Arecibo (radio telescope) is lost

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Who cares it was a national site for tourism for PR and its ****ing destroyed smh. That place was on my Bucket list. I doubt it will ever be repaired. PR is a poor ass place. Doesn't appear that the Government has any plans to fix it.

Hopefully some billionaire investor who wants to see ET will donate some money to repair it.

The loss of this facility is not that big a deal. It had many drawbacks, least of all it could only look where Earth was facing, it could not be steered. There's a new thing now, in radio astronomy called "Very Long Baseline Interferometry," which adds signals from telescopes all across the planet, allowing a virtual dish size equal to the diameter of the entire planet. That is just getting into the mainstream, and it's going to be huge.

Arrecibo was an important tool of its day, but time and ingenuity have passed it up, about 15 years ago.

Motion to ban

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
The loss of this facility is not that big a deal. It had many drawbacks, least of all it could only look where Earth was facing, it could not be steered. There's a new thing now, in radio astronomy called "Very Long Baseline Interferometry," which adds signals from telescopes all across the planet, allowing a virtual dish size equal to the diameter of the entire planet. That is just getting into the mainstream, and it's going to be huge.

Arrecibo was an important tool of its day, but time and ingenuity have passed it up, about 15 years ago.
You're right James, it wasn't cutting edge or very relevant as most of the groundbreaking things that only she could be used for were already done by now, but she was still a classic, and she taught us so much in those 57 years ( I'm a sentimental fool, wish I could have seen it). I do not think we have anything on the planet that is able to send as strong of an active radar signal as Arecibo, IIRC it was near 1mw, and the next best site would probably be Goldstone which I think is only 500 kw, and has 1/10th the receiving area so ~1/20th as powerful before you figure the square inverse law (to the power of 4 for sending and receiving radio signals). She may not have been the most important tool in the toolbox now, but she still had some niches where she shined.

As for VLBII remember them making more a fuss about a younger lady that worked on some of the software algorithm for VLBI when they captured an image of a supermassive black hole in another galaxy using the process than the image itself. Then that was followed by some controversy saying that her part was much less than what was advertised, but as I tried to pay more attention to the science than the politics, the reporters were more interested in the drama. The idea of using many receivers across the surface of the planet giving you pieces a single larger picture seems like a great idea, as you said you essentially get a planet sized aperture. As more sites come online and distributed computing gets more powerful and efficient I expect it to become a very popular tool.

Some new info from today is interesting is there was an earthquake in the Dominican republic that correlated with the time of the collapse.
upload_2020-12-2_11-21-44.png

Here's some drone footage of what's left.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Like how more than half the posts are James Bond themed in some way.

That's a damn shame about the destruction of arecibo. It was deep on my bucket list to see one day.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with ban.

perfect dark was GARBAGE

that’s like saying diddy Kong racing was better than Mario kart

N64 Mario Kart is actually less entertaining than Diddy Kong Racing.

This shit is about to go down.

Perfect dark is 10x the game, especially multiplayer, than Golden Eye was. As nostalgic, no. But certainly better.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Many people are saying they took it down to cover up the fact it had contact with extraterrestrials. These extraterrestrials knew the truth about the voter fraud. Dish had to go, all a big cover up set in motion by the Clinton Foundation.

Don't trust the MSM...

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member

Perfect dark is 10x the game, especially multiplayer, than Golden Eye was. As nostalgic, no. But certainly better.

my god bro!!

now you’re probably gonna say that majoras mask was better than ocarina of time!!

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
my bad my bad

That was a low blow, you are probably more likely to think donkey Kong 64 is better than super Mario 64

lol
Isn’t it?

I didn’t play much Super Mario 64, certainly never close to beating it.

Played a bunch of DK64.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
People think Golden Eye is better than Perfect Dark? They're almost the same game but Perfect Dark had more content, including a ton of content from Golden Eye. Perfect Dark was better. I wish I could go back and see how much time we logged on both games.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
People think Golden Eye is better than Perfect Dark? They're almost the same game but Perfect Dark had more content, including a ton of content from Golden Eye. Perfect Dark was better. I wish I could go back and see how much time we logged on both games.

okay super Mario bros 2 that’s enough

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

Gtfo solstice driver!

Permaban!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread