At a loss....

Westsidecobra4

Established Member
About a year ago I posted some problems with my AOD to t-5 swap on a 1990 Mustang GT. We finally got the car to run and not stall when coming to a stop. I took the car to Excessive Motorsports in Manassas, VA and had 4.10 gears installed and a bypass tube installed since the car has a vortech on it. I put 44lb injectors in the car thinking it would increase the power b/c it seemed like the car had no power. When I did this the car would not start anymore. I called Excessive and was told I needed to put the 24lb injectors back in the car b/c thats what the chip was tuned for on the PCM. I put the 24lb injectors back in the car and it still will not start. I took the PCM apart and noticed there was capacitor fluid on the board so I sent it to Module Experts in Florida to rebuild the PCM. I got it back and that PCM still did not work and basically threw $200 away hoping to fix that. I put a AOD PCM in the car with the chip and the car threw codes 25, 15, 67, 85, 10, 11. I know one of these codes is for the neutral safety switch b/c i have it bypassed with a 15 amp fuse (the car ran fine this way before). I suspected the car wasn't getting any fuel so I double check the fuel rails for pressure and made sure the injectors were seated in the intake. I checked for spark and the #1 plug was firing. It was suggested maybe the TFI module was bad and the car wasn't firing exactly when it was supposed to. I replaced the TFI module yesterday and tried to start the car and it backfired one time and just continued to turn over. I know I probably don't have the car in proper timing now since I moved the distributor but I did mark it and move it back to where it was.......At this point I'm at a complete loss on this car and ready to focus on another project. What keeps me from doing that is that I just spent about 6k on the T-5 swap with all new parts and a vortech blower. I've done too much to the car with brand new parts to chalk it up for a loss. Any suggestions or guidance as to where to even start would be appreciated. The car specs are as follows: stock 302 with holley systemax upper and lower intake, long tube bbk headers, 24lb injectors, new engine harness, new o2 sensor wires, new trans harness, 65mm throttle body, calibrated MAF with a 6psi vortech super charger, 4.10 gears, auto PCM with chip, msd coil.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
So were you getting good fuel pressure to the rails ? If at any time while you were swapping out injectors you needed to remove and re-install the distributor, it sounds like you need to go back to square 1 and put the Engine at tdc and re-install/re-time it per the manual. Since you're saying you felt it was down on power even when it was running it sounds like it may not have been set correctly from the get go. . Backfiring is also typically timing related.

Westsidecobra4

Established Member
Yeah it was getting plenty of fuel bc when I double checked the injectors a bunch of fuel sprayed out. I also had wet plugs and replaced them as well. I'm just confused that the issue could have been distributor related since the car ran fine before the injector reinstall. As far as timing, is there a way to check too dead center that's more accurate than shoving a screwdriver in the #1 cylinder and watching it fall out when I turn the motor over?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread