Are 315's possible on the rear of a 03-04 Cobra???

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
VintagePorscheG said:
This thread is dumb, I have button head bolts and 315 Sumitomos on my stock rims.

Which really shows your stupidity, as two posts above explains that section width varies by tire manufacturer.

Hence, your Sumi's run a little on the narrow side, PLUS you're running them on a rim that is a touch too narrow, which results in the sidewalls pulling in and away from the IRS bolt. Thus, you have no problem especially combined with the button heads.

Thanks for being so helpful :kaboom:

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
Top Fuel...great post:bowdown: That should be sticky'd.
Agreed and bookmarked.

Defintely one of the most informative postings concerning this subject matter that I have had the pleasure to read since being a SVTP member.

The Discount Tire Direct Forum, the New Edge Forum, etc. could use information like this.
Definately worthy of being stick'd somewhere.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys(especially Top Fuel)...this cleared up a lot of concerns I had with putting "extra" wide tires on my Cobra.

I don't know why VintagePorscheG called it a stupid thread, I actually thought it was great???

Thanks again...

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
To the original poster: Just do a solid axle swap :pepper: :pepper:

No thanks...I've owned 5 other Mustangs, all 5.0s with solid rear axles but one was stroked out to 347 cubes. I'll keep the IRS for now and may consider a solid rear down the road...maybe???

Later...Dave

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Sweet, some guy from central Alabama thinks I am stupid. LOL

My point was, there have been 500 threads on this topic, and yeah you can run 315 tires on stock rims...

BADMOFO - Yes I like them a lot, they lasted all summer and I should get some more use out of them next spring. Plus you can't beat the price. They are harder compound but grip really well. Proper inflation is the key to making them work right.

"If I have seen further than others, it is because I stood on the shoulders of Giants." - A. Einstein.

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
SCT2003 said:
No thanks...I've owned 5 other Mustangs, all 5.0s with solid rear axles but one was stroked out to 347 cubes. I'll keep the IRS for now and may consider a solid rear down the road...maybe???

Later...Dave

Both have great advantages but also have very visible drawbacks. Kind of a 'pick your poison' scenario. Personally, I went with the solid axle & am going to top it off with a maximum motorsports torque arm/panhard rod setup. It should handle like a dream, hook like a mutha, and have zero wheel hop:banana: :pepper: :banana:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Can I put 315s on the stock wheels?

Yes...any 315 can be mounted on a stock 9" Cobra wheel. The question is, will you like the way it looks. The sidewalls WILL bulge out when you do this. This is why most tire manufacturers recommend at least a 10-10.5" wide wheel for 315s. Because some 315s are smaller than others, you can mount them on stock wheels and they won't bulge that much.

Nittos are probably the most popular 315 that people mount on stock wheels. This is because Nittos are the smallest (most narrow) 315 tire available. These tires are probably closer to being 285s or 295s. Here are some pictures of Nitto 315 on stock Cobra wheels...

315_Nittos.jpg

2004_0112misc0031.JPG

2004_0112misc0032.JPG

2004_0112misc0034.JPG

JoesStangnewrims28-vi.jpg

Sumitomo and Dunlops are slightly wider than Nittos, but aren't as wide as Goodyears/BFGs. If you put a Sumitomo or Dunlop 315 on the stock wheels, the sidewall would bulge about the same amount as a Nitto 315.

Now lets talk about the widest 315s out there: BFG and Goodyear. These 315s are nearly a full inch wider than Nitto 315s. Can you put Goodyear/BFG 315s on stock wheels? Yes. Will it bulge a lot more than the Nittos do? Absolutely. You'll have to make the decision for yourself whether you think this is acceptable. Here are pics of BFG 315s on the stock wheel:

attachment.php

attachment.php

NOTE: I've heard of tire shops refusing to install 315s on 9" wheels because their computer says it can't (or shouldn't) be done. Check out THIS thread.

mytjojo

Established Member
1st thing.. yes I also have 315 nitto's on the stock rims no rub at all

2nd and I apologize if this has been answerd but... just got 18" 10x9 DD fr500's will Nitto 305's fit with no rub. I would like 315's but I don't think Nitto makes a 315 18

Thanks

Last edited:

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
I got one of the last pair of the M/T dr's from lethal in 315/30/18's....stock suspension I needed the IRS bolts, and a 1/4 spacer to fit.....

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I ordered some 315 35 17 nitto dr's last night. Ill post up some pics of them on my stock cobra rims with a sra once they come in and i get them mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread