Are all cats created equal?

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I just bought a 98 cobra convertible and it has off road pipe with borla xr-1 (I think) and magnaflow tailpipes. I do like the way it sounds but that exhaust smell is gonna get old really damn quick. If I just buy the cheapest cats will that make the smell go away or should I get something like the magnaflow cats which are $352 for the pair?

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Can attest to aftermarket cats not lasting very long; the Ford dealership I bought my Lightning from had to install a pair to legally get the truck sold, and I'm assuming they weren't the greatest. Was able to smog it a handful of times over the years and it did pass, but at about 10k miles, they were rattling (relatively stock engine).

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
If you dont want to go back to stock cats and you want something that is actually legal and EPA approved, not to mention they are Hi Performance cats.....these are what you need. Just my opinion but its what Im going to use when my stock cats need replacement.....

Zemedici

Established Member
If you dont want to go back to stock cats and you want something that is actually legal and EPA approved, not to mention they are Hi Performance cats.....these are what you need. Just my opinion but its what Im going to use when my stock cats need replacement.....

Came to recommend these

Good man

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Came to recommend these

Good man
They are a bit expensive.......but I did extensive research on these and these are by far one of, if not the best on the market. IMO...... All this non sense that cats restrict exhaust flow is not true.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member

Honestly, I just wanted something to make the smell go away. Hasn't really bugged me a ton yet because it's only noticeable when sitting at a red light or whatever. Here in Nashville, we just quit doing emissions this year so being legal is no longer a concern as far as this.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, I just wanted something to make the smell go away. Hasn't really bugged me a ton yet because it's only noticeable when sitting at a red light or whatever. Here in Nashville, we just quit doing emissions this year so being legal is no longer a concern as far as this.
Thats good to hear! Beautiful State..... its also on my retirement radar for places to retire. Good to know that state emissions wont effect my cars shall I move there one day.

Users who are viewing this thread