Are skinnies worth it?

Unrealford

Established Member
I am running RaceStar drag wheels in back and have been wondering about getting the matching 17x4.5 skinnies up front.
Is it worth the $$$ ,will I really see any difference in my track times?

Each wheel is $300,00 and the $150.00 for tire,that's about $1,000 I'm thinking I could spend $1,000 somewhere else to get a bigger gain in track times.

86merc

Established Member
Here is a link that has a nice read on the difference on a full size wheel versus a skinny set up.

And remember a bias ply tire is lighter than a radial tire. You can save even more weight there as well.

Unrealford

Established Member
Ok, according to article,. 2 tenths for $1,000.00 hmmm.
Wanna play gotta pay... Wonder what else for $1,000.00 will get me the same result or better, maybe exhaust..

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
The cost to reward ratio is something to consider for sure.

Most guys seem to report they did not gain much in ET from the driveshaft either. Usually around a tenth. That is another hard one to swallow. I do not have one yet for that exact reason. I went with the wheels over the driveshaft.

I am going with suspension and weight mods. Make what I have work more efficiently. Remember most of your ET comes in the first 330', or so, of the track. Improve your launch and the ET comes down. Driveshaft and rotors save rotating mass. But are expensive. A light weight rad support saves less weight but costs a whole lot less. Two or three cheaper light weight mods may save more weight and cost less. It is all part of the performance game. Multiple ways to get to the same result. Just have to come up with a game plan and get out testing.

If you can borrow a skinny set up and test yourself that would be helpful. But that is a lot to ask sometimes.

What mods do you have? Sway bar delete? If not do you remove the sway bar links when you go to the track? Maybe Qwiklinks would help with traction. Control arms and things like that done already?

Last edited:

Unrealford

Established Member
8p
The cost to reward ratio is something to consider for sure.

Most guys seem to report they did not gain much in ET from the driveshaft either. Usually around a tenth. That is another hard one to swallow. I do not have one yet for that exact reason. I went with the wheels over the driveshaft.

I am going with suspension and weight mods. Make what I have work more efficiently. Remember most of your ET comes in the first 330', or so, of the track. Improve your launch and the ET comes down. Driveshaft and rotors save rotating mass. But are expensive. A light weight rad support saves less weight but costs a whole lot less. Two or three cheaper light weight mods may save more weight and cost less. It is all part of the performance game. Multiple ways to get to the same result. Just have to come up with a game plan and get out testing.

If you can borrow a skinny set up and test yourself that would be helpful. But that is a lot to ask sometimes.

What mods do you have? Sway bar delete? If not do you remove the sway bar links when you go to the track? Maybe Qwiklinks would help with traction. Control arms and things like that done already?

Great post thanks. Only mods I have are UCA, rear wheels and MTdrag radials.
Last time out I tried a Steeda CAI/tune and something was wrong. It just bogged for about 7 straight seconds on every launch.

Last edited:

jetmech

Established Member
Less rotating mass and less road friction also makes a difference. Also the further foward you remove weight on the car the more signifigant it becomes for weight tranfer.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
In my old fox body (stock other than 4.10s and exhaust) I went from 13.90s to 13.60s adding nothing but 15x3.5 weld draglites on the front and removing my 17x9 Cobra R's. My old 2000 Z28 (bone stock, filter and all) went 13.59 on stock 17" wheels, and 13.28 on prostars all around. 60'd the same, just ET'd better.

Last edited:

Unrealford

Established Member
Only money huh? Tell that to my wife. :D

Still debating wether to invest in these, I probably should get a 1 piece driveshaft for insurance.

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
i picked up my Weld RTS setup second hand with tires for 1500. 13 m6 with h pipe n tune, went from [email protected] on drag radials on 18s to [email protected] with the welds. 60' went from 1.77 to 1.69. Also the DA was 1800 on the 12.06 run and 2300 on 11.87 run. They also look mean, just plain mean. Totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread