At home dry aged steaks

ZEN357

Established Member
No way you will get quality meat for $3/lb.

I just bought a small steer from my wife's uncle last year. 600 lb steer. After processing it came out to about $7.50/lb. We got most of it done in hamburger. Got about 160 lbs of burger and 30 lbs of steak. Yield was a bit low because we specifically told the processor no gristle in the burger. These are free range in New Mexico. Best damn burgers and tacos I've ever had with this meat. They are not prime beef. For prime steak you're gonna pay but it would still be cheaper than HEB or other market.

Well we did!!! He's a co-worker and friend and didn't over charge me! The meat is high end quality and yes, we got it for $3 a pound! Total cost for the cow was $980. Well worth it and my wife, being an ex-butcher knows her meats and the quality she looks for, so say what you want, but it IS high quality meat and yes, we got it for $3 per pound
!!!

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Well we did!!! He's a co-worker and friend and didn't over charge me! The meat is high end quality and yes, we got it for $3 a pound! Total cost for the cow was $980. Well worth it and my wife, being an ex-butcher knows her meats and the quality she looks for, so say what you want, but it IS high quality meat and yes, we got it for $3 per pound
!!!

That's awesome! He hooked you up!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
!!!
All things considered, his statement was still correct as I wouldn't be able to get high quality for $3 a pound.

ZEN357

Established Member
All things considered, his statement was still correct as I wouldn't be able to get high quality for $3 a pound.

No you most likely would not and I'm no sure we will be able to again because he is selling off his remaining cattle to get out of the business, but we weren't gonna pass up the opportunity. Either way it beats paying $8 to $12 per pound at Kroger when it's on sale. Kroger also had a recall of their beef this week due to e-coli.

Check your freezer: Kroger recalls ground beef and ribeye due to potential health hazard

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
it wont be dry aged but Im definitely gonna be cooking myself a fat steak now, thanks a lot ya bastards

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

Processing my steer was $1.90 a lb. That's based on net yield weight not gross.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
No you most likely would not and I'm no sure we will be able to again because he is selling off his remaining cattle to get out of the business, but we weren't gonna pass up the opportunity. Either way it beats paying $8 to $12 per pound at Kroger when it's on sale. Kroger also had a recall of their beef this week due to e-coli.

Check your freezer: Kroger recalls ground beef and ribeye due to potential health hazard
That sucks.
Processing my steer was $1.90 a lb. That's based on net yield weight not gross.
That seems fairly expensive based on my limited research.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Day 16,
IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The pics of when I took out the 35 day won’t attach for whatever reason. Here is a sous vide then seared 35 day prime ribeye (ass end of the ribeye, so it is small). I can’t say it’s the best steak I’ve ever had, but the texture and strong beef flavor made it to where I didn’t need horseradish or added flake salt. Looking forward to the 60 day.
IMG_1679.JPG

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
The pics of when I took out the 35 day won’t attach for whatever reason. Here is a sous vide then seared 35 day prime ribeye (ass end of the ribeye, so it is small). I can’t say it’s the best steak I’ve ever had, but the texture and strong beef flavor made it to where I didn’t need horseradish or added flake salt. Looking forward to the 60 day.View attachment 1584757

Looks like SaltGrass

Users who are viewing this thread