Are convertible Termis bad?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
People prefer coupes BeCaUsE rAcE cAr.

Testosterone says that coupes are more manly than verts.

Verts are considered inferior in performance due to the perceived (and somewhat justified) lack of chassis rigidity due to the first statement. The fact is that once you start going fast, you're going to stiffen the chassis regardless so vert vs coupe doesn't matter as much.

Bottom line: a Terminator vert will always be better than no Terminator at all.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I am not a fan of verts but will say that I have piloted an 03 vert that was every bit as solid as my PP ‘14 GT500 coupe. That thing was SOLID at speed. Obviously modded suspension and very well done.

Last edited:

tcas4200

I have owned both a vert and coupe. (No longer have vert but still have coupe). My view is that for my needs: Fun to drive weekend car that never sees the track and never over 100-110-ish the vert was a great car. Both were 100% stock FYI. Verts are great in the warm sunny weather which may be a plus and I only sold mine due to life circumstances and eventually picked up the coupe that I still have.

efurlong

Established Member
Full disclosure...I'm a vert guy. I've had quite a few including a SY Termi that I bought new. Currently a 13 GT500. Honestly...I only use my "Mustangs" in nice weather, I love the option of lowering the top. I love the look of the top up or down. I've had a few hard tops as well. At this point, I'd only consider a vert if I was in the market. Look at the values of older classic mustangs, verts command much more $$. Our cars will do the same someday. BTW - Verts have always weighed more & had more flex. Doesn't matter.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
My 2 cents if you want a 00R clone get a 01 Cobra has a better IRS than the 99. Although the 99 IRS could be upgraded easy, it has the front bumper so add the lower valence. I’d look for one that’s in good shape with a blown motor and coyote swap it to me that’s the best route with what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Termi Verts are great. Terminator verts are even better. Then you do suspension mods and a substantial set of subframes and you can lift a tire going out of a driveway. Ask me how I know...
Still don't know why people use "Termi" instead of "Cobra" - same number of letters and way more normal

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
saying termi makes people feel a little more special because it of how the name came to be and it also separates the 03-04 Cobra from the rest of the pleb cobras on the road.

to put it another way: termi = smoll pp
cobra = big pp

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
saying termi makes people feel a little more special because it of how the name came to be and it also separates the 03-04 Cobra from the rest of the pleb cobras on the road.

to put it another way: termi = smoll pp
cobra = big pp
TER MIN A TOR

Not that hard to say, not hard to spell.

Termi sounds like an STD. "Aww **** my boyfriend have me the termies!!"

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_6125.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
If I had to have just one car it would have to a drop top. It can do everything that I want to do as far as performance and on those special days it will do what a coupe can't.

badmpg03

Established Member
If you like the R, this guy pulled it off fairly well imo - '03 with 2.3 Whipple, with R bumper, wing. Kept 03/04 side skirts & rear bumper, and color is black - not an original R color
I have seen another in yellow I liked with R front bumper and Saleen rear spoiler. Looked great, and I like some of the body panels

But don't make a replica with all R body panels & red paint......

IMG-7032.JPG
IMG-7033.JPG
IMG-7034.JPG

dom418

Established Member
Either you’re a vert guy or not. As for values, nearly 20 years after their release, low mile verts are easier to locate but bring less money than coupes. They are less desirable. Who knows what’s going to happen 20 years from now. You can always make a vert more rigid so buy what you like.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
the 03-04 cobra coupe will always fetch a premium over a vert because the vert goes against the principal of what the 03-04 cobra was designed for in most people's opinion.

its quite the opposite back in earlier cobras. they were intentionally softer, more docile cars with a little performance in their era, hence the verts usually go for a little more.

i still maintain that if you buy an 03-04 cobra and you mod it, SFCs and chassis reinforcement should be mandatory and at that point, both chassis are going to be basically equal stiffness. of course the coupe will always be slightly stiffer but both chassis with be strong enough that it wouldnt matter so long as the car is able to have a license plate on it for the state you live in.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
the 03-04 cobra coupe will always fetch a premium over a vert because the vert goes against the principal of what the 03-04 cobra was designed for in most people's opinion.
Historic sales of older gen cars that were built with the same principle would counter your position. Have a look at 60s/70s muscle car sales.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Historic sales of older gen cars that were built with the same principle would counter your position. Have a look at 60s/70s muscle car sales.
damn if you don't have one of the coolest garages on this site Goose.
And yes, look at the value of a 60s gt500 convertible vs a coupe...

Users who are viewing this thread