ARH and kooks headers worth it?

Which headers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Who has the best price on them? Americanmuscle.com is the cheapest I've found but says out of stock?

Call then directly, ask for Louie. Was helpful in terms of customer service for me.
They can't really undercut their retailers but you'll know about availability and stuff. o_O

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If you can just wait until the next holiday of any kind and I’m sure there will be 300 sales going on

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
I have no issues with mine. The install is the only "drawback" if you call it that. It's really not all that bad plus you get to peek around at areas of the engine you don't normally see. The 1 3/4" kit fits great. They are worth the $$ even if not on sale. I got lucky and got my set for $1250 from a shop that had them but never installed. Deals are out there. I have plenty of room for the 1 7/8" headers but also have a tubular K member. Plus the sound is perfect.

Fordman1994

Established Member
I emailed american racing headers and asked if they could weld in a o2 bung for a wideband. They suggested I just use the o2 bungs for the downstream o2 sensors. Can hpj performance or stl mustangs even shut the rear o2s off anymore? I thought they're cracking down on shutting off emissions stuff. I dont want to have a check engine light for them.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I emailed american racing headers and asked if they could weld in a o2 bung for a wideband. They suggested I just use the o2 bungs for the downstream o2 sensors. Can hpj performance or stl mustangs even shut the rear o2s off anymore? I thought they're cracking down on shutting off emissions stuff. I dont want to have a check engine light for them.

a shop didnt charge me much to put bungs in the collector.

As for using the downstream (assuming no cats) that might be a question you need to ask em in person the way things are - I wouldnt be surprised if they say no over the phone/to an email. Making your own MIL eliminators by splicing in some resistors would be the other option

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Added them to mine at no charge. Wonder why they don't want to now.

Fordman1994

Established Member
They might still do it. Idk. first email he might of thought I was asking if I could put the bungs in the headers because he said yes you can and said if I'm deleting the downstream o2s that I could put them there. I emailed him again and asked if they could do it for me or if I'd have to take them somewhere. Still waiting for a reply.

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
I just use one of the rears for my wideband. It works fine. When I tune it I put it in the header for best chance of accuracy. Reads exact same in both locations.

Fordman1994

Established Member
I searched on here and found a thread where justin from vmp says it doesnt affect the reading. I just dont know if tuners can still shut off the rear o2 sensors. I would like to use the x pipe.

I just bought a tune at the end of the year from vmp. They wouldnt shut them off. I read that bama isnt doing it anymore. Not sure if someone who dyno tunes at a shop will still do it.

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
You could always buy the SCT Advantage 3 software and tune yourself. With the money you would spend on a tune you could get the software and the LaSota Book and make any and all changes that you want. Plus you spend more time with your car so you can dial in everything. The 04 and earlier vehicles aren't that difficult to tune yourself.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
You could always buy the SCT Advantage 3 software and tune yourself. With the money you would spend on a tune you could get the software and the LaSota Book and make any and all changes that you want. Plus you spend more time with your car so you can dial in everything. The 04 and earlier vehicles aren't that difficult to tune yourself.

This is something I'd really like to do... is it as easy as just buying the LaSota book and the software and then just teaching yourself?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
This is something I'd really like to do... is it as easy as just buying the LaSota book and the software and then just teaching yourself?

Yes and no. His book is great and there couple guys on here in the tuning section that are a wealth of knowledge. On a NA setup it'll probably be not too bad. Once you start getting into e85, bigger MAF and the like there's scaling that has to be done.

I will say they changed some of the things you have access to when Derive got sued by the EPA. Haven't looked into, I went back to pro tuning once my setup went high compression and cams. Got tricky and lost a lot of room for error.

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
I agree with that. But it is not all that bad to figure out. I had to just watch some EPA slideshow that SCT sent me for the EPA compliance. I didn't lose access to any parameters that I could change in Advantage. I would go for it and get the software. With all that said I have a brand new MS3 Plug n Play on the bench going in this spring.

Fordman1994

Established Member
I dont know if I'd want to tune it myself. I read it's a steep learning curve. I looked into a moates quarterhorse. Looked like a lot to figure out.

So ARH told me they dont want to install a bung into the header and it not fit and botch the the header. He said he doesent have a car to look at to see the orientation and location it should be in.

I think im going to try using the downstream o2 bungs and try finding somewhere to shut them off. If that doesn't work can a o2 bung be installed while the headers are in the car?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont know if I'd want to tune it myself. I read it's a steep learning curve. I looked into a moates quarterhorse. Looked like a lot to figure out.

So ARH told me they dont want to install a bung into the header and it not fit and botch the the header. He said he doesent have a car to look at to see the orientation and location it should be in.

I think im going to try using the downstream o2 bungs and try finding somewhere to shut them off. If that doesn't work can a o2 bung be installed while the headers are in the car?

yes, adding the bung while in the car is probably the best solution and I understand their concerns. This way you can be sure theres clearance to get the sensor and harness in and out without hitting anything. Especially since you want them between 12 & 3.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I agree with that. But it is not all that bad to figure out. I had to just watch some EPA slideshow that SCT sent me for the EPA compliance. I didn't lose access to any parameters that I could change in Advantage. I would go for it and get the software. With all that said I have a brand new MS3 Plug n Play on the bench going in this spring.
Don't do any kind of updates for as long as you can. I did the training and had everything for a few months afterwards. I did a big update because I added a car and now I don't have access to most of the system switches. I emailed SCT and was basically told sorry for your luck.

Honestly if I was going to get software now I'd get the stuff from decipha. Live tuning is awesome. As I've learned since switching to the MS3. The main reason I haven't switched my SCT stuff is because I have two cars on one dongle.

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
Don't do any kind of updates for as long as you can. I did the training and had everything for a few months afterwards. I did a big update because I added a car and now I don't have access to most of the system switches. I emailed SCT and was basically told sorry for your luck.

Honestly if I was going to get software now I'd get the stuff from decipha. Live tuning is awesome. As I've learned since switching to the MS3. The main reason I haven't switched my SCT stuff is because I have two cars on one dongle.

Thanks for the heads up bud. I have the MS3 on the bench ready to go in and replace all the SCT/Stock stuff. Just have to find time to set it all up.

Fordman1994

Established Member
What size header should I get? 1 3/4 or 1 7/8? I plan on rebuilding the shortblock and doing a procharger. Should I just get the 1 7/8 now? Is the bigger headers on a n/a setup going to lose power?

Users who are viewing this thread