Are there differences in 87-93 GT's

1PT21GW

Established Member
Hey All !

I am looking to get another Mustang, probably a GT between 87 and 93. I am not up on my Mustangs as much anymore, but I seem to recall a difference between them. I think it was in the motor or computer area.

Anyone who is up on their mustang trivia have an idea what it might be? Any suggestion or piece of advice of what to look out for or stay away from?

-Fyi, I am trying to find one as close to stock as possible.

THanks,
Jason

SL 1993 R

Established Member
The exterior body is basically the same for those years. The 1987 5.0 came with a speed density system and was switched in either 88 or 89, depending on whether it was a 49 state car or a Calif. emissioned car. The new system was the mass air flow,(MAF) which is needed when you start seriously modifying the car.(blowers, cams, heads and such). The headrest on the seats changed about 89 to a smaller one, the early ones are huge. The 93's got hypernuetic, ( damn, there's no spell check) pistons, which are suppose to be weaker than the 87-92 pistons... The early GT's with the turbine wheels can be a real pain to keep clean with all the small knock's and crannies. The 5 star wheels tend to be easier to keep clean..

I'm sure I've forgotten some other stuff, but that's what I remember off the top of my head right now..

chrisilversvt

Established Member
yes i'd reccomend 91-93..because of the mass air and better rims..those seat headrests on my old 88 gt were dinosaurs i couldn't see out the back side windows the ones on my 93 were much better..you may notice that the hp rating went down towards the 93 model,but they were really about the same,ford just changed their hp rating techniques....you cant really go wrong w/ a 87-93 stang if u can find a nice one..they are some of the quickest,most fun,and easy to modify cars...

Users who are viewing this thread