At a crossroads with my 97 cobra.

solis castillo

Established Member
Hi guys i'm at a crossroads, a year ago my one of my engines rods decided to bend and ruin the engine. Due to my not so low low budget i bought a Mark engine with low miles and a procharger kit, unfortunately i din't realize the power i want to make(500hp+) will probably destroy the engine and the T45. Like everything in life things change quick, i now have a larger budget and have decided to do a different swap but undecided on which of this 2 engines i want, so i came here to see what opinion other have on them.

the two swaps i will like to do are a complete Terminator swap with upgrades or a coyote swap. now the plus of the termi swap is i can get a complete set up for 8k practically the entire car, the coyote will be a 10k+ and that with the cheapest trans that can hold the power.

so what would you guys go with?

little background on the car-
1997 cobra 120k miles, pacific green
Complete MM Suspension
FTR GT500 front brakes

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I have the coyote in my 97 Cobra and thought of the same Termi/Yote choices before I did it.

Deciding factor for me was I wanted the latest and greatest that I could do and could still make as much power on a stock ‘yote than a Termi. You can upgrade both tremendously, but I enjoy the awe factor when I raise the hood and if I want to put a VMP blower on it I can in the future.

I also found a used T56 with clutch that I purchased and installed with the swap.

Best piece of advise...use a shop who knows what they are doing....the one I used hand no clue and I had to enlist a friend who is a mechanice to finish it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adower

Established Member
Are you dead set on having a term or coyote swap? If you already have a pro charger why not go with a teksid block and forge it. The block will handle all you can throw at it. You’ll have extra cash to build your t45 or go buy a t56.

solis castillo

Established Member
I have the coyote in my 97 Cobra and thought of the same Termi/Yote choices before I did it.

Deciding factor for me was I wanted the latest and greatest that I could do and could still make as much power on a stock ‘yote than a Termi. You can upgrade both tremendously, but I enjoy the awe factor when I raise the hood and if I want to put a VMP blower on it I can in the future.

I also found a used T56 with clutch that I purchased and installed with the swap.

Best piece of advise...use a shop who knows what they are doing....the one I used hand no clue and I had to enlist a friend who is a mechanice to finish it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank for the reply, i will be doing everything myself excluding the tuning and electrical/wiring. Now for me the latest and greatest is not a issue, i'm looking more for reliability and wont be going past 500hp. of course i will be doing every reliability mod to the engines before it goes in.

solis castillo

Established Member
Are you dead set on having a term or coyote swap? If you already have a pro charger why not go with a teksid block and forge it. The block will handle all you can throw at it. You’ll have extra cash to build your t45 or go buy a t56.

i will have to upgrade practically everything on the Lincoln and trans, i already made the price comparison between the 3 option and well i just rather upgrade to the termi/coyote. The Procharger will be sold, its practically new 0 miles. Now its not totally off the table, i just don't want to go cheap on a forge rotating kit and regret it later.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Coyote swap and 6R80 trans with US Shift Quick 6 controller. Car will be fast as **** for the least amount of money.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Lol don't fear the gear. Look at what size tire you are running and when you will be shifting. Telling someone to "stay away" from X gear without knowing any details is ****ing retarded.

solis castillo

Established Member
I'd build the Teskid also. I like keeping the 4.6L under the hood of a Cobra.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mm it would be a plus to plug and play. i know its about 2500 for a decent forge rotating kit, but i haven't researched what the cost is in parts and labor for the heads, or if its even worth the effort. with the other two i know i get better heads and other things.

96dreamer

Established Member
I went through the same thing a few years ago when I lost a piston skirt on my motor. I decided to c head swap my teksid block and replace with better forged pistons(it already had forged manley rods.) I think I had close to $5k in just parts after the rebuild was all said and done. I now am in the middle of a blow thru waste gated novi2000 build that should net ~600 rwhp. If I had to do it all over again I would have coyote swapped it.

Prices have came down a bunch since I was looking at them. You don't have to buy a new motor, great deals can be had with wrecked f150s and the motors are 99% the same. Many guys have bought full bodied wrecked trucks and cars and after parting out came damn close to breaking even. Just something to think about

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
The simplicity of installation and wiring, keep it mod motor/terminator.

Coyote swap is nice and all, but don't forget, the little things will nickle and dime you. Especially if you have to pay someone to do it.

Adower

Established Member
mm it would be a plus to plug and play. i know its about 2500 for a decent forge rotating kit, but i haven't researched what the cost is in parts and labor for the heads, or if its even worth the effort. with the other two i know i get better heads and other things.
If you’re only looking I make 500hp the b heads with boost can get you there easy. No need for c heads.

Users who are viewing this thread