Are new Spark Plugs needed if.....

Orange Poison

Established Member
I only plan to do a Lightning 2.93 and custom tune from a reputable tuner....

Right now, I only have a Borla CB and CAI....Do I need to change the spark plugs with the pulley & tune, or is it cool (safe) to still run the the motorcraft plugs???

Thanks!:)

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
hey tony :D

not a RR pulley? :( if u just get the 2.93 with no idlers u should slip alot!...shit i slipped alot with a 3.00 pulley.

juan ran his car with stock plugs until just 2 months ago with out issue but why not just play it safe and get some NKG or Auto Lites?

who is Mr Reputable by chance?

Orange Poison

Established Member
Hey Dave,

Great to see you back!

That's a cool pic of your Mach1....

Thanks for the info. I bought an L 2.93 because it was steel, a Ford part(oh well), and I wanted that sleeper look by putting back on the pulley cover. Mostly everyone I have talked to.....the L 2.93 does not slip (that much) with a 74 inch gatorback. RedFireVert used this combo with great results.

As for the tuner...either that guy out in Torrance or that guy out in Anahiem;-)

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
nothing wrong with motorcraft plugs, I had to just recently throw out my NGK's, went back to platinum motorcraft plugs and things are much better.

you generally do not need to replace your plugs, however as you increase boost it is common to have to make the gap smaller (hence make the plug "colder") to reduce spark blowout.

you really want to keep the gap as hot as you can so when you run into problems make them a little colder. No reason to, for example, jump to a really cold plug right off the bat.

also there isnt anything unsafe about keeping your current plugs.
In my case it was safer to stay with them. (mind you my NGK's seemed fine for about a weekk then problems started happening)
lots of people change them out without any problems but unless you really really need to dont. in your case you probably wont need to but a tuner (while your car is on a dyno) would be able to tell you more reliably.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue Poison
Hey Dave,

Great to see you back!

That's a cool pic of your Mach1....

Thanks for the info. I bought an L 2.93 because it was steel, a Ford part(oh well), and I wanted that sleeper look by putting back on the pulley cover. Mostly everyone I have talked to.....the L 2.93 does not slip (that much) with a 74 inch gatorback. RedFireVert used this combo with great results.

As for the tuner...either that guy out in Torrance or that guy out in Anahiem;-)

yeah i like the stock look and seems like every one is going with the bling bling stuff.

hum...ok id watch the numbers on the dyno and look for spikes on the A/F. with the 3.00 and no idlers it was really waiveee but when i went with the 2.80 and 2 aux idlers a/f straighten out and numbers were smooth and since the 3.00 slipped so much danny didnt need to mess with the tune. A/F was still 11.7.

well careful on anaheim....george is going back to torrance and another guy who isnt a member on any boards is also when he just blew his 03 Cobra Motor.

FYI u can always change the 2 90mm idlers to 100mm idlers to help with slip. 740 gates belt will wrap it just fine. plus it will still look stock :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread