Are catted X pipes legal in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I'm looking to add a borla catback and a Bassani catted X to my Cobra (after it gets a new drives side head...).

I ahve a question though. while pricing X pipes online, numerous sites have a disclaimer that they are for off road use only and not legal on CA public roads. why have cats on and off road vehicle?...

does anyone know the answer to this, or am I stuck buying an H?

angus18

Established Member
No they are not, your not allowed to touch the midpipe in anyway

this is correct. i run bassani catted x and borla stingers on mine. when i get smog i just change my x to my stock h pipe. if you do change it watch out because cops can/will give you a ticket for noise.

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
i was looking at lethalperformance and they claim that magnaflow's catted x pipes are 50 state legal.

moonltgold

The stock cats cannot be moved so aftermarket cats are illegal. You can cut & weld an X or bigger H behind them no problem. Magnaflow does make a shory X that you can weld behind the stock cats and they advertise that as "50-state legal".

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
i was looking at lethalperformance and they claim that magnaflow's catted x pipes are 50 state legal.

The funny thing is that if you are in CA just about all online performance sites wont even ship to CA.... I tried getting a factory mid pipe for my fox and went to summit and jegs and neither one of them would ship to CA, even tho the part I was asking for was deemed legal by CA CAFE laws....

bitemark

Established Member
Weird.... I have definitely had a Bassani catted X on my first two Saleens and now the cobra and have gotten them all smogged just fine.

I've gone down in uniform (police department here in CA), and not in uniform for different vehicles and they haven't even mentioned it once...

just my .02

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Weird.... I have definitely had a Bassani catted X on my first two Saleens and now the cobra and have gotten them all smogged just fine.

I've gone down in uniform (police department here in CA), and not in uniform for different vehicles and they haven't even mentioned it once...

just my .02

thanks for the input.

I have been looking and it seems that catted X's are legal if certified for 50 states. Some are O/R even when catted and some are meant for public roads. I guess it takes actually speaking with the manufacturers (as hard as they make it to get a hold of them).

One question though... what are you running in your catback? I am looking at the Borla setup.

20psirabbit

Established Member
it depends on the smog guy, some ask if you've changed the cats, some just look under the car and they see cats that's as far as they go. FWIW i've got a magnaflow catted x and my car passed on a dyno all legit.

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
thanks for the input.

I have been looking and it seems that catted X's are legal if certified for 50 states. Some are O/R even when catted and some are meant for public roads. I guess it takes actually speaking with the manufacturers (as hard as they make it to get a hold of them).

One question though... what are you running in your catback? I am looking at the Borla setup.

their is a reason they none of the catted mid pipes don't have a CARB number, if it doesn't have that California, doesn't give two craps if the president says you can have it on the car... true it depends on the smog guy, but if he got caught doing that he would have his smog license revoked and out of a job..

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
I have a high flow catted bassani X on my Terminator, and I just smogged it. It blew dirty, as to be expected, but it passed, and nothing was mentioned at all about it. Didn't have to switch out the stocker.

sonicowboy

He>I
Established Member
I live in Orange County (La Habra) and have been using after market h, x and pro-chambers for years. The law states that unless the factory cat's have been damaged, they must not be removed. But some times you just gotta say **** it! Every mustang (7 included) have all passed both the visual inspection as well as the sniffer test with out a snag. I have been to "test only centers" & some of the strickest guys ever (just my luck) & never a mention of the after market cats. I currently have a mac pro chamber and purchased some stainless steel bullet style spun small high flow cats (search ebay for high flow cats)...had them welded in & just had a smog done. It passed just fine & again, no mention of the after market cats!

2003 SONIC TERMINATOR (8000 MILES), SONIC BLUE JLT CAI, MAC PRO-CHAMBER STAINLESS W/HI-FLOW CATS, MAC 2.5" CAT BACK STAINLESS, B&M PRO RIPPER SHIFTER, DIABLO FLIP CHIP, 441 RWHP, 412 RWTQ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread