ARH and kooks headers worth it?

Which headers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fordman1994

Established Member
I'm looking at replacing the exhaust on my 2001 cobra. The headers on it are jdm by kooks. They appear to be pretty old and are leaking at some of the welds. I was looking at kooks or maybe american racing headers. I have the money for them but feel like spending 2k on headers and mid pipe might be a waste. They dont come coated. I could get the bbk ceramic coated headers and mid pipe for half the cost. I put the bbks on my 04 gt. I had no fitment issues. They bolted right up. They've been on the car for 7 years. The only thing I had to do was use a floor jack and spread open their x pipe to fit. I just feel like I could do a lot with the $1k I'd save by getting the bbk combo. Do the kooks and ARH make more power or something? My cobra has a t56. So it doesn't matter what headers are on it I should still be able to remove tranny correct?

wkornf

Established Member
I have pacesetter longtubes. they were$250 and make every bit of horsepower the 2k set does. I'd recommend you spend your money elsewhere. I can swap my transmission with The headers fully installed. t45/ 3650.

full disclosure I had to bash the driver side tube to clearance my steering shaft. simple 5 min job if you planned for it. takes a bit more work with them installed.

also, there is no easy way to remove or install the longtubes unless you drop the subframe.

for $250 part this trouble might be worth it. for 2k Its insane and I would Rather get cams or a turbo

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Fordman1994

Established Member
The bbks are 599 and come ceramic coated. They've lasted a long time on my gt. They already had one of the runners flattened out allowing clearance for the steering shaft. I didnt have any issues installing the headers on my 2v. I've heard of fitment issues with kooks. Not sure if that's with the 99-04 4v or the 2011 and up coyote cars. For $1300 I'd hope they'd bolt right in.

wkornf

Established Member
just to be clear Longtubes don't just bolt up on 4v , you must drop the subframe.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Fordman1994

Established Member
I know I've installed them before. I didnt have to beat on them to get them to fit though. The bbks bolted up and didnt rub on anything.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FYI, you might be able to get the trans out, but the bellhousing might be another story. I had Bassani mids on my 01 and was able to slide the trans out, but I had to slide off one of the connectors to get the bellhousing out.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Pacesetter mild steel is $250. You can get the Armorcoat ones for $450 which is supposedly Jet Hot. The price for the Kooks/ARH/SW ones is ****ing crazy.

wowsers

Established Member
FWIW I didn't have to clearance anything when I installed the arh headers. I think I got the arh headers and Bassani exhaust for ~2100.00. Maybe they're over priced but id rather have stainless headers that last.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Depends where you live... in an area with little or no rain or road grime mild steel can last a long time especially if you buy coated ones.

Fordman1994

Established Member
I dont daily my mustang. Usually doesn't get driven in the rain and I dont drive it in the winter. Probably why my bbk headers lasted so long. The hardest thing on them is when I run the ac. The condensation runs down the passenger side header.

Would I need to get the kooks and ARH coated or would they be fine the way they are?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I didnt have my cooks coated living here in fl as a weekend cruiser.

Kooks ground clearance is shit, wouldnt buy them again.

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
The MAC Longtubes are nice too. Easiest to install. Ceramic Coated and affordable. That being said... I switched to American Racing Headers on my Cobra and they are great. I also have a T-56 also trans removal is no issue. I just put the 1 3/4" primary header on it my car. Great quality. They still look good even though have 10K plus miles on them and they aren't coated. I would go for the ARH if you have the dough. No experience with Kooks but great reviews on them.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The MAC Longtubes are nice too. Easiest to install. Ceramic Coated and affordable. That being said... I switched to American Racing Headers on my Cobra and they are great. I also have a T-56 also trans removal is no issue. I just put the 1 3/4" primary header on it my car. Great quality. They still look good even though have 10K plus miles on them and they aren't coated. I would go for the ARH if you have the dough. No experience with Kooks but great reviews on them.

ive heard good things on the Mac as well but the 3650 means taking the pass side loose when it needs to come out as far as i know

Fordman1994

Established Member
Isnt the american racing headers mid pipe a 3x3? Is there any three inch catback? I was going to get the slp lm1. Its 2.5in. Did you just get reducers to connect your midpipe to your catback? I definitely think I'd do the ARH over kooks. Seems like they fit better. They're a little cheaper and completely american made.

Fordman1994

Established Member
I want to eventually get a procharger after I build the shortblock. So a 3in exhaust would be good but would that be too much exhaust for a n/a car?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I want to eventually get a procharger after I build the shortblock. So a 3in exhaust would be good but would that be too much exhaust for a n/a car?

no need for 3" either way. I have 1 5/8" headers into a 2.5" system making over 700 and was told the gain would be minimal vs all the fitment issues

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
Isnt the american racing headers mid pipe a 3x3? Is there any three inch catback? I was going to get the slp lm1. Its 2.5in. Did you just get reducers to connect your midpipe to your catback? I definitely think I'd do the ARH over kooks. Seems like they fit better. They're a little cheaper and completely american made.

The ARH x pipe is 3 inch and it necks down to 2.5 inch for your catback. I have the 1 3/4' headers and 3 in x pipe with a 2.5" Bassani catback

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Any fitment issues with the 1 3/4? I think I'm going to do the American Racing headers.

I have an 03 engine but pretty impressed with the ARH. They're local to me so I picked them up and got a tour of the shop. Impressive place.

Only compliant was the collectors and/or mid pipe was egged a little. Had to get a tailpipe expander and c-clamp and round then out. Also they gave me a delivery date and would have missed it but once they realized got them done that day.

I have 1 7/8" and was a bitch to get to some of the bolts, even with the engine out of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread