Therefore if you go I and do your normal 2 year upgrade, you will lose this credit. That was the main factor for us. There are also other fees that are waived by doing the next plan.

Bottom line is if you want the line credit you will have to provide your own phone I some way by paying full price up front, splitting the payments up with next, or getting a phone from some other source. These 2 year contracts and subed phones are on there way out.

Users who are viewing this thread