Army Boot Question: Nike SFB authorized/unauthorized?

mav_tu

Established Member
I didn't see another post about this when I searched - sorry if this topic has been discussed...

After a lot of debating among coworkers, I've been hearing that the Nike SFB are NOT authorized for wear with ACUs. I've spent the last couple hours scouring the Internet, and reading any reg/ALARACT I can find. I can't seem to locate this alleged "list" of approved boots.

Does anyone know of a list, or some other concrete guidance about the Nike SFB?

Thanks for the input!

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Here's something I found. From what I've read the Nikes aren't real leather. According to 670-1 the boot's must be leather. I spent about 8 months around you Army types and saw plenty of people wearing them. Good luck man.

AR 670-1

◦5E. BOOTS. ARMY COMBAT BOOTS – (HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER), AND OPTIONAL BOOTS.

◦ 5E1. ARMY COMBAT BOOTS – (HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER) MADE OF TAN ROUGH SIDE OUT CATTLEHIDE LEATHER WITH A PLAIN TOE AND TAN RUBBER OUTSOLES. THE BOOTS ARE LACED DIAGONALLY WITH TAN LACES, WITH THE EXCESS LACE TUCKED INTO THE TOP OF THE BOOT UNDER THE BLOUSED TROUSERS, OR WRAPPED AROUND THE TOP OF THE BOOT. METAL CLEATS AND SIDE TABS, AND SEWN-IN OR LACED-IN ZIPPER INSERTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED. A RUBBER OUTSOLE IS THE ONLY OUTSOLE MATERIAL THAT CURRENTLY MEETS THE NEED FOR DURABILITY AND TRACTION ON SURFACES. OTHER MATERIALS (THAT MAY BE OF A LIGHTER WEIGHT) MAY HAVE SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS IN THESE AREAS.

◦ 5E2. OPTIONAL BOOTS - SOLDIERS MAY WEAR COMMERCIAL BOOTS OF A DESIGN SIMILAR TO THAT OF THE ARMY COMBAT BOOT (TAN), 8 TO 10 INCHES IN HEIGHT AS AUTHORIZED BY THE COMMANDER. THE BOOTS MUST BE MADE OF TAN ROUGH SIDE OUT CATTLEHIDE LEATHER, WITH A PLAIN TOE, AND HAVE A TAN, RUBBER OUTSOLE. SOLDIERS MAY WEAR OPTIONAL BOOTS IN LIEU OF THE STANDARD ISSUE ARMY COMBAT BOOTS (TAN) - HOT WEATHER AND TEMPERATE WEATHER; HOWEVER, THEY DO NOT REPLACE ISSUE BOOTS AS A MANDATORY POSSESSION ITEM. OPTIONAL BOOTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WHEN THE COMMANDER ISSUES AND PRESCRIBES STANDARD ORGANIZATIONAL FOOTWEAR FOR SAFETY OR ENVIRONMENTAL REASONS (SUCH AS INSULATED BOOTS OR SAFETY SHOES).

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I've been wearing the Nike SFB's for almost two year now and I'm wearing them here in Afghanistan. They are authorized. Everyone is wearing them, from full bird colonels to drill instructors to Command Sergeant Majors in 3rd ID.

BTW, they are one of the best pairs of boots I have ever worn. And not just for garrison wear either but for the field as well. I've taken mine in nearly every field condition save for snow.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I wear them and haven't had anything said to me. I see others that wear them now and again as well. They are the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn.

TrevorR90

Banned
I think it depends on unit. They were not allowed in my previous unit. 173rd in Italy. Although, just because no one says anything to you doesn't mean they are authorized. I mean, who goes around checking peoples boots to make sure they are within reg?

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I think it depends on unit. They were not allowed in my previous unit. 173rd in Italy. Although, just because no one says anything to you doesn't mean they are authorized. I mean, who goes around checking peoples boots to make sure they are within reg?

True. Was it because the 173rd is an airborne unit? I can't see wearing the nike boots while jumping lol

mav_tu

Established Member
Apparently they check boots here... I'm in an NCOES class and they claim the SFBs are not authorized because they have a multi-sole bottom. All the Drills I know where them, and they usually know the reg. Lots of people here wearing Rocky's and Oakley's, but no Nike.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Haven't seen anything in the regs that says you can't wear them.

I do know that they don't sell them in clothing and sales because they aren't made in America.

They'll be my next boot once my Altama's give out.

Users who are viewing this thread