Are Ranger Torsen differentials good for performance applications?

Jroc

Established Member
How do they compare to Boss 302, 13/14 GT500, and Ford Racing Torsen diff's? Aren't they pretty much the same thing? What type of HP are they good for?

How do the Torsens compare to the better(03/04 Cobra, GT500) 8.8" Trac-Locs which are pretty good in their own right IMO?

I'm trying to decide which is the better route to go on my TermiFox build. Rob the Trac-Loc out of my wrecked Cobra or buy a cheap Torsen out of a old Ranger. Both are 31 spline units. Rangers that used a Trac-Loc had 28 spline setups instead of 31 spline setup that the optional Trac-Loc Rangers had.

Jroc

Established Member
http://www.torsen.com/general/general_faq.htm#Which Torsen is in the Ranger FX4 - Level 2

The Ranger Level 2 uses a T-2 differential just like they put in a Track Pack Mustang or BOSS 302 or GT500. I would assume they are the same unit, but there might be differences.

Okay thanks.

How do you like how your Torsen equipped GT compares to the Trac-Loc equipped cars? Is it noticeably improved in all around performance?

Obviously the new Mustangs are just much improved upon than the older platform cars, but you can still get them with Trac-Loc. I've never driven a Torsen car other than Fbodies to my knowledge.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
FX4 Level II Rangers are pretty rare. I'd be surprised to see many Torsens from them floating around. I had a 2002 one before they started calling them "Level II".

Jroc

Established Member
FX4 Level II Rangers are pretty rare. I'd be surprised to see many Torsens from them floating around. I had a 2002 one before they started calling them "Level II".

Yes but are they as good as the newer Mustang ones to use in a Foxbody?

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Okay thanks.

How do you like how your Torsen equipped GT compares to the Trac-Loc equipped cars? Is it noticeably improved in all around performance?

Obviously the new Mustangs are just much improved upon than the older platform cars, but you can still get them with Trac-Loc. I've never driven a Torsen car other than Fbodies to my knowledge.

I like it, but then again, I have zero interest in drag racing my car. The car feels stable in corners and you can feel it hook more abruptly than with a clutch type.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
IIRC, the bias ratio of the Torsen out of the Ranger is much lower 2:1 than the T2-R out of the newer mustangs. Still does the same job and is just as prone to destroying itself on drag strip use. The initial units had case flexing and caused the worm gears to chew themselves apart. I believe Torsen fixed it by redesigning the case and a few internal parts.

Also, the FXII Ranger package wasnt that rare, plenty of them still around and quite a few in the junkyards here locally.

Users who are viewing this thread