• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Are headers worth it on my setup?

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by Dawilson85, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:15 AM.

1. Dawilson85

Dawilson85 New Member Established Member

Ok so I bit the bullet and picked up a Whipple 2.3, intake and TB. I plan on running the 3.0 pulley and have the following already done to the car.

60# Injectors
    SCT BA2600
    KB Boost A Pump
    Magnaflow Catback

I'm going to put a Prochamber in place of the factory h and cats but what would the benefit of going long tubes be on this setup? Are they worth the extra cost?

A buddy of mine wants me to do a k member and coil overs to make it easier to service the engine and install the headers, from what I am seeing that would be an extra $800+/- and caster camber plates at $200 +/- bringing the cost of a header install up to around $1600+/- including purchasing the headers. Is the extra cost for the front suspension components worth it at all?

2. BlckBox04

BlckBox04 I am the liquor Established Member

Absolutely. More air flow helps the car breath better, less restriction, more power.

3. LethalBlake

LethalBlake Active Member Established Member

Headers in my opinion are always beneficial especially on a boosted set up, i would recommend going with a off road set up if you do not have to worry about emissions.

me32 and Revvv like this.
  4. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member Established Member

This has been a huge debate over the years. The headers should make a difference but there have been guys making well into 700 rwhp on the stock manifolds.

TP 112 likes this.
  5. 94slowbra1

94slowbra1 Well-Known Member Established Member

headers will in most all cases will be better for an engine than the stock manifolds. how much depends on your set up. and the bang for the buck may not always be there. your $1600+ for headers may be spent elsewhere that gives a bigger impact right now, but at the end of the day headers will be better than the factory manifolds

6. GodStang

GodStang Well-Known Member Established Member

This is always a statement that has bothered me. With the right setup you can make 1000rwhp on stock logs. With the right setup you probably could make 1500rwhp on stock logs. It does not mean that you can't make more with LTs. You will make more power out of better scavenging/flowing exhaust. The amount and the "worth it" depends on your setup, money spent, and what "worth it" means to you.

I have done headers with Stock K-member and with a MM K-member and lord is it way easier to do it with an aftermarket one.

JetmechF16 likes this.
  7. Revvv

Revvv Infinity Poster Established Member

Exhaust scavenging is the main key when it comes to a full exhaust. You want each pulse of hot gas to pull the next pulse out of the exhaust with it. You don't want an exhaust that is too large either. Like others have said, long tube headers almost always help with a better exhaust flow,and they normally make more power. However, there are a lot of people making nice HP numbers on the stock, cast iron manifolds.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

8. Bdubbs

Bdubbs u even lift bro? Established Member

I'd so no. I have ARH headers, tvs 2.3, 21lbs, e85, ect.

If I had to do it all over again I'd probably keep the stockers on. They sound awesome. But having a header gasket leak would really suck.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9. blownstang4.6

blownstang4.6 Active Member Established Member

No. Keep the stock manifolds. Not worth the cost and hassle install for minimal gain.

10. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Established Member

Do you plan on road racing the car at all? If this is strictly a street car i would not go coil overs with kmember. The ride and added nosie can be harsh for alot of people.

11. Dawilson85

No, the car is mainly just a weekend cruiser, car show, cruise in with the occasional trip to the track. I bought it last October before the weather turned in PA and have only put about 400 miles on it this year. LethalBlake was actually able to hook me up with a more affordable option on the K Member to keep my stock a arms and stock suspension but will help with the long tube install.

Now I just need to wait for the UPS man to get my stuff to me!

12. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Established Member

I agree keep your stock LCA and just add a set of springs of your choice. The factory shocks are actually pretty good with aftermarket springs.

13. 4sdvenom

4sdvenom Never Enough! Established Member

What K member if you don’t mind?
    I want to go tubular for less weight and header clearance but not sure I want the added NVH and creaks with coil overs.

Thanks
    Ken

14. Dawilson85

It was a UPR Mild Steel unit on his site with the UPR spring perches added to it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

15. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

I guess ride and noise are subjective. I have MM coilovers all the way around and the only noise I get is the occasional pop when backing out of my driveway because I didn't clearance the flange on the frame rail enough. As for ride, it rides better than most of my friends cars that are lowered.

16. 94slowbra1

94slowbra1 Well-Known Member Established Member

My MM coilovers ride better that the h&r race springs.

slo984now likes this.
  17. hotcobra03

hotcobra03 Well-Known Member Established Member

Sound sound sound.

I have no issues with leaks at heads using the oem metal gasket over and over and over

If possible use oem studs also. Never a loose nut.