Are there any jag officers on here

tistan

Established Member
If anyone on here is jag, I could really use some guidance. My wife is military and I am not, so I don't know a lot about military justice or how it works or who to even contact.

twistid

Established Member
Google your base and "family readiness center" or whatever it's called for your particular branch. They will help you get in contact with whoever you need.

tistan

Established Member
I googled it and the matters that it said jag handles did not cover what I need to know. I don't even know if jag is what I need or a personal private attorney.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
You might need to post a few details so people can send you down the right path.

tistan

Established Member
Lets just say she defrauded the military out of a chunk of money and I am on the account that she used. I am wondering if I could be in trouble too even though I have nothing to do with the military or what she did.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Ouch, that sucks man.
Hopefully one of the E7/8/9's show up and can give you some good advice.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If anyone on here is jag, I could really use some guidance. My wife is military and I am not, so I don't know a lot about military justice or how it works or who to even contact.

Military Justice starts with the Unit CDR. Must be an officer to muster UCMJ. I'd advise you contact her chain of command (first line supervisor for advice). Expect him to inform his subordinate, there is no confidentiality requirement for those folks.

CID will investigate real crimes, they do not handle many family matters like adultery unless serious criminal activity is done on a military installation or can affect the military in a yuk PR situation, prostitution ring or dope dealing.

Civilian police investigate criminal activity off post as well a child protection agencies.

if she is missing the First Sergeant should know the Personnel Status (PerStat)of the entire unit.

Unit First Sergeant monitors Charge Card activity with the S-1/N-1 travel section.

Document proof is golden. Facts is what they will base a decision on.

How long ago was this and how long did you know it? have an answer for that if there were delays. Are you getting back at her for something else, do not hide that if you are.

Contact her First Sergeant fist and let him/her know you did not inform her first line supervisor. This just keeps top from jumping on or embarrassing her immediate boos.

Last edited by a moderator:

tistan

Established Member
She is and officer and yes I am getting back at her for something. I have known since February. I have the documents to prove what she did.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
She is and officer and yes I am getting back at her for something. I have known since February. I have the documents to prove what she did.

I would still go for first sergeant, he may hate officers. LOL!

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Sounds like fraud, waste, and abuse which is investigated by the inspector general's office. You should be able to find a number on her installations website somewhere.

saleensc281

Established Member
I would recommend talking to your wifes chain of command ie company commander/1SG, battalion commander/CSM about it first. If they fail to address the issue then you could talk to an Inspector General (IG) about the issue as well; who could then recommend a course of action and assist you getting your issue resolved. Keep in mind you are considered third party, so you would not know the outcome of any investigation/inquiry that may be initiated.

Ensure you have documented proof of your allegation, the Army will not look into it unless there is a preponderance of credible evidence.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Ok here is the REAL advice... Don't call her chain of command and waste their time. Find out where your post jag office is and talk to them. They will help you out. Jag will provide services to you at no cost since you are a dependent. The end.... Iv been dealing with a soldiers spouse about some stuff and jag has helped her the whole time. This isn't uncommon.

Last edited:

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Lol, funny how the perspective is so different. Honestly though, I see where you guy are coming from.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
+1 on contacting the post JAG. My neighbor is a USA Col jag lawyer. He always tells me if he needs something quick, get in contact with JAG. Sometimes the COC will try to brush things under the mat or get their stories straight to cover their subordinates

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
+1 on contacting the post JAG. My neighbor is a USA Col jag lawyer. He always tells me if he needs something quick, get in contact with JAG. Sometimes the COC will try to brush things under the mat or get their stories straight to cover their subordinates

This.

Also, I don't think you're subject to the UCMJ as a dependent. I've never seen a dependent CM'd or NJP'd.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Alright so I spoke with my boss about this to get his take (all my bosses are retired field grades or stars). You basically have two options.

First as the SGM said you can go to her Company First Sergeant. He will take it to the CSM who will likely take it to the BCO and get the ball rolling that way. This option runs the risk of it getting swept under the rug if she is well liked in her unit.

You can go to base legal where they will intiate their own investigation. At this point they will either advise you to get civilian counsel (which you should already have if you are getting divorced) or they will tell you that no further action is required on your part as it is a military matter. This option will not get swept under the rug.

Either way his advice was to at least speak to cilivian counsel. As you are not subject to the UCMJ, the fact that you have knowledge of her fraud and are on a joint account does open you to legal action from the military. So cover your ass.

A little more info about your situation would be helpful. In my unit almost everything was just handed off to jag unless it was something a Page 11 would take care of.

Users who are viewing this thread