Army recruiters, I have questions!

Regulars520

Established Member
I did what you are wanting to do. I was Marine Corp with FAST Co and then 2/3 out of Lejuene. You can switch services and it is a easy process. If you do not have a profile for your neck and you are not collecting disabilty for it then you are fine. To go to selection is no big deal for SF. SF has internal recruiters, you are better suited to seek one of them out. I would suggest to contact 1st Group out of Ft. Lewis Washington. CAG really isnt a easy option for you at this point, SF is usually a stepping stone to CAG, as far as SF recruiting who they need, they always need everybody. SF cosists of teams. A,B,C etc... A team being the go to team (Varsity). They will fill these teams and deploy them. B,C etc.. usually will deploy as a support team or stay in the rear and train as a back up team if something happens to A team. CAG(Delta) has its own selection. The 75th is just that, the 75th. However the 75th does not like former service or former unit members. Due to the fact that they want you fresh and trained right out of the gate their way with no bad habits to break from previous units. However it is possible to go. You do not need to go straight from the Marines to SF, 75th etc... Go thru the process and transfer from the Marines to the army, you will go from a 0311 to a 11b. You will skip boot camp and infantry school and be assigned straight to a infantry unit. Once there go to the SF recruiter and start the process. Now SF is done in stages, you do not just go to selection and pass and then become SF. Selection, Robin Sage, Sear school, Airborne then your specialty class and language class and then you get assigned to a unit and then a team or wherever SF needs you. Just because you become SF also does not mean that you will be deployed or used as a shooter. You can go anywhere from behind a desk to team leader. Its all about where SF needs you. The process to become SF is almost 2 years. Please dont ask me how I know all of this, but I dont care what anybody else tells you, this is the process and how it really goes.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Thanks for the follow up info, it's always good to know the real process. I went a different route though. Currently started a career and am utilizing the GI Bill working more than I ever did when I was an 03. Also already filed the claim for my neck and back as it was obvious they were going to be a setback to any further military plans. If things go far south in the world and the country is hard on bodies then I will try to join again and probably through this route but for now it's not on the table.

Also, I never had any realistic hopes or dreams of being in CAG if I put that impression across. I understand the realities of that level of work across the board and being in a specialized unit myself for a while I knew that SF, Marsoc, 75th, etc, while far more specialized, were all attainable for me if I really wanted it. I never assumed CAG just to be clear lol.

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
If you were a 0311 you could have made CAG down the road. We are/were Marines anything is possible!! Good luck in your career.
Semper Fi

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If you were a 0311 you could have made CAG down the road. We are/were Marines anything is possible!! Good luck in your career.
Semper Fi

Haha, anything is possible but to me that's the most prestigious job in our field of work so I won't insult those who are in it by assuming it's a given as I'm sure they busted their asses like no other to get there. Appreciate the input though brother and good luck in your career as well. Stay safe out there!

And I was an 0311 and an 8154! Getting that 8154 was my biggest key to success in life so far I must say.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
If you switch to the Guard you might not be able to keep your rank of CPL, however it is state dependent. For example here in LA, the state did away with the CPL rank unless you were actually promoted prior and not just a lateral transfer from E-4 SPC. We just recently got a guy who came from the special forces, back into a infantry line unit, he had given us a small rundown of how weekend drills went and they were pretty busy training from start to finish of drill. I think it would be a good idea to try for some form of 18X, it would be a really good career investment. As for trying something similiar to help get your foot in the door and better prepared for SF selection, go to the TX National Guard and get into the 143rd Airborne, its the only national guard airborne unit, and they are very well prepared, most if not all NCO's and Officers are sent to Ranger school. Get the Ranger handbook and study it, 99% of the stuff taught at selection is based on that handbook. Good Luck!!

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
Ranger is a great way to go and they will take you regardless of what the some say. Its a process similar to SF, as far as passing phsyicals, tests, a small selection process, Ranger school, Airborne school, and lastly RASP. The 75th is in need of people badly and it is a very good experience and some of the baddest MF's on the planet despit what many say.

SF is a long process from start to finish. First you will do the physical (Phase I & II), then you have to take the PT test (240 of better for PSYOPS & Civil Affairs, similar for SF). You will have to take the DLAB prior to your school date to determine language eligibility. You will then go to selection at Bragg, if you get selected you will return to home station. From there you will go to Benning for Airborne school, then back to home station. At that time you will PCS to Bragg for SERE-C and the Q-Course.

My suggest is don't become an 18X Operator (unless you can get a good skill). I would go PSYOPS or Civil Affairs. The reason I say that is you will have an actual marketable skill when you get out of the Army, whether that is after your 3 year commitment, or 20 years. Also, another thing to keep in mind is not all 18X are kick in door operators. Each Group has teams that are for that while the rest work with NGO's and civilian populas.

Either way, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread