Are there any other watch enthusiasts here? Some of my Watch Collection.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Breitling Avenger II. Black dial, but looks blue in certain light. I still think Breitling has the best AR coatings in the business.
BreitAVNGII.jpeg

Hamilton Navy Sub. I actually liked this one more on the orange silicone strap than the bracelet which I also had as well.
HamKakNavY.jpeg

OmegaSMAT.jpeg

I really loved this watch. I did part with it not long ago since the silver sunburst dial plus silver hands, along with high polished silver indices made it difficult quite a bit to tell what time is was.
SeikoPaDiJDM.jpeg

Seiko PADI Prospex JDM Model. I really like the dial on this one.
SuperOceanOK.jpeg

Breitling SuperOcean OuterKnown. Green Dial on NATO, but had the Brightling bracelet & aftermarket mesh bracelet too. Rated to 3300 ft.
TAGcal16.jpeg

Tag Heuer Calibre 16 Chronograph. Rated to 300M/1000ft.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
My vintage Rolex DJ next to my Sparco steering wheel and Momo hub. Still having issues with my Terminator X, so once all that is taken care of, all my new suspension pieces plus other random items I bought can be installed.

Sparco:Rolex.jpeg

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
My vintage Rolex DJ next to my Sparco steering wheel and Momo hub. Still having issues with my Terminator X, so once all that is taken care of, all my new suspension pieces plus other random items I bought can be installed.

View attachment 1792899
Does your Rolex run fast? I have a stainless Datejust that I bought new in 1991 that looks a lot like yours, and I stopped wearing it in 2017, after the second of two Rolex overhauls, because it dawned on me that it simply wasn't accurate enough. I'd picked up a $400 Citizen NIST watch to wear while I waited for the overhaul, and when I got the Rolex back, it was a shocking disappointment. With the Citizen, I was always exactly on time. The Rolex just wasn't as accurate.

Now, over the years, three separate Rolex techs have told me that they calibrate them to gain about 3 seconds a day, so that "a Rolex owner never turns up late". Great. When minutes actually matter, sitting waiting when my watch is off by a minute is just not on.

So, these days, I switch between three watches depending on what I'm doing. I have the titanium case Citizen NIST time signal watch, a titanium case Citizen GPS watch, and a new titanium case Apple Ultra watch. I know going into a meeting that I'm absolutely on-time, within a quarter second, always. It's amazing how much time it frees up when you know exactly what time it is.

When I want to keep the older, mechanical watches working, I wear either the Rolex or a 1967 Tissot with an Omega stainless band that I wore for years before I got the Rolex.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
To answer your question, no, my Rolex doesn't now run fast, and runs within appropriate specs. To be completely honest, i'm not that familiar with deviation and requirements Rolex adhered to in the late 80s/early 90s.

I know all newer Rolex movements are COSC certified. To achieve COSC certification, and this is for any watch to be able to receive this certificate from the independent Swiss company, a watch must be able to achieve -4/+6 second deviation per day. This is tested in 5 different positions. For example, one position could be with the crown pulled out completely if the watch doesn't have a hacking feature, another position the watch may be tested in is with the watch completely submerged in water, and other tests as well. These tests are run for around 6-8 days non-stop to make sure the results stay the same and don't change.

If you are having issues with the watch running too fast, there is an easier and way cheaper solution. Simply remove the caseback, locate the regulator, it will be small, but you don't have to remove any other parts to get to the regulator. It will be a small circular piece with a flathead screw, next to the screw it will show a +/- sign with an arrow to turn either way. The + symbol will increase the rate at which the second hand moves, and the - symbol does the opposite. Most watch enthusiasts own a Weishi Timegrapher, there are other brands and models, but the Weishi is the standard every watch enthusiast owns.

First you want to place the watch on the timegrapher, get a baseline reading of the rate, amplitude, beat error, and parameter which is what you enter since you need to know how many VpH the watch runs at. Most 4 HZ, higher end watches run at 28,800, Omega's Co-Axial runs at 25, 200 VpH w/ a 3.5 HZ beat rate. You'll find lower end automatic watches run at 21,600 VpH. A lower VpH increases the the power reserve, but lowers how smooth the second hand moves.

