Are S197's collectible?

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
Stupid question but in an effort to avoid e-check with my O/R X I looked into getting collector plates. In the state of Ohio, my vehicle doesn't qualify according to their literature because those are for 1930-1990.

Although, there are exceptions. If you can obtain documentation from the manufacturer that your car is a limited production or demand by collectors then they will issue plates.

Is there ANY way that Ford would consider my car collectible? FWIW, it's a 5 speed Mineral Grey 05 with red interior and Shaker 1,000.

Keep the flames out, please.

Last edited:

4valvemach

Established Member
Your car is 1 of 397 mineral gray/red interior s197

Now had you gone with a
5spd
satin silver vert
with a medium parchment top and interior

Then you would have a 1 of 4 cars made

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
we actually did that with a friends 2004 gt, we called columbus and they told us to shove it, did not qualify. So I had a contact at Ford corporate (since retired) and he supplied some broken down production numbers on Ford letterhead which he faxed to the DMV. Worked like a charm.

I think otherwise you have to provide X amount of dollars in receipts to qualify for collector status.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Stupid question but in an effort to avoid e-check with my O/R X I looked into getting collector plates. In the state of Ohio, my vehicle doesn't qualify according to their literature because those are for 1930-1990.

Although, there are exceptions. If you can obtain documentation from the manufacturer that your car is a limited production or demand by collectors then they will issue plates.

Is there ANY way that Ford would consider my car collectible? FWIW, it's a 5 speed Mineral Grey 05 with red interior and Shaker 1,000.

Keep the flames out, please.

No they are not collectible. They MIGHT be 25 years from now but at the moment they are not and will not be. way too many of them made.

Your car is 1 of 397 mineral gray/red interior s197
Now had you gone with a
5spd
satin silver vert
with a medium parchment top and interior
Then you would have a 1 of 4 cars made

This so called "rarity" is made up and imaginary.

we actually did that with a friends 2004 gt, we called columbus and they told us to shove it, did not qualify. So I had a contact at Ford corporate (since retired) and he supplied some broken down production numbers on Ford letterhead which he faxed to the DMV. Worked like a charm.

I think otherwise you have to provide X amount of dollars in receipts to qualify for collector status.
IF this is true you have a bunch of real dumbasses working in ohio DMV. absolutely the dumbest approval probably on record anywhere. there is nothing limited about Mustang production at all when it comes to GTs and v6s for the sn197s there was nothing limited about their production whatsoever. way to many of them made for it to be collectible anytime soon.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
My wife a satin silver/ parchment top and interior 2006gt vert premium package. My question is how many in that color combo were made in 2006.

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
How about mine?

1 of 11 Black/Black Stage 1 Autos built in 2006.

Not that I will ever keep it that long to worry about it.

SpectorV

Established Member
if it has to be a limited production run then it will not qualify as limited means a set number before production is started then that many are built and nothing else.

2006YellowGT

Established Member
I do not believe any s197's are going to be collectors items. there are to many special edtions. Even the GT 500's are not going to be collectors items. Ford said they were only going to make so many in 2007 but so many people wanted them, Ford decided to make more of them.

Users who are viewing this thread