Are all x pipes created equal?

dom418

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance but I was wondering if I would notice a difference in sound from the many different o/r x pipes on the market assuming the muffflers were the same. Eventually I want to do stingers but my question is would there be a difference in sound from let's say a bassani x pipe vs some less expensive ones like upr, pypes etc. the cheaper ones look like they are just the 2 pipes welded together while the bassani looks the the gases actually do cross. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

1badsvtcobra

Established Member
Ive only tried 3 & from my experience the tone and loudness is a little different the bassani are stainless steel and to me they sound like they have more rasp, & because of their slip on design I had some leaks that I would readjust and fix then the leaks would come back so I ended up just welding them to cure the problem. I've had fitment issues with the bbk x pipe the top flanges didn't fit perfect it was all a one piece and every car is a little tiny bit different so because you cant adjust once again I had this small annoying leak and it didn't sound as loud as the bassani, then finally I got a Mac X pipe, and its my all favorite, it's a 2 piece so makes alignment to the top flanges easy, no leaks, sounds is great very loud and smooth and price is just right. I've installed it on my 97 cobra, 03 cobra, my brothers 01 cobra and two of my friends 01 gt and always same results awesome sound and perfect fitment.

Last edited:

CamdZ06

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance but I was wondering if I would notice a difference in sound from the many different o/r x pipes on the market assuming the muffflers were the same. Eventually I want to do stingers but my question is would there be a difference in sound from let's say a bassani x pipe vs some less expensive ones like upr, pypes etc. the cheaper ones look like they are just the 2 pipes welded together while the bassani looks the the gases actually do cross. Any help is appreciated.

Yes of course! I've had different mid pipes on my car starting from an Mrt Catted h pipe with Borla Stingers. It was loud but a little raspy at higher throttle. I then switched to a Magnaflow o/r x pipe and it was still loud but different kind of sound (clean at first but then raspier at high throttle). I switched to a Bassani X (gutted cats). Very clean sounding, but not loud enough. I now have a Bassani X Off Road and its a bit raspy but i think after switching so many different exhaust combinations, it is the best sounding. I literally cannot take my car out without people asking what exhaust i am running! : )

SVTwhore

Established Member
Yes of course! I've had different mid pipes on my car starting from an Mrt Catted h pipe with Borla Stingers. It was loud but a little raspy at higher throttle. I then switched to a Magnaflow o/r x pipe and it was still loud but different kind of sound (clean at first but then raspier at high throttle). I switched to a Bassani X (gutted cats). Very clean sounding, but not loud enough. I now have a Bassani X Off Road and its a bit raspy but i think after switching so many different exhaust combinations, it is the best sounding. I literally cannot take my car out without people asking what exhaust i am running! : )

I agree with the Bassani O/R X pipe, I got compliments a lot with that setup. I have since switched to a Mac ProChamber with some MagnaFlow highflow converters and miss the Bassani, current setup is pretty quiet.. I'll be changing it out at some point again but I'll be waiting until I get a set of Kook's LT's and mid pipe.

mach1033

Established Member
I know Dr gas is a true x design. To bad they closed shop. I bought mine right before they did. I also had the magnaflow x pipe along with lethals LT x pipe. No issues with either one.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
They def are not. Merge X is much better than a stamped clam shell style like most companies use. Bassani and Magnaflow are both stamped. SLP makes a nice merge style.

4a7191a

Established Member
check out VRSexhaust.com
i picked up the xpipe for my mac longtubes and i was very happy with the fit and quality.

Users who are viewing this thread