At Step 50 of 50 and front bumper hung up on passenger side.

AZ SVT

Established Member
Okay there may be a few less than 50 bolts/ push pins but not many. The last steps are to pull the back edges away from the car. Driver side almost falls out. Passenger side feels like its still bolted on.

I've watched a ton of videos and referred to this one while doing it because it was short (didn't have any wasted time like showing unscrewing every single bolt, just one of each group):
Yes, the bolts at the bottom and behind the wheel liner are definitely out as well as all others but those two would be the only ones that could hinder pulling the side out.

If I tug on the outside any harder something will break. I can reach up behind past the wheel line but can't get much leverage to push. Best guess where its hanging up is about midway between the wheel well and the head light. on the back edge of the bumper.

I found a thread where some shop broke a member's bumper pulling too hard but no speculation on why (was NOT bolts still in).

Anyone else have one side or the other hang up or have any ideas for getting it free?

robertlyons

Established Member
You are absolutely, positively sure you have removed the God damed 7mm bolt that's about twice as long as it has a right to be that does nothing but make sure the edge between the fender and the bumper cover stays straight, correct? The one most videos show coming out in 10 seconds, but in reality takes over 5 minutes due to the wheel well interference and the fact that you probably still have the wheel on the car, yes? If you have that one out, there is nothing but friction holding the bumper cover on. I'd reconnect the driver side, go to the passenger side and pull the bumper cover 90 degrees out from the fender. It makes some ugly sounds, but it should pull away. do the same to the driver's side, then lift and pull away the bumper cover. Oh, and make sure you detach all three light harnesses on each side first. I just replaced my intercooler after putting it off for a long time, dreading the bumper cover removal. But that was the easiest part, except for those MoFo 7mm bolts that hold the cover to the fender. Did I mention how much I hate those bolts?

Good luck.

AZ SVT

Established Member
Yeah, all bolts and push pins are out. The wheels are off the car. Its not just friction holding it in. Its friction on the fender side, but the bumper cover is wedged between the fender and another piece and the part of the cover that is wedged has slots cut into it. That part on the other side has tabs that snap into those slots, just like the tabs that hold the grill in the bumper cover. And those tabs are solid unlike the bumper cover. I suppose the plan is for the slots in the cover to stretch enough to somehow ride over the tabs. But if a particular tab is a little sharper than most or that part is just slightly closer to the fender than "normal" so the tabs are closer than the thickness of the bumper cover, the slot can tear. I suppose if only one of the 3 slots tear things will still line up when reinstalled.

You can bet I'm going to file those tabs way down before reinstalling and debur the slots in the bumper cover. There is not consistency in tolerances in these cars. As I said the driver side only needed maybe a 5-10 lb pull, almost nothing. The passenger side I'm guessing I stopped at about 30-40 lbs and it didn't come lose just bent. The ONLY difference is the distance between the fender and the part with the tabs and/or the sharpness of the tabs.

Users who are viewing this thread