Anyways, if the watch is running too fast, turn the regulator down, just a little bit. Then run the watch on the timegrapher to check the beat error, consistently keep checking it until the rate stays the same each time you test it and you want the watch to stay within the deviation settings. COSC is a superior testing method very expensive companies send their watches to so they can receive the certificate, Omega uses METAS, which tests the watch is 6 different positions. Personally I don't think it makes some monumental difference between the two. Omega just uses them and they may be slightly superior, but it's more to brag IMO.

+3 seconds is perfectly normal though for your watch.

-Ray

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I've watched technicians use those machines a number of times. When I bought the Tissot, the jeweler set it up on one while I watched. Later, he cleaned and serviced it for me and I got to watch again as he adjusted it when I picked it up. I've seen the Rolex get adjusted a couple of times at Rolex service facilities in London (UK) and Toronto.

I set my Datejust three days ago and wore it over the weekend. It gained 9 seconds in 3 days, so it's exactly where it was set during the last overhaul in 2017. And, don't get me wrong, the Rolex is a wonderful piece of machinery and I love it. But, these days I find myself on Teams and Zoom a lot, and their heartbeat is NIST time. It's really handy that all three of my newer titanium watches are on NIST time too.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
It can be quite daunting at first, especially for someone who is not familiar or well-versed in mechanical/self-winding movements, but, like most people here who are car enthusiasts that understand the basics of how an engine works and what modifications do what, it's pretty much the same concept with mechanical/self-winding watches. I think this may be a reason why many car enthusiasts are also into watches as well.

With your DJ gaining 9 seconds in 3 days, that is definitely not normal or acceptable. For an older Rolex, I would use a reputable local watchmaker to do the work instead of sending it out to an RSC (Rolex Service Center) to save you a lot more money. They used to charge $500m but now they charge $1000, and that's not including the price of anything the watch might need. For example, maybe the watch needs a new escapement wheel or mainspring.

It seems like what you need is a GMT. Depending on the GMT, you can track 3 different time zones at once. Watches like my Monta Skyquest

Nothing wrong with vintage pieces. I love me some vintage watches. I have a 1952, 1956 (fully automatic), 1964, 1966 Sea King, 1967, and 1968 (Ambassador) Bulovas, that are manual wind except the one mentioned. I also have a 1960 Omega Seamaster I completely refurbished and it is also an automatic with a NOS bracelet correct to the watch. I would love to pick up a vintage 1930/1940s Rolex/Tudor.

I would adjust your watch for you, but I don't have the rubber ball needed to remove a Rolex and many Tudor casebacks. I only have the pronged tool with the various removable screw-in pieces with circular, square, pointed, etc. pieces.

Best of luck to you!

-Ray

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
thankfully I'm not too far down this rabbit hole. I have a citizen eco-drive I usually wear, the apple watch is more of a fitness tracker, then I bought a tag heuer carrera chronograph. Definitely not the best choice for resale but that was the one that called to me.

I could see ending up with an omega speedmaster moonwatch or something along those line

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
i feel like this could be a cool hobby but im 100% ignorant on what makes a watch interesting/collectible. I just dont get it, i see watches that look uber expensive that only cost like 60bucks then i see ones that look cheap that cost more than my truck. :eek:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i feel like this could be a cool hobby but im 100% ignorant on what makes a watch interesting/collectible. I just dont get it, i see watches that look uber expensive that only cost like 60bucks then i see ones that look cheap that cost more than my truck. :eek:

I have to agree with this to some degree. it was years ago but I bought some Fossil at the outlet store and had 2 different people temporarily freak out thinking it was some expensive ass watch. You can definitely see/feel the difference in higher end watches when handling them in person.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Despite what some "watch snobs" say, I just enjoy people enjoying their watches. If someone is enjoying their cheapo timex or their expensive (to me) time piece by a clothing designer brand, I am happy for them.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
OP: You have a great collection. Congratulations!!
Thank you. I have to admit it is constantly changing every single month. There literally isn't a month where I don't trade a watch and pick up a different one. I just traded my Monta Skyquest Pepsi Bezel today for a Ball Roadmaster Marine GMT. They are limited to 1000 pieces per dial/bezel color. It uses a Titanium case, Ti bracelet, ceramic bezel, 28 Tritium gas tubes, Super LumiNova on the bezel, COSC certified, and the pushers are used to +/- the GMT hand. Something i've never seen before in any watch.

