Are our cars a coupe or really a fastback

FIREBALL

Established Member
Just thought this could be an interesting and debatable topic. To me my car is more a fastback than a coupe. It has the short trunk lid like the other fastbacks and the back is almost sloped as much as the other fastbacks. The side window is almost like the other fastbacks, if the window frame had been extended just a little further (which I think it could have been) it would look just like all the other fastbacks. I guess it could be a tweener but for me its a fast back.

Yes i know in the end it really doesnt matter but it is still interestingly debatable

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i don't think a debate can be had. it's considered a coupe due to the fixed "b" pillar.

FIREBALL

Established Member
The b pillar in itself doesnt define a car being a coupe or a fastback. Its the slopping roof, smaller trunk lid and something I didnt mention before is our fold down rear seat like other fast backs. There are coupes without b pillars. If you look at the 65 thru 68 Mustangs fastback and coupes you can see that the coupe (notch back) does not have a b pillar and fastbacks do have a b pillar. later model fastbacks from 69 to 73 didnt have a b pillar. The 80s to early 90s had a hatchback and then 94 to 2004 (which includes ours) had what was described when it first came out as a- fastback coupe- but after awhile it was just refered to as a coupe. For me its a fastback, but its all in the eyes of the beholder I guess.

Last edited:

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I think there only needs to be a delineation when there is a model that has both. The original fastback came about because there was already a coupe, and they needed to show it was different. There is no need for that with this model.

Users who are viewing this thread