ARH install question

benzopyrene

Established Member
First have to state the obvious but headers are a b to install in these cars......now that thats out of the way. I am installing some ARH in my car and want to know if you guys are using copper silicon gasket sealant when you install them or are you jjust installing them straight on. Just asking because there is a CJ PP you tube video where they install them with the copper gasket stuff. just thought Id ask before I get goo on there I dont necessarily need. Thanks!

Nuar

Established Member
I bought a brand new set of oem header gaskets amd reused all the original studs and nuts for my installation.
No copper gasket maker.
not a single issue since the instal last year.

benzopyrene

Established Member
decided to reuse the OEM gasket.....now if I could just get the damn headers on the studs. its like they were designed not to fit! any tips? Im pretty fed up for the moment. cant get the damn passenger side header to go on. its pressed up against the side wall and still done fit on the header studs....it should be pointed out there is no tranny in my car right now as Im in the process of doing a tremec install as well, just thought having the tranny out might help with headers, but apparently I am wrong.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
decided to reuse the OEM gasket.....now if I could just get the damn headers on the studs. its like they were designed not to fit! any tips? Im pretty fed up for the moment. cant get the damn passenger side header to go on. its pressed up against the side wall and still done fit on the header studs....it should be pointed out there is no tranny in my car right now as Im in the process of doing a tremec install as well, just thought having the tranny out might help with headers, but apparently I am wrong.

With the motor mpounts off, pry the engine to the left towards the driver side, should fall right in.

Nuar

Established Member
Don't bother tryimg to put the headers over the studs. Figure out which studs are causing the header to not go on, then pull that stud out. Once you have the header over the remaining studs and in position put the studs you removed back in and you can put the nuts on the studs.
I tried to slip it on the studs for a few hours, it juat would not work. I had friends try to move the motor over, nothing worked. Once i pulled the studs out, it was on and tightened in 30 mins.

Nuar

Established Member
The tip of the stud is a torx, you will need a reverse torx wrench or socket, preferably a ratchetting revers torx. Thats what my buddy had and thats what i used, worked like a charm.

i do advise you to grab new oem header gaskets, imagine if you end up having leaks and need to tackle this job again? That would suck a little bit lol.

once you pull those studs, you will see how quickly the rest of the job goes :) just be very carefull threading them back in so you don't cross thread them!
Good luck man.

Steveespo

Established Member
Nuar has it right on pulling the studs, ARH gives you some bolts to replace the really tough ones. Make sure they are the correct pitch thread, Ford changed the thread pitch somewhere along the line, also put copper anti seize on all the studs and bolts you remove, really helps prevent damaging the aluminum threads in the head. OEM gaskets dry is the way to go, first time replacement if the car is fairly new then reuse, if over 25000 miles then replace with new Ford items.

Lastly drop the K member for install, not hard to do and will save you a lot of time and cursing as you put them in.
Steve

Edit: Didn't notice you had the trans out, makes it hard to hold the engine if you want to remove K member, put the new trans in, then drop the K maybe?
Steve

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
The tip of the stud is a torx, you will need a reverse torx wrench or socket, preferably a ratchetting revers torx
FYI, a 6mm 12pt socket works just as well and is much more readily available

Nuar

Established Member
FYI, a 6mm 12pt socket works just as well and is much more readily available

I knew there was some 12pt socket that fit, but i wasn't sure what size so i didnt want to say it and cause him to strip the tip of the stud on my bad advice. Thank you sir :)

benzopyrene

Established Member
I am so fed up with the passenger side header at this point I almost want to just send them back! Took a couple studs out and was finally able to get the header to seat, but then couldnt get one of the studs back in....it felll, and I have felt up my entire engine bay with absolutely no luck...magnet no luck, compressed air.....yup no luck! So now Im down a stud, have spent about 6 hours on this on header and have accomplished absolutely nothing! Just venting guys. Gonna go ahead and put the new tranny in get that all bolted in and then drop the k member and do the headers.....just dont see any other way besides pulling the whole engine....which I could have done by now!

benzopyrene

Established Member
update. Finally got the new tranny in, and dropped the Kmember.....you guys werent kidding. Lots of room. was able to slip the headers right on with the engine in proper position. Nuts on the american racing headers were still pretty difficult to get to, about 5-6 of them were still very slow to turn, because I could only go a quarter turn at a time with a wrench, but its done now! Now all I need to do is figure out how get this new BMR kmember to line up with all the holes in my car!

Nuar

Established Member
awesome! Take some pics of the setup when the Kmember is in :)
Congrats on getting the headers on!

Users who are viewing this thread