Ball-1.jpeg

Ball-2.jpeg

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Despite what some "watch snobs" say, I just enjoy people enjoying their watches. If someone is enjoying their cheapo timex or their expensive (to me) time piece by a clothing designer brand, I am happy for them.

I'm not a watch snob at all. Right now i'm actually wearing a $180 Seiko. I've been meaning to pick up a Timex Waterbury Collection. You'll realize, the majority of members on the WUS forums are just lovers of horology. No one sneers at someone with a $100 watch.

I will say I am an automatic snob. No quartz for me ever. Even a decent $400-$500 watch is an automatic. Quartz is a no-go, the only quartz I like is Bulova's .262 kHz like in their Precisionist and Lunar Pilots and some MecaQuartz. Funny, i'm a manual car snob, and i'm an automatic watch snob.

It's odd that some people here don't get the difference between this watch and that watch, which I understand is a hobby with many intricacies. To me, it's just like cars in it's own way. Most people think we're nuts for the money we spend on all kinds all car parts and probably don't see the point of buying some part over what comes on the car from the factory. Of course we all know what parts need changing and what parts we should modiify.

The thing I find great is I have 70+ year old watches that are obviously hand-wound, and all of them work and I don't know the service history of any of them. I wore my 1952 Bulova the other day and wound it and it runs perfectly. I was only gaining +2 seconds on the day.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I love Rolex/Tudor, Omega, JLC, IWC, Breitling, etc., but like I said, i'm just a watch enthusiast of all kinds of watches. The silver Seiko is a watch I don't wear too much, but the green one I actually wear quite a bit since it's the watch I wear when I work on my car. That one only cost me $89 shipped. Despite not being sapphire crystal and hardlex, it only has one mild scratch on the crystal and i've slammed it a lot while underneath my car trying to extend my arm to reach a bolt. You guys know what I mean, that pesky bolt you can never see, but can feel and have to push your arm into the area to take it off.

Seiko-1.jpeg

bullitt2735

Established Member
My tag Carrera which my wife bought me as an engagement present a few years back which I love. ( my first "real" watch) And than I bought my new omega on my honeymoon right before the F1 race in monaco this last year, an experience I will never forget. I'm not sure what is next as I've been eyeing a certain speedmaster but I also reallllly want a A. Lange & Söhne or a Patek. A cool note about the Omega is that it actually came with a stainless pinbuckle but a local dealer was able to find that Omega did produce a gold pin buckle for a limited edition bond watch so I ordered that after the trip, I feel it completes the look with gold "sandwiching" the watch with the pinbuckle and the bezel being gold.

Attachments

• IMG-5113.jpg
    IMG-5113.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-5117.jpg
    IMG-5117.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-5116.jpg
    IMG-5116.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 63
  • las rascasse.jpg
    las rascasse.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 66
  • monaco yacht party.jpg
    monaco yacht party.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 61

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
This thread wasn't supposed to be car themed watches, it was just for car enthusiasts who are also watch enthusiasts or maybe have an affinity or have a couple nice watches since I noticed the trend of many car guys that are also into watches as well. Not $50 watches, I was more-so referring to $1k, $2k, $3k+ watches. Although there are car/car company themed watches, there aren't many. Although Heuer lost it's level of quality after Tag acquired them in 1985, they are starting to get back to their routes and making more quality watches that harp back to the Heuer days. I don't know how many people know this, but in the early 60s the Heuer Autavia was released originally as a timer on cars and airplanes, hence the name Autavia. The combined names mean.. Automotive & Aeromotive, which equals Autavia. If anyone has seen the new 60th anniversary Tag Heuer Carrera commercial, it feature Ryan Gosling driving a Porsche Carrera.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread