Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
GeneralDynamicsStryker2.jpg

New missile-armed Stryker unveiled by General Dynamics

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Holy shit it’s outfitted with a 30mm! Too bad the Stryker sucks donkey dick. Seen too many ripped apart by IED’s. Not having a V shaped hull was a major design flaw.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
No platform is perfect. There are many examples of vehicles surviving IEDs. Also, vehicle incapacitation or even destruction shouldn't be used to evaluation it's its ability to survive an IED, only actual crew survivability.

It can't have much more armor than it does and still retain mobility. There's always a trade off, seems like you may already know that. Back when this thing was designed, IEDs weren't a thing.

I'd wager that the real problem is usage of equipment in situations it wasn't designed for. The Stryker is based off a vehicle that was primarily designed to haul troops to and from a place and defend itself is possible, not directly engage hostiles with that vehicle.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
It can't have much more armor than it does and still retain mobility. There's always a trade off, seems like you may already know that. Back when this thing was designed, IEDs weren't a thing.

While it’s true the Stryker was designed before the proliferation of IED’s in Iraq circa 2004-2005, land mines have existed for decades before its design. A V shaped hull would increase survivability from a blast underneath. It sucks that we rolled out a new troop transport vehicle only for it to be a liability once it hit the battlefield just a couple years later. And yes it was intended to fight on a conventional battlefield and not in a COIN environment but they should have had a little foresight in the design process to include a V hull at least.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The sand people just kept digging bigger holes u
While it’s true the Stryker was designed before the proliferation of IED’s in Iraq circa 2004-2005, land mines have existed for decades before its design. A V shaped hull would increase survivability from a blast underneath. It sucks that we rolled out a new troop transport vehicle only for it to be a liability once it hit the battlefield just a couple years later. And yes it was intended to fight on a conventional battlefield and not in a COIN environment but they should have had a little foresight in the design process to include a V hull at least.

I think V hulls have dimension issues when trying to fit on aircraft transport.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I think V hulls have dimension issues when trying to fit on aircraft transport.

That’s a really good point. I don’t know what the difference in height is from a Stryker to an MRAP such as the MATV but I think the MATV is much taller. So maybe a V shaped hull wouldn’t work in design simply because of how it needs to get to the battlefield. Lucky for me I don’t have to ride in them. I get to tool around in the Panther, which is garbage for